markk0719 Registered User
#436

Hey folks,

Im starting Psychology in September and am wondering what the reading list for first year is like and is there any books I should definitely buy?
Thanks in advance for any advice!!

D_s Registered User
#437

Wow, no engineering in this thread?

Any NUIM engineers here can give me an insight?

Cathal B Registered User
#438

I havent seen it any where in this tread so far. But if anybody could give me any information on it, it would be greatly appreciated.
e.g. what you thought of the course?
how many hours a week?
thanks in advance
Cathal

Geo10 Registered User
#439

Hi, I hope to be doing Arts this year and I plan to take Geography, Business & Economics. I'm aware what the modules in each of these are and what they entail (from the NUIM website) but one thing that I was wondering about was the Continuous Assesment. If anyone did any of these 3 subjects in 1st year can you give me a summary of what the CA entails? Like is it essays or class tests or...? Especially for the People & Places module in Geography (GY124) and the Business Landscape module in Business (MN172) as they are both 100% CA. Are those modules easier or more challenging because of that?
If anyone could give me any information it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#440

Geo10 said:
Hi, I hope to be doing Arts this year and I plan to take Geography, Business & Economics. I'm aware what the modules in each of these are and what they entail (from the NUIM website) but one thing that I was wondering about was the Continuous Assesment. If anyone did any of these 3 subjects in 1st year can you give me a summary of what the CA entails? Like is it essays or class tests or...? Especially for the People & Places module in Geography (GY124) and the Business Landscape module in Business (MN172) as they are both 100% CA. Are those modules easier or more challenging because of that?
If anyone could give me any information it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!


I'm a finance and Economics Student with a minor in geography. So I have info on Economics and Geography.

GY124 is 100% continuous assessment. A lot of the marks go for group work. Particularly a group glossary. If you submit all of your assignments it is nearly impossible to fail and very easy to get a high mark in the subject. You get marks for attending lectures and tutorials. Almost all of the assignments are very short - they generally have a limit of 300 words. You are encouraged to get as much information as possible in the smallest amount of words.

From what I remember Gy114 was marked from tutorials and small assigments to be submitted before the turorial, these are every second week.One Multiple choice test and an exam at the end of the year

GY123 consists of one mid semester MCQ worth 33.33% and one exam.

Im not sure but I think GY111 was one MCQ and one exam.

For economics -
Microeconomics EC101 You will have to attend a tutorial every week, they are worth 5% of your finAal grade. You will have two longish assignment worth 10% (5% each) an MCQ worth 10% and the final exam.

Macroeconomics EC102. There will be one MCQ(10%) and one Long assignment (10%) - you should work on this from the start of the semester/as soon as it is given. There will also be the exam. You must attend one computer lab and one tutorial on alternating weeks. Worth 5%

Macroeconomics 2 EC101B - There will be an MCQ worth 10% and Two assignments/set of questions worth 5% each. There will then be one tutorial per week, worth 5% and the final exam.

Quantitative Analysis EC105A - Sounds more difficult that it is. You have two assignments 5% each, once MCQ at 10% and tutorials/labs on alternating weeks worth 5%. Plus the final exam.

The economics assignments were generally short enough (A few pages with the graphs). They were a mix of giving opinions, working out definite answers/solving problems creating graphs and excel spreadsheets and analysing data. You will be asked to "discuss" relevant news paper articles and provide possible solutions to problems presented.

If you have any questions just ask me

1 person has thanked this post
Geo10 Registered User
#441

DylanII said:


I'm a finance and Economics Student with a minor in geography. So I have info on Economics and Geography.

GY124 is 100% continuous assessment. A lot of the marks go for group work. Particularly a group glossary. If you submit all of your assignments it is nearly impossible to fail and very easy to get a high mark in the subject. You get marks for attending lectures and tutorials. Almost all of the assignments are very short - they generally have a limit of 300 words. You are encouraged to get as much information as possible in the smallest amount of words.

From what I remember Gy114 was marked from tutorials and small assigments to be submitted before the turorial, these are every second week.One Multiple choice test and an exam at the end of the year

GY123 consists of one mid semester MCQ worth 33.33% and one exam.

Im not sure but I think GY111 was one MCQ and one exam.

For economics -
Microeconomics EC101 You will have to attend a tutorial every week, they are worth 5% of your finAal grade. You will have two longish assignment worth 10% (5% each) an MCQ worth 10% and the final exam.

Macroeconomics EC102. There will be one MCQ(10%) and one Long assignment (10%) - you should work on this from the start of the semester/as soon as it is given. There will also be the exam. You must attend one computer lab and one tutorial on alternating weeks. Worth 5%

Macroeconomics 2 EC101B - There will be an MCQ worth 10% and Two assignments/set of questions worth 5% each. There will then be one tutorial per week, worth 5% and the final exam.

Quantitative Analysis EC105A - Sounds more difficult that it is. You have two assignments 5% each, once MCQ at 10% and tutorials/labs on alternating weeks worth 5%. Plus the final exam.

The economics assignments were generally short enough (A few pages with the graphs). They were a mix of giving opinions, working out definite answers/solving problems creating graphs and excel spreadsheets and analysing data. You will be asked to "discuss" relevant news paper articles and provide possible solutions to problems presented.

If you have any questions just ask me


Thank you so much for giving me all that information! I really appreciate it!

LedZeppelin Registered User
#442

Really?? said:
I'm considering going back as a mature next year. I'm looking at MH110 BA Digital Media. My worry is about how much maths might be involved as I am lost when it comes to maths.
I do have a huge interest in digital media, should I be offput by the maths element?


Howdy

I just completed 1st year of this course.
Firstly, in first year you study compulsory media and computer science modules and then you can pick an arts subject to study along with it.
After first year you have the option of either dropping your arts subject or dropping computer science.

Secondly, when it comes to choosing your arts subject, you don't have to pick maths and the computer science modules don't involve maths. (at least in what Ive done so far.) So you can avoid it altogether!

Thirdly, if you do decide to pick maths as your arts subject, it's not too bad. In my opinion the worst module is Calculus but as long as you go to lectures, do the assignments etc you'll do fine. Theres also a maths support centre on campus for any extra help you need

If you're passionate for digital media then go for it! Hope this helps.

ItsJustLaura Registered User
#443

Hey guys.. So I'm doing my leaving cert this year and I was considering doing Arts in NUIM next year. I think I want to be a teacher when I'm older but I am undecided between secondary and primary so I think Arts could be the best way to go. My problem is the subjects I should choose. Business, Maths, Nua Gaeilge, Music, Pyschology and Law all appeal to me. At the moment I have nua gaelige and music at the top of my list. I'm afraid that Irish could be too difficult for me. I have a great interest in it and I do enjoy it but I find the grammar difficult. I don't go to an Irish speaking school nor have I been at the Gaeltacht so I'm worried my standard of Irish would not be high enough. I'm hoping to get a B in the LC in Irish. I also think Irish would be very beneficial for Primary teaching. Anyone with any advice on the standard of Irish needed would be greatly appreciated! Also seriously considering music as a subject. I enjoy music at school and I play the piano. What is music like in NUIM? I don't sing, would that be a problem? Is the music like Leaving Cert music? I'm aiming for a high B in the LC. As well as that I have been looking into maths. I find maths a bit hard but I do enjoy it. I'm at a C at higher level at school. Is the maths very difficult compared to the Leaving Cert? Any advice on business, psychology and law would also be very greatly appreciated! I'm really confused about this whole situation. Everyone keeps putting me off arts saying its a useless degree but I don't know. Also what is NUIM like as a college? Thanks in advance for all your help

itsgrand Registered User
#444

Do what you're most interested in. If your over grade 6 in piano music is a good choice. You will get first study tuition with usually a good teacher. If you continue to play all 3 years you'd save well over 1,000 euro on tuition alone. It's not particularly difficult either, you'll get whatever result you do the work for...There are some cool modules but most of it is musicological.

An Arts degree is an excellent stepping stone, people who tell you an arts degree is useless usually look at the world from a DEGREE = JOB perspective.

NUIM is a great college you'll love it.

PM if you need any more info on the music course

1 person has thanked this post
littleblackDRS Registered User
#445

I know a lot of people do psychology because they think it will be really interesting,but bear in mind, 1st year psychology in NUIM starts with biology and statistics, and a lot of people are really disappointed with that.

Westeros Registered User
#446

Can only repeat what 'itsgrand' has said, do what interests you most! It'll make your whole college experience better if you're doing something you enjoy

I've just completed my first year in Maynooth this year and studied Business as one of my Arts subjects. Personally I really like Business. I never studied it for my Leaving Cert, but I really enjoyed it for Junior Cert. Business in Maynooth is really one of those subjects where you do not need to have it done up to LC level.

In semester 1 I had 2 Business modules which added up to 4 hours a week. One module was 100% exam at Christmas and the other module consisted of an end of year exam worth 60% and a group project completed around November worth 40%. Both lecturers brought in some guest speakers, one speaker was a lecturer in Kentucky who came to give a presentation of what he teaches there (I believe our lecturer also went over to Kentucky to give a presentation).

In semester 2 then I had another 2 modules, adding up to 4 hours a week again. One module was 100% exam again and the other 100% continuous assessment. For the continuous assessment module there was a 40% group assignment and 60% came from the short quizzes completed online - 10 quizzes at 6% each. For this module the lecturer had guest speakers from various business' around the country come in and speak to us. This is where he drew up the questions for the online quizzes (unlike semester 1 speakers these guest speakers are examined). These quizzes had 6 questions and you were allowed 20 minutes to complete them. Also, they are open-book quizzes. Basic notes from each guest speaker are provided online and you can take extra notes in class if you want to. This year, our class created a Facebook page dedicated to 1st year business where we posted star slides (missing slides that will be examined) for those who couldn't make lectures or those who didn't bother coming in Though you will find this is a huge help!

I thoroughly enjoyed Business this year, met some great people and the group work is a big part of it. While the idea of group work seems daunting at first it is an excellent way of meeting new people. In comparison to other modules Business does not have a big workload, 2 group assignments, 10 short quizzes and no tutorials. A relatively nice module to pass!

As regards Maynooth as a college, you will love it! Great atmosphere, very homely, the people are extremely friendly, easy to settle in to and the Student's Union is great!

Hope this was useful! Best of luck with the rest of your exams

1 person has thanked this post
jDicey Registered User
#447

Is it a bad idea to choose three entirely unrelated subjects for first year Arts? I would ultimately like a degree in astrophysics and cosmology, so I'm going with theoretical physics, of course. Maths is (are?) crucial, however I'm American - horrible education system - and I studied at an art school which neglected to teach me any trigonometry or calculus. That being said, I think I would fail miserably in a straight up Maths course and have planned to study music and geography as my second and third choices. Is this decision going to bite me in the a** down the road?

In addition, is it possible for me to switch degrees after a year or so in Arts? I had applied to General Science and Physics, but alas, did not have enough science under my belt to meet the qualifications! *sigh*

And while I'm here, I may as well ask: Is there a simple way to go about explaining how grading works? In the States they grade A-F, but I have seen Irish students receiving 2:2, 2:1, etc, and it makes no sense whatsoever to me.

How so Joe Registered User
#448

Okay, I'm not a science student, nor have I ever been, so these are my comments for you.
1) astrophysics in Maynooth is part of the department of experimental physics, not theoretical physics
2) geometry is not a subject on its own in Maynooth
3) as far as I'm aware, maths in Maynooth teaches from the very basics, so you should be able to catch up if you take maths on.
4) studying two or three unrelated subjects in your arts degree is fine - I did French and Law, which could not have been more different, but thoroughly enjoyed them both.
5) I wouldn't say that music is your second choice - unless you're doing a major/minor, whatever you choose to keep in second year will be absolutely equal in terms of priority to your physics - half of your year's credits will be for each subject.
6) if you think you would fail miserably at maths, may I ask why you want to do mathematical physics? While they're obviously different, you need quite strong maths skills to succeed at m.phys, surely?
7) grading system
0-39% - fail
40-44% - pass
45-49% - third class honours
50-59% - second class honours, grade 2 (2.2)
60-69% - second class honours, grade 1 (2.1)
70+ - first class honours
If you want to know more about marks and things, have a look here.

jDicey Registered User
#449

Ah, you're a gem. I meant geography, but I couldn't get mathematics out of my head. Haha. I grasp what I have studied of maths very well, but looking at the modules it seems they start right off with calc which was really my main concern there as I've never taken a calculus course. Thank you so much!

TheGoldenAges Registered User
#450

jDicey said:
Ah, you're a gem. I meant geography, but I couldn't get mathematics out of my head. Haha. I grasp what I have studied of maths very well, but looking at the modules it seems they start right off with calc which was really my main concern there as I've never taken a calculus course. Thank you so much!


I did maths through arts this year and found it challenging but rewarding. Calculus wouldn't be my strongest field but I found it manageable. The maths support centre is great if you need extra help but I found the tutorials to be all the help you need.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!