MrCreosote Registered User
#46

What a great day. the weather made it! Not too hot for the half- felt a bit sorry for the full marathon runners though. Second half of the half was tougher, but the views!

Anybody else missing their name from the results by the way?

TFBubendorfer Moderator
#47

I enjoyed it very much, but I found it very hard going over the last 5 miles. I think the heat got to me, but then again I was doing the full marathon. I felt very good until my legs started cramping on that blasted hill.

Race report is available here, if anyone wants to know.

3 people have thanked this post
Slogger Jogger Registered User
#48

Great report Thomas. 12th in 3:12 in such a tough marathon is a great achievement. Well done.

RacoonQueen Moderator
#49

Great result. It was a relief to turn off at 13 miles and power down towards the finish line. It must have been awful for full runners to see people turning off like that.

Blueskye Registered User
#50

Wow well done Thomas. Brilliant race report. Thanks.

glasso Registered User
#51

my first ever event since taking up jogging a few months ago - enjoyed it. got a finish just outside the top 100. how does it compare with other 1/2 marathons in terms of difficulty?

TFBubendorfer Moderator
#52

glasso said:
my first ever event since taking up jogging a few months ago - enjoyed it. got a finish just outside the top 100. how does it compare with other 1/2 marathons in terms of difficulty?


Well Done!

Without a shadow of a doubt, this is one of the more difficult half marathons you are going to come across. In Ireland, the Connemara Half might be tougher, the rest are easier (though the Dingle Full is tougher than the Connemara Full, in my opinion).

MrCreosote Registered User
#53

Great report there Thomas. Very good time! The second half looked very tough- we passed a few just at the top of that hill on the way back on the bus.

Brienoian Registered User
#54

Great event and very well organised. Beautiful scenery. Blessed with the weather!
That hill at mile 11 was a killer.
Happy with my time. 1:37
Poor goodie bag at the end i thought, considering the cost of entry.
Nice medal.
Like everyone else doing the half, felt so sorry for the full runners, passing them out on the bus back. Well done to everyone.

RacoonQueen Moderator
#55

glasso said:
my first ever event since taking up jogging a few months ago - enjoyed it. got a finish just outside the top 100. how does it compare with other 1/2 marathons in terms of difficulty?


Only other half I've done is the Dublin one(which I've done twice) and I had a mare in Dublin last year so I can't really compare. I wonder how it compares to Achill though?

To those that did the full. Would you do it again? Was considering the full this year but opted to just do the half. Good challenge? Not a course for a PB anyway? The only hill I found really difficult was the one at 11 miles or so, my lungs couldn't take that at all...although I wonder now whether that was physical or mental. Otherwise I didn't find the course that tough, then again, I wasn't able to run it full pelt so maybe thats why I found it that bit easier.

I did enjoy it though, thought it was a nice course and having a shotgun blasting into the air to kick it off was a nice touch.
Starting pens, were very small and weren't really observed but at least they were there. Medals look great. Goody bag was very poor but thats not what I was there for. Dingle is definitely on my list to do again be it the half or the full. I won't be going by train next time though.

TFBubendorfer Moderator
#56

RacoonQueen said:
To those that did the full. Would you do it again? Was considering the full this year but opted to just do the half. Good challenge? Not a course for a PB anyway? The only hill I found really difficult was the one at 11 miles or so, my lungs couldn't take that at all...although I wonder now whether that was physical or mental. Otherwise I didn't find the course that tough, then again, I wasn't able to run it full pelt so maybe thats why I found it that bit easier.

I did enjoy it though, thought it was a nice course and having a shotgun blasting into the air to kick it off was a nice touch.
Starting pens, were very small and weren't really observed but at least they were there. Medals look great. Goody bag was very poor but thats not what I was there for. Dingle is definitely on my list to do again be it the half or the full. I won't be going by train next time though.


I might do the full again, but will have to think about it first. Obviously it's not a course for a PB, and I'm not sure we'll ever get a better view than on Saturday, though of course a cloudier day would have been welcome while on the course. Since I ran the full my judgement of the half course might be a bit skewed, but it definitely wasn't easy.

The final hill of the full marathon was longer, steeper and higher than Connemara's Hell of the West. Suffering is mandatory on that one, be prepared.

Goody bag was crap, but I really don't care about that.

Starting pens? I was standing beside the 3 hours full/90 minutes half sign almost on my own. Everyone else seemed to gather behind the 3:30 full/1:45 half marker. Normally people cheat much more on this, it really surprised me.

buck65 Registered User
#57

Thomas,
Have been following your blog for months now, well done on the race, sub 3 was never gonna happen here. Are you running Dublin?

TFBubendorfer Moderator
#58

buck65 said:
Thomas,
Have been following your blog for months now, well done on the race, sub 3 was never gonna happen here. Are you running Dublin?


Thanks, Buck.

I'm feeling great today (well ... within reason), definitely the best I've ever felt after a marathon. Mowing the grass for a few hours yesterday was a great idea, even if it didn't entirely feel like that at the time.

Agreed, sub-3 was way out of of reach on that course. To be fair, I didn't even try. And yes, I'll be in Dublin. Quite possibly a very stupid idea, but I'll give it a go anyway.

MrCreosote Registered User
#59

TFBubendorfer said:

Starting pens? I was standing beside the 3 hours full/90 minutes half sign almost on my own. Everyone else seemed to gather behind the 3:30 full/1:45 half marker. Normally people cheat much more on this, it really surprised me.


I only saw the times marked on the starting pens as we ran out. I was about 5 rows from the front and had no problems with passing people. Then again I went into the pens from the front.
Only to be nearer the DJ/MC guy of course...

gaf1983 Registered User
#60

Really enjoyed the half-marathon, I particularly enjoyed veering off to the left to the finisher's pen in Dun Chaoin, that hill around mile 11 really took a lot out of me! Stunning views as has been said before, stunning weather too - my only pitfall was that I opted for a cotton sleeveless t-shirt, it ended up absorbing all the sweat leaving me with an unpleasant chill from about mile 6 onwards, really should have opted for a regular running top instead.

Finished in 01:54:24, exactly 2 seconds slower than I did the Dublin Half in around this time last year and roughly 5 minutes slower than I did the Wexford Half in last May. Happy enough with that as I haven't been doing much running training over the summer, was mainly concentrating on cycling and swimming, for Gael Force last month and my first triathlon next month respectively.

Am very tempted to come back next year, should probably do the early bird registration. As has been mentioned, the course had a lot of variety, some nice meanders and even a wooden footbridge at one stage!

That's a great blog Thomas, I really like how you show your times as they progress since your first marathon, it goes to show there's hope for us all!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!