Sneachta Registered User

Hi I have had a garden now for a number of years and every time I have to dig into soil for whatever reason if I come across stones I remove them.

Is it OK to remove the stones?

rocknchef Registered User

because your garden is mature, I would only remove them if somebody can trip over them or they can break you lawn mower etc

stones and rock help with drainage

2 stroke Registered User

Stones also conduct/retain warmth in the soil.

Sneachta Registered User

Oooops have removed loads of stones. Better stop. Thanks for the replies guys...

Thanos Registered User

It really depends on where they are:

In the lawn, then only remove them if they are near the top and will damage the lawnmower or if you can feel them when sitting on the lawn.

If they are in soil that you are using for a vegetable patch then remove them. To assist with drainage you can mix in a course sand or shale (which you can pick up for free from a beach).

Sneachta Registered User

Thanos said:
It really depends on where they are:

In the lawn, then only remove them if they are near the top and will damage the lawnmower or if you can feel them when sitting on the lawn.

If they are in soil that you are using for a vegetable patch then remove them. To assist with drainage you can mix in a course sand or shale (which you can pick up for free from a beach).

How about in the flower beds. Should I leave them or move them?

Thanos Registered User

Sneachta said:
How about in the flower beds. Should I leave them or move them?

Yes, remove them from flower beds also, just do the same and have a good course sand in there to stop the soil becoming clotted. It also makes it much easier to dig and turn.

JuliusCaesar Moderator

Thanos said:
you can mix in a course sand or shale (which you can pick up for free from a beach).

Thought removing stuff from beaches is illegal?

Thanos Registered User

JuliusCaesar said:
Thought removing stuff from beaches is illegal?

Really? Guess we better lock up any one who has taken a nice stone or all the kids who have taken shells from the beach then

I really dont think the beach will miss a 2 or 3 small bags of sand.

Dr Galen I'm a real doctor I swears

there is a law preventing the removal of sand from the beach actually. I'll try and find it.

I guess if everyone removed 2 or 3 small bags eventually...............or maybe not

EDIT

removal of beach materials is covered under the ForeShore Act 1933 and the amendments that have been made to that act since then from what I can see. In addition, a quick search about shows that Local Authority Beach By-Laws also prohibit the taking of materials from beaches owned by them.

and apparently, coastal and beach erosion due to taking of sand is a problem in some areas, particularly in rural farming areas

Cabaal Ultra Running Mod

Thanos said:

I really dont think the beach will miss a 2 or 3 small bags of sand.

The problem is when 100's and 1000's of idiots do this, sure the beach won't miss a few thousand bags of sand

There's a very good reason why this law exists

2 stroke Registered User

Yes removal of beach material is illegal. Also the salt content makes it unsuitable for building or garden use.

Thanos Registered User

Cabaal said:
The problem is when 100's and 1000's of idiots do this, sure the beach won't miss a few thousand bags of sand

There's a very good reason why this law exists

Well one you are assuming that 1000's of people would be doing this (which I very much doubt) and two that the sand that is there now will be the same sand that is there next year and the year after and the year after that.................
To assume that the sea and weather do not take away and deposit more sand would be misguided.

All the above was on the assumption that there was no problem with this until it was pointed out that there is a law about it.
However i am sure it depends on what and how much you are taking away.

JuliusCaesar Moderator

If it wasn't illegal, contractors would be going out there filling sacks and selling it on.

It takes the sea a long time to grind stones to sand - it's a non-renewable resource.

Thanos Registered User

JuliusCaesar said:
If it wasn't illegal, contractors would be going out there filling sacks and selling it on.

It takes the sea a long time to grind stones to sand - it's a non-renewable resource.

True, but there is a big difference between some one getting a shopping bag or two and a firm getting a truck full.........................

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!