chris85 Registered User

hey anybody know any place i can rent a small van or big car off in Dublin to drive to London and drop it off in London as wont be returning to Dublin.

Basically I am moving to London in October and need to bring bit of stuff over with me.

Any ideas? Cant find anyplace to do this online.

Kartale Registered User

i would imagine the cheapest option is rent in Hollyhead, ferry back collect stuff and head back.
unlikely an irish rental co. has such a service, cant pay

ardmacha Registered User

This is not likely to be easy to do as someone would then have to drive the van back from London to Dublin and the rental companies wouldn't be keen to organise this, to say nothing of the cost. You could perhaps go to Holyhead and get one and bring it back, load it up and then leave it off in London.

R.O.R Registered User

There would be a substantial one way drop charge to do something like this. The rental company from Ireland would need to fly someone over to London (first class) and pay them (overtime rates) & fuel costs & ferry costs to bring the vehicle back.

Cheaper way to do it would be fly to London to collect, drive to Dublin and drop back in London.

Or just transport your stuff and fly. Have a look at www.vantasks.ie - Cormie might do a special rate for a bordsie.

biko Arbiter

Yeah, rent it over there and come back once for the stuff.

Mick K Registered User

GF works in this area.
She tells me you wont be able to rent a car here and leave it there.

Your only option would be to rent from Enterprise Belfast and they will charge you 100euro or sterling equiv to leave the car there.

chris85 Registered User

Magnus said:
Yeah, rent it over there and come back once for the stuff.

but cant drive a uk reg car over here as still irish resident at that stage.

May be better to rent one here and drive to London and back and then cheap flight back from here to London.

Mountjoy Mugger Registered User

Try www.opodo.co.uk They give the Dublin pickup/London drop off option.

chris85 Registered User

Mountjoy Mugger said:
Try www.opodo.co.uk They give the Dublin pickup/London drop off option.

Maybe I'll get a place that needs a van to be driven back to London from Dublin, if only

biko Arbiter

chris85 said:
but cant drive a uk reg car over here as still irish resident at that stage.

That shouldn't matter - if you have a full licence you can rent it in UK an drive it back here no problem. Just tell the company so you're insured here too.
Irish people can drive Brit rentals in Ireland afaik (never done this though).

I hired a car in uk earlier this year, picked it up from one airport and left it at another. I booked it via hertz on the ryanair site. The one way charge wasn't too much. Not sure if it is possible between 2 countries though. Try the hertz link on ryanair, it may be possible.

R.O.R Registered User

mcwhirter said:
I hired a car in uk earlier this year, picked it up from one airport and left it at another. I booked it via hertz on the ryanair site. The one way charge wasn't too much. Not sure if it is possible between 2 countries though. Try the hertz link on ryanair, it may be possible.

Shouldn't have been a 1 way charge between 2 mainland UK locations. It's not possible between countries as they can't re-rent the vehicle from where it was left.

ardmacha Registered User

That shouldn't matter - if you have a full licence you can rent it in UK an drive it back here no problem. Just tell the company so you're insured here too.
Irish people can drive Brit rentals in Ireland afaik (never done this though).

I see the point here, if I were a rental company I wouldn't let someone do this as the Customs might seize the car, although if you are actually moving it should be OK. Get a removal company or get an Irish van and bring it back.

chris85 Registered User

looking around at car rental websites and looks like could bne hard to rent a van here as I am only 24. Very annoying.

kluivert Registered User

1. Fly to London.
2. Hire a Van.
3. Take Hollyhead Ferry back to Dublin.
4. load Van Up
5. Take ferry back to Holyhead.
6. Drive back down to London.

Enjoy the roadtrip.

good luck on the move.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!