B0rG Registered User
#1

Guys,

is there bus service between Dublin and Tralee for the weekdays? I've heard that there is some private bus service running but I can't seem to find it. Could someone point me the right way?

I know that there is plane which is good, but at 7am there is a taxi price on top of it, and the train ticket is too long and dear.

KC61 Registered User
#2

B0rG said:
Guys,

is there bus service between Dublin and Tralee for the weekdays? I've heard that there is some private bus service running but I can't seem to find it. Could someone point me the right way?

I know that there is plane which is good, but at 7am there is a taxi price on top of it, and the train ticket is too long and dear.


The train is only EUR 20 each way if you travel on any of the following trains:

Dublin to Tralee 09.00/ 13.00(Not Fridays)/ 20.00

Tralee to Dublin 09.15/ 11.15/ 13.15/ 17.15/ 19.15

The only bus service is Bus Eireann, which is EUR 32 return for a midweek return and EUR 38 otherwise.

Given that the train takes appx 4 hours and the bus over 6 (with a change in Limerick) surely the train makes more sense?

Riskymove Registered User
#3

B0rG said:
the train ticket is too long and dear.


can a bus journey be that much quicker than train?

Train wins every time for me over a bus

B0rG Registered User
#4

KC61 said:
The train is only EUR 20 each way if you travel on any of the following trains:

Dublin to Tralee 09.00/ 13.00(Not Fridays)/ 20.00

Tralee to Dublin 09.15/ 11.15/ 13.15/ 17.15/ 19.15

The only bus service is Bus Eireann, which is EUR 32 return for a midweek return and EUR 38 otherwise.

Given that the train takes appx 4 hours and the bus over 6 (with a change in Limerick) surely the train makes more sense?


Thanks for the reply

this sounds good but I'm on contract there, and I was thinking of travelling monday early morning - coming back to dublin friday eve. so 9am train is out - can't really get there monday lunch time, -1 day of the week.

Someone told me that there is some direct private bus to tralee which goes faster as it doesn't stop anywhere and takes a direct route, but they didn't tell me any details. I was hoping somebody here will know.

KC61 Registered User
#5

B0rG said:
Thanks for the reply

this sounds good but I'm on contract there, and I was thinking of travelling monday early morning - coming back to dublin friday eve. so 9am train is out - can't really get there monday lunch time, -1 day of the week.

Someone told me that there is some direct private bus to tralee which goes faster as it doesn't stop anywhere and takes a direct route, but they didn't tell me any details. I was hoping somebody here will know.


If there is I am not aware of it I'm afraid.

Your only other option is the 0700 train which is EUR 36 one-way booked online, or the Sunday evening train at the same price.

zagmund Registered User
#6

There can't be too much of a demand for an express bus between Dublin & Tralee with timings suited to get to Tralee for the start of work on Monday morning. Getting to Dublin, maybe. Getting to Tralee, unlikely.

I'm not saying people don't want to get to Tralee from Dublin, but just that the chances of there being sufficient demand for this bus route in this direction at this time are pretty low.

Time to look at the constraints you face and then work back to see what is available . . . if you must be in Tralee for ~0900 on Monday then what modes have a match ?

z

MementoMori Registered User
#7

Don't give up on the plane completely, it could work out well if you get a cheap flight and get the bus from Farranfore to Tralee.There are buses between Killarney and Traleen pretty much on an hourly basis, all of which pass through Farranfore village.Might have to walk from Farranfore airport to the village - about 400m max I'd say, but there is a good footpath the entire way.

I really doubt there is a Dublin to Tralee direct bus especially matching your needs. Even if there is a direct Dublin Tralee bus I would be very surprised if it was quicker than the train, and especially not by much.

There is a Tralee thread in the Kerry forum - might be worth you're while asking in there.

#8

Farranfore might well prove your best option. Walk is a bit longet than 400m id say but quite do=able and there might even be taxis..Tralee is only a few km away. (10 or 15 maybe?)

Possibly your employer or a colleague would collect you?

technocrat Registered User
#9

Having used the Ryanair route several times I would recommend this as your best option.
The early flight gets you down for 08.30 on Monday morning.

I am 99% sure the Tralee -> Killarney -> Tralee bus already serves the airport meaning your max 20mins from either town once the bus arrives

caesura Registered User
#10

KC61 said:
The train is only EUR 20 each way if you travel on any of the following trains:

Dublin to Tralee 09.00/ 13.00(Not Fridays)/ 20.00

Tralee to Dublin 09.15/ 11.15/ 13.15/ 17.15/ 19.15

The only bus service is Bus Eireann, which is EUR 32 return for a midweek return and EUR 38 otherwise.

Given that the train takes appx 4 hours and the bus over 6 (with a change in Limerick) surely the train makes more sense?



Hi KC61,

Where did you see that €20 each way offer?

I couldn't find it anywhere and it'd be great for me come Sept when i'll be up and down from Kerry a fair bit.

Cheers
C.

Victor Registered User
#11

Get your own thread.

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=402

KC61 Registered User
#12

caesura said:
Hi KC61,

Where did you see that €20 each way offer?

I couldn't find it anywhere and it'd be great for me come Sept when i'll be up and down from Kerry a fair bit.

Cheers
C.


It's on the front page of the Irish Rail site bang in the middle of the screen highlighted in green.

As Victor says - just click on that and it brings you to the list of trains.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!