taung Registered User
#1

'3' UK have a new pre-pay proposition around making Skype calls from your mobile phone. They will allow you to make as many Skype calls as you want without any '3' charges and without requiring minimum monthly refills. You are, of course, charged (by Skype) for Skype 'dial-out' calls.

'3' Ireland also offer a pre-pay Skype call service but they force you to refill by €10 per month for this privelige.

Anyhow, the bargain alert revolves around the 3 'UK' Skype service since, if you can get your hands on a '3' UK SIM card (available on ebay), you will be able to use their Skype service in Ireland without any roaming charges thanks to the '3' UK 3 Like Home service.

The only catches are;

1. To avail of the free 3 UK roaming service you must roam on the 3 Ireland network.

2. The 3 UK '3 Like Home' service ends on 30th June 2009.

sligo_tech Registered User
#2

Good post. A pity the 3 Like Home finished on 30 june.
THanks for the info

Dilbert75 Registered User
#3

And, to be fair, you only need to top up by €10 a month to get Skype on 3pay.

Kenny Powers Registered User
#4

This would also mean you could use skype out to call irish numbers. Its a pity the quilty of skype calls with 3 is crap. Getting rid of the 3 like home will be a major loss for the network.

taung Registered User
#5

Dilbert75 said:
And, to be fair, you only need to top up by €10 a month to get Skype on 3pay.


Thanks for the correction, I've updated my original post now to reflect this.

Walkman Registered User
#6

taung said:
Thanks for the correction, I've updated my original post now to reflect this.


3 Ireland introduced Skype out calls last November (although you cant call Irish mobiles or landlines as this would defeat the purpose of them being a mobile network), you may want to amend your original post. If you have a phone that supports skype but was bought before this date you need to redownload the application via planet 3 (skype out will not work on the original skype phone as the application is an integral part of the phone and connot be replaced with the newer version). Also an unlocked 3g handset does not mean skype will work as the phone will not have the 3 firmware which has the certificates to allow the application to run on the phone.

Walkman Registered User
#7

Kenny Powers said:
This would also mean you could use skype out to call irish numbers. Its a pity the quilty of skype calls with 3 is crap. Getting rid of the 3 like home will be a major loss for the network.


I have to disagree. The call quality of skype on 3 is the same as a normal call IMO making it better than normal skype calling (probably something to do with the way 3 route the call over their network rather than via the internet).

Kenny Powers Registered User
#8

Well i found using 3 Skype to call someone else using 3 Skype the call quality was rubbish sometimes there would be as much as a 5 second delay on the call. When i first started using it when it was first launched and for a few months after yeah it was grand but now its just crap i can't even use it anymore.

taung Registered User
#9

Walkman said:
3 Ireland introduced Skype out calls last November (although you cant call Irish mobiles or landlines as this would defeat the purpose of them being a mobile network), you may want to amend your original post. If you have a phone that supports skype but was bought before this date you need to redownload the application via planet 3 (skype out will not work on the original skype phone as the application is an integral part of the phone and connot be replaced with the newer version). Also an unlocked 3g handset does not mean skype will work as the phone will not have the 3 firmware which has the certificates to allow the application to run on the phone.


I've updated the orginal post, thanks.

Going a wee bit off-topic now, but, while I have access to a 3 Skype expert......can the following scenario work with the 3 Ireland network?

1. Buy 3-Ireland pre-pay mobile phone with Skype.
2. Buy 3-UK pre-pay SIM card.
3. Insert 3 UK SIM card in 3-Ireland mobile phone with Skype.
4. Use 3-Ireland mobile phone to access 3-UK Skype service?

Or is the Skype software in the 3 Ireland mobile phone specific to the 3 Ireland service?

Davy Category Moderator
#10

taung said:
1. Buy 3-Ireland pre-pay mobile phone with Skype.
2. Buy 3-UK pre-pay SIM card.
3. Insert 3 UK SIM card in 3-Ireland mobile phone with Skype.
4. Use 3-Ireland mobile phone to access 3-UK Skype service?

Or is the Skype software in the 3 Ireland mobile phone specific to the 3 Ireland service?


That should ok yes. With the three Uk sim in the phone, and you can download the three uk skype from this link using your phone: http://mobile.three.co.uk/sdf/skypeupdate

Walkman Registered User
#11

taung said:
I've updated the orginal post, thanks.

Going a wee bit off-topic now, but, while I have access to a 3 Skype expert......can the following scenario work with the 3 Ireland network?

1. Buy 3-Ireland pre-pay mobile phone with Skype.
2. Buy 3-UK pre-pay SIM card.
3. Insert 3 UK SIM card in 3-Ireland mobile phone with Skype.
4. Use 3-Ireland mobile phone to access 3-UK Skype service?

Or is the Skype software in the 3 Ireland mobile phone specific to the 3 Ireland service?


Sorry Davy but the other side is the firmware on the phone will be for 3Ireland so if you launch planet 3 you will probably connect to the 3Ireland planet 3 portal and the above link does not work on my phone (get an error message saying file is not supported). Also if 3UK are getting rid of 3Like Home there is nothing to say it will work.

Moonbeam Moderator
#12

fring is handy too esp if you have wireless.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!