Cabaal Ultra Running Mod

Its been in Beta for some time now but RTE have finally launched RTE player http://www.rte.ie/player/

The content is "ok", contains home made shows by RTE and some BBC content such as nature shows and Eastenders, its not great but its a start and a sigh better then what they had.

Quality of the site is reasonable also, not yet as good as BBC iPlayer and it doesn't does not have the same content choice....for example BBC iPlayer has Heroes on offer. [EDIT] I stand corrected I just saw they have Grey's Anatomy on the player

Though in saying all this the service/site is still in beta so I'm pretty hopefully and hope RTE take this change to make some very positive moves regarding on-line content

The site is Geo IP locked so if your not accessing the site via an Irish IP Address then forget about it, (much the same as UK IP with BBC iPlayer site)

[EDIT]
For those of you on an ISP with a small cap, its worth remembering that 50min viewing on RTE Player is equal to approx 200MB

9 people have thanked this post
crawler Registered User

I suggest that people keep an eye on download allowances before overdosing on Glenroe

She's a bit of a bandwidth animal.

Well Done RTE though...good to see. Glad I peer at INEX!!

Blank page when I tried there.

Spear Moderator

paulm17781 said:
Blank page when I tried there.

It's Flash based, so check your Flash install is working okay.

Spear said:
It's Flash based, so check your Flash install is working okay.

I got it working just before I came back here. Looks nice.

PFL Registered User

WOW - actually impressed well done RTE - considering the state of the 2FM new website - this is a good job.......

smellslikeshoes Registered User

It's about time RTE jumped on the bandwagon. Thumbs up to them on the layout, nice and easy to maneuver.

Spear Moderator

As long as it doesn't use RealMedia is all that matters.

watty Registered User

RealAlternative/Mediaplayer Classic does realmedia.

ISPs and users will be better off now if they subsidize PVRS. As long as we have caps and contention, these fake TV systems just wreck Internet usage.

1 person has thanked this post
smellslikeshoes Registered User

watty said:

ISPs and users will be better off now if they subsidize PVRS. As long as we have caps and contention, these fake TV systems just wreck Internet usage.

I think that just means ISP's need to adapt faster to changing internet usage, newer technologies, price plans etc.

Linku Registered User

You can watch RTÉ News Now through it too, no more RealPlayer for me!

Spear Moderator

watty said:

I'm not concerned with the end-user client, it's more the backend of it.

Cabaal Ultra Running Mod

The videos are flash, although I;'ve not seen it I've seen comments on twitter that RTE cut out the adbreaks and simply replace them with 3-5min of a dark screen....very foolish!

They would be better of just having the episode as a whole without any caps...ala BBC

The very fact RTE have now launched this may be very beneficial to Irish ISP's as the average home user will now use more bandwidth which hopefully will get ISP's to increase caps as they otherwise risk loosing customers to other ISP's that have higher caps OR they';ll start receiving complaints which no ISP wants.,

Podge2k7 Registered User

Thanks for the info OP.

rav1410 Registered User

Nice one, Got a quick perv of the Seoige girls in there

Although, Grainne FTW!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!