#1

I believe there no direct train

What's the bus service to Donegal like ? Cost, length of journey, frequency etc.
Does anyone fly (with AerArran) ?


I'm thinking of maybe making a trip up there in April - could I get a same day bus ? Or a bus/train combo ?

Permabear Registered User
#2

Alan Rouge said:
What's the bus service to Donegal like ? Cost, length of journey, frequency etc.


The easiest way is probably to get Bus Éireann from Dublin to Letterkenny, which costs about €27 return. Here's the timetable—you'll see that there are buses every 2-3 hours during the day. The journey time is around 4 hours.

1 person has thanked this post
View Profile Registered User
#3

Aer Arann Dublin to Donegal, April 8th, depart 8am arrive 50 mins later for about €25!

1 person has thanked this post
Wishbone Ash Registered User
#4

Alan Rouge said:
length of journey
It would very much depend on where in Donegal you are going. For example, most bus services will get you to Lifford in approx. 3.5 hours but you could easily travel for another hour or more if you are going to Gweedore/Innishowen etc.


RE: bus/train combo - not at all practical unless you are a glutton for punishment and get a train to Sligo or Derry and then bus it.

There are (used to be?) several private bus operators on the Donegal route - McGinley's, Boyce, O'Donnell's etc.

1 person has thanked this post
Wishbone Ash Registered User
#5

View Profile said:
Aer Arann Donegal to Dublin, April 8th, depart 8am arrive 50 mins later for about €25!
But not very practical if intending to be in east/north east Donegal!

danniemcq Registered User
#6

I have found John Mcginley to be both quickest and cheapest in the past, plus if you are lucky you'll get the bus with the wee tv's and games on every seat. Think it runs twice a day most days and leaves up near the garden of rememberance

http://www.johnmcginley.com/

huh just copped on thats the same name as dr cox on scrubs

edit

oh yeah and no luck tryin to get a train i don't think there is even one train track still in operation in donegal! If you really wanna try and get a train nearby think you have to go through belfast and then get one to Derry and you'll still need a bus to Donegal from there.

And there is not much point in coming up for a day, it's to vast a county. take a tent and see it all!

#7

View Profile said:
Aer Arann Dublin to Donegal, April 8th, depart 8am arrive 50 mins later for about €25!


Em, that's Donegal - Dublin departing at 8Am but thanks though. I was looking at their site yesterday and all I could find was 60euro flights. Looks like their timetable is so that you can fly Donegal-Dublin in the one day, ie. depart Donegal at 8 and fly back from Dublin at half 7 that evening.




Wishbone Ash said:
It would very much depend on where in Donegal you are going. For example, most bus services will get you to Lifford in approx. 3.5 hours but you could easily travel for another hour or more if you are going to Gweedore/Innishowen etc.


RE: bus/train combo - not at all practical unless you are a glutton for punishment and get a train to Sligo or Derry and then bus it.

There are (used to be?) several private bus operators on the Donegal route - McGinley's, Boyce, O'Donnell's etc.


I suppose wherever the city centre is would do me

I might look into a airplane/bus combo
thanks guys/girls

#8

Wishbone Ash said:
But not very practical if intending to be in east/north east Donegal!


Whereabouts is the airport ? Is there much (any?) public transport between the airport and the city centre ?

Permabear Registered User
#9

Wishbone Ash said:
There are (used to be?) several private bus operators on the Donegal route - McGinley's, Boyce, O'Donnell's etc.


There still are. Boyce's no longer do the Dublin route, though. Of the private companies, I'd personally recommend McGinley's (www.johnmcginley.com) as being one of the better ones—but then again, it depends on your destination within Donegal. (McGinley's run to Annagry and Inishowen as well as the standard Lifford/Letterkenny.) Once you get here, the Lough Swilly Bus Company runs services locally, although most of their buses are fairly old (as in 1970s-era) and ramshackle, and the schedules tend to be infrequent. Bus Éireann also runs some local services, though, and you'll get private tour companies running buses in the summertime.

Local-womanizer Registered User
#10

As stated McGinleys is probaly the best bus to get,for me anyway.Costs a wee bit more but worth it imo.

Permabear Registered User
#11

Alan Rouge said:
Whereabouts is the airport ? Is there much (any?) public transport between the airport and the city centre ?


The Donegal Airport is in the back of beyond, in Carrickfinn, Kincasslagh. There are no bus or rail services to or from it, so your only option is to get a taxi. If your destination is Lifford or Letterkenny, you'll get there much quicker from Dublin by bus.

There's no "city centre" to speak of. There are several larger towns, of which Letterkenny is the biggest, but Donegal is basically a rural county with lots of spread-out towns and villages. You might want to look at a map or browse around on the Internet to get an idea of where exactly you want to go.

1 person has thanked this post
#12

I'm a bit crap , well I'm a whole lot crap , at reading timetables but my spidey sense is kinda telling me that.... there's a 7.30PM bus from Letterkenny to Dublin and then the next one is 1.45AM .

I suppose a day trip leaving Dublin at 8:45Am and then getting that after midnight bus back later that day/night would be an option...

Only thing I've not really thought about is - am I mad to do this ? I'm just bored and fancy going to Donegal for the day cause I've never been.

#13

Thanks again there,
Erm, Donegalfella, have you got the bus to/from Dublin ? What's the deal with needing photo ID

Permabear Registered User
#14

Alan Rouge said:
Erm, Donegalfella, have you got the bus to/from Dublin ? What's the deal with needing photo ID


I haven't heard anything about needing photo ID to take the bus. I've certainly never been asked for it!

muffler Moderator
#15

Alan Rouge said:
Only thing I've not really thought about is - am I mad to do this ?
Its a big county and for example it can take between 1.5 - 2.0 hours to get from the south west of the county to the north east. You should really consider a B&B or hostel and stay for a couple of nights.


Alan Rouge said:
I'm just bored and fancy going to Donegal for the day cause I've never been.
Ah tell the truth. You just wanna meet me

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!