Micamaca Registered User

Múinteoir;59341832
You actually got it perfectly, ethernet. The standard genitive of 'cathair' is 'cathrach', but the example above is different; in the context of two nouns coming together, with the second being in the genitive, but which is followed by the definite article (i.e. 'an'), a 'séimhiú' is inserted, and not the full genitive transformation.

So it looks like I'm in with a chance so... The prize is a subscription to online courses. I could do with a refresher course alright! Not sure how I could split the prize though but have a feeling Ethernet does not need refresher course in Irish anyway...so I may be off the hook

theboat Registered User

And there was me thinking my Irish grammar was fairly solid...

Múinteoir Registered User

theboat said:
And there was me thinking my Irish grammar was fairly solid...

Well, you did know the genitive of 'cathair' alright; most people don't.

Lughaidh_Sheáin Registered User

It is "ar imeall chathair na Gaillimhe".

It would be wrong to write "cathair" or "chathrach" or "cathrach" here.

When you have 3 words in the same group like here, you don't always need to put 2 of the in the genitive case.

imeall + cathair na Gaillimhe > in this case you can't put cathair in the genitive so you lenite it instead.

If you say "ar imeall cathrach na Gaillimhe", it means "on the town-edge of Galway", so you link "imeall cathrach" + "Gaillimh". (a town-edge & Galway).

By the way, "tuiseal ginideach" would be pronounced more like "tishle guin-yidd-yah".
Remember that ch is NEVER pronounced as k in Irish (I mean, when you pronounce it properly! Most Irish people don't pronounce Irish properly because it isn't well taught).

Tchífidh mé sibh

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!