Karsini Registered User

Sam Vimes said:
Well a lot of people think that not being able to use it at all in large parts of the country sucks and would rather have edge but whatever makes you happy

Exactly. I'm thinking of signing up for Meteor's service so I can get internet access when I'm away from home. I wouldn't be using it for anything heavy, I have my 10Mb UPC connection for that. I'd just want to be able to go online wherever I might be.

As I'd be using it as a secondary connection I'd only want to do it as prepaid, leaving me with either 3 or Meteor. Putting aside any prejudices I have of 3, I'd choose Meteor because they have EDGE rather than relying on dial-up speed GPRS outside of 3G coverage.

watty Registered User

Meteor, while making use of O2 masts, does have worse coverage/capacity. My phone call reliability increase immediatly after switching from Meteor to O2 was amazing.

Meteor only pay for roaming to O2 masts were there is NO Meteor coverage at all.

1 person has thanked this post
Karsini Registered User

watty said:
Meteor, while making use of O2 masts, does have worse coverage/capacity. My phone call reliability increase immediatly after switching from Meteor to O2 was amazing.

Meteor only pay for roaming to O2 masts were there is NO Meteor coverage at all.

Meteor switched to using Vodafone for their roaming didn't they?

Sam Vimes Registered User

Karsini said:

As I'd be using it as a secondary connection I'd only want to do it as prepaid, leaving me with either 3 or Meteor. Putting aside any prejudices I have of 3, I'd choose Meteor because they have EDGE rather than relying on dial-up speed GPRS outside of 3G coverage.

There is no relying on GPRS outside of 3G coverage with 3, it just won't connect at all. 3 only has 3G masts and their roaming deal with vodafone only works for calls and texts

@watty, didn't meteor switch their roaming deal to vodafone a few years ago?

Karsini said:
Meteor switched to using Vodafone for their roaming didn't they?

It seems they did:
http://kenmc.com/2006/11/14/meteor-roaming-with-vodafone/

watty Registered User

same principle applies. I guess they switched as Vodafone has most masts. They took over Eircell, the original eircom Mobile.

Tesco are still using O2?

Karsini Registered User

Sam Vimes said:
There is no relying on GPRS outside of 3G coverage with 3, it just won't connect at all. 3 only has 3G masts and their roaming deal with vodafone only works for calls and texts

Ooh, another reason not to go with them! I never knew data wasn't working with 3's Vodafone roaming.
watty said:

Yes as far as I'm aware.

watty said:

Yes they are. They don't have any of their own masts. They're an MVNO

Walkman Registered User

watty said:

I suggest that 3's maps may be "optimistic" as they have about 440 masts now and will have 600 after the current roll-out. They originally talked about having 770 masts. They had to meet various coverage targets by 2007. They claim to meet them.

3 currently have 787 live masts nationwide.

watty Registered User

Walkman said:

Any authoritative reference?

If true, it's still less than 1/2 what they need. Or does the 787 include Vodafone masts they have agreed roaming on?

bealtine Registered User

Walkman said:

I think 3 have 400+ masts live nationwide, please prove me wrong.

Walkman Registered User

bealtine said:
I think 3 have 400+ masts live nationwide, please prove me wrong.

Like I have sorted before a mate of mine works for them. No this figure is 3's own masts not any vodafone. Can I ask why you think they have 400.

bealtine Registered User

Walkman said:
Like I have sorted before a mate of mine works for them. No this figure is 3's own masts not any vodafone. Can I ask why you think they have 400.

A mate of mine works for them and says different.

watty Registered User

Unless anyone's mates are senior and in the right department they won't know.

Curiously some people senior enough to know about these things in some companies make a point of NOT knowing so they can't inadvertently let cats out of bags.

We know that Vodafone has the most sites and there are definately 5643 "sites". Though GSM and 3G at same place and same operator might count as two sites. I'm fairly sure that a mast shared between 2 operators (with their own spectrum each) counts as two sites.

buckfastmonkey Registered User

hello all, does anybody know if these mobile broadband services are suitable for gaming over xbox live??? i use digiweb 8 meg but lately the service has turned to poop on a stick. i would say the connection is dropped in at least half of all sessions, SO ANNOYING.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!