Pete Doherty was just on the late late show. Although I'm not a Libertines or Babyshambles fan.
I was embarrassed at the poor questions that were asked by Pat.
There was one about Kate Moss and then about nine about drugs .. How can you be a role model? Why are you doing this? Your poor family etc
Short from pulling pete into the conversation, he leaned back in his chair at one point looking bored and pulled his hat down. At the end of the interview Pete said something along the lines of "where do I go to collect my money" and then said he was joking, no he bloody wasn't it was pathetic.

The researchers should be shot, I could have done a better job, really could they not sit down with a biography for four hours in a coffee shop rather than four minutes with the daily star? How much are these researchers being paid?

At one point Pete said to Pat I bet you can't name one of my songs to which Pat blurbled "probably not" Jonathan Ross whenever he has a musician on always mentions a song he's heard or that he's listened to their recent album and talks about a song he liked briefly. Not Pat, no he's too good for that. A researcher could have told Pat the name of the most recent album or something surely...

People are gonna say 'He's all about drugs and thats what he is famous for' but I'm not buying that. First off, I don't like Pete Doherty's music so I'm not the 'I'm a massive fan and don't say anything about Pete' type. The fact is, stories of musicians and their drug habits ARE boring. I mean, tons of musicians have ruined their lives with drugs.....but its old news. Kenny just turned it into a wasted opportunity for an interesting interview. Plank.

lordgoat Moderator

I only saw a few mins of this but will be watching the repeat. I'm a big Pete fan and from what i've heard so far this is just another reason to despise Pat Kenny and RTE. Remember we the tax payer pay for his 600k a year salary and he could not tell you one thing about one of his guests bar he uses drugs and went out with Kate Moss. And of course the obligatory - how can we nationalise the person being interviewed. From the little i saw of this i'm embarassed by it. I dread to watch the full thing.

Samurai Registered User

yeah its crazy what pat earns considering the average joe could do a far better job

1 person has thanked this post

I liked the song Pete sang "The last of the English roses".

lordgoat Moderator

Bugger, i didn't see him singing.

Didn't see it, but I can imagine it being car crash TV. Might watch the repeat if I catch it.
I've no particular like or dislike for Pete Doherty and I only know a few Libertines/Babyshambles song but he is a very interesting character. I would have tuned in if I thought he'd get a half decent interview.

lordgoat said:
I'm a big Pete fan and from what i've heard so far this is just another reason to despise Pat Kenny and RTE. Remember we the tax payer pay for his 600k a year salary and he could not tell you one thing about one of his guests bar he uses drugs and went out with Kate Moss.

His salary, depressingly, is even higher than that.
He gets €849139 a year (according to the Independent) and even with a proposed 10% paycut he'll still be getting over 750k!
I mean he seems like a nice enough guy (unless you squabble with him over land) but he has no charisma and is hopeless at interviews.

Qprmeath Registered User

I thought Pat asked the hard questions. On a show like The Late Late with a mixed audience there was no point in getting in to a discussion of Petes music. Jonathan Ross just maks jokes with his guests on a show which is never live. Doherty is a complex character, one I doubt will ever be called normal. I dont think his demons are ever far away. He summed up his own problems at the end by asking Pat did he know any of his songs? We should all know his music but because of all the other stuff it never gets a mention. At least Pete has the good sense to be a Qpr fan thugh!

lordgoat Moderator

Qprmeath said:
I thought Pat asked the hard questions. On a show like The Late Late with a mixed audience there was no point in getting in to a discussion of Petes music. Jonathan Ross just maks jokes with his guests on a show which is never live. Doherty is a complex character, one I doubt will ever be called normal. I dont think his demons are ever far away. He summed up his own problems at the end by asking Pat did he know any of his songs? We should all know his music but because of all the other stuff it never gets a mention. At least Pete has the good sense to be a Qpr fan thugh!

Hard questions? Drugs and Kate Moss? Boring mundane and at least 2 years old. From what i've watched and i haven't seen it all there was not one question about anything recent or new. And the way he asked Kenny about if he knew any of his songs was not summing up his problems it was - you know nothing about me, are a complete tool and i don't want to talk to you anymore. Anyone could see that. The interview Doherty did with Ross a while back was much more revealing and the questions were well thought out and hard hitting.

Oh and the fact Kenny earns even more money than i previously thought has ruined my saturday morning.

Mr.S Moderator

twas a painfull interview that, at one point i thought Pete was going to up and go, with the shit questions Pat was asking about his mother, dad and drugs...

The song was good though

graveshiftd Registered User

I watched the interview last night and well thats what it was, an interview. I mean you have to put it into context, Pat Kenny doesn't do funny, jovial interviews like Jonathan Ross and he did ask some hard and uncomfortable questions, but what other way was he ever going to do it? Would you prefer had he acted like he knew his music and and serenaded him with questions like "do you see yourself as the 21 century Dylan?". That would have been far more cringe inducing stuff, we have all seen it before, Pat trying to be jokey, its like seeing your mother having 3 sherries and getting up dancing at a wedding, hard to watch, oh the mental scars!
So, in summary, I don't think we should chastise Pat for doing what he is able to do because the alternative would be much worse.

lordgoat Moderator

graveshiftd said:

So, in summary, I don't think we should chastise Pat for doing what he is able to do because the alternative would be much worse.

What exactly are you claiming he is able to do? Interview people really badly? Yes he can do that. To me, having no knowledge of a guest on your tv show shows nothing but contempt and arrogance. The idea of an interview is to gain an insight into the person being interviewed no? I have never seen him achieve this with any of his guests, and this was particularly obvious last night.

While he night not be everyone cup of tea either Ryan Tubridy actually asks decent questions and trys to engage his guests. The exact opposite is true of G Ryan. THe man is a one man side show where all he cares about is his own image.

The best person on irish tv is John Kelly, the view is always well researched and presented and should get alot more credit than it currently does.

lordgoat Moderator

And the hard questions he asked? What about his drug addiction and family, please he's answered these countless times in the past, i don't think there was anything hardhitting about them. Water off a duck.

FionnBaguh Registered User

Seriously, that interview was the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen on tv. Pat Kenny really embraced the, Pete is a heroin addict and has ruined his life and I'm gonna make him realize it role. WTF is that guys problem? All the drug and Kate Moss questions are completely 2-3years ago. Get over it.

It was suggested that the late late is inappropriate to hae a guest like Pete Doherty. I disagree. If the late late is to have any future, it will get guests like Pete on, and get the younger generations tuning in, not just the aul ones who watch merely by habit and have nothing better to do.

Pat Kenny should really get the sack. He's desperate. I've seen too many interviews he's done that were poorly researched, boring and plain embarrassing. In comparisonI watched the interview Gay Byrne did with Noel Gallagher in 1994. That was a great interview, at a time when Oasis were really using drugs and telling everyone, there was maybe one drug question, Gay really got into and so did Noel, it was like a watching a real heart to heart conversation. The interview Pat did with Liam Gallagher in 2003, was pretty awful aswell, Pat didnt even realize when he was joking or being sarcastic.

Pat is a joke.

5 people have thanked this post
orangewolf Registered User

I too was embarrased by Pat Kenny's lack of preperation for the Pete Doherty interview. The Late Late Show's producers show the same contempt for the Irish population by giving Eoghan Harris a soap box. "Sure we've never had it so good" what nonsense.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!