lostexpectation Registered User

dublin river past present and culverted. its strange how google still hasn't done rivers layers properly(they have updated the ocean depth)

more certain about the north side then the south side, its not accurate, need help getting all the names and making corrections, you suggest them here or add them yourselves

i've done a little bit of colour coding on which rivers are old and which are culverted or gone.

for google earth
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1198535

for google maps publically editable on line, zoom in to see everything
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&start=208&num=200&msa=0&msid=108692096314893578946.000461f3b5a571b6493e3&ll=53.409123,-6.293449&spn=0.151648,0.44632&t=h&z=12
need to click next at bottom of sidebar to flick through the rivers

pink and blue mostly culverted rivers
orange small tributaries
white main rivers/streams

4 people have thanked this post

not done as well as the north, south dublin rivers present, old, culverted

needs correction names etc

ge prog
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1198821&#Post1198821

gm browser publically editable online
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&start=208&num=200&t=h&msa=0&ll=53.270962,-6.314392&spn=0.292373,0.892639&z=11&msid=108692096314893578946.000461fc7d09ca8086575

green and red are old connections or mill races

Victor Registered User

There are some databases of these already. Look up Greater Dublin Strategic Drainage Study.

Also http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx?id=&utype=&ecom=S1&user=

-----------------------------------------------

Directly west of Swords is the Broad Meadow (also Broadmeadow).

South and then west of Swords is the Ward.

Mill Stream, Malahide

Sluice River

Mayne & Turnapin.

Howth - Bloody Stream

Santry River.

Tolka & Pinkeen.

Liffey

South from Lucan is the Griffeen River.

Saggart-Clondalkin-Kilmainham is the Camac / Cammock, with the Walkinstown Stream as a tributary.

Tallaght-Kimmage-Liberties is the Poddle - you have the source wrong - its from Belgard Hill.

North from St Stephen's Green is the Styne

Terenure-Rathmines-Ballsbridge is the Swan.

Dodder

At Balllinteer you have the Little Dargle

Carrickmines - Shankill is the Loughlinstown River.

At Bray you have the Dargle.

There are lots more streams, ditches and glens.

thanks for the help,victor i have looked at many resources like those, the historic osi maps is also very useful, most of those names are on the side, look at it in ge, google isn't very good at displaying names. you probably know how to edit the maps so have a look and if you any names or wrong paths go ahead change it, its a bit fiddle i probably need to present it better.

the ultimate sources of many of the rivers is probably what i missing

of the ones you mention this is what i need a reference for

Tallaght-Kimmage-Liberties is the Poddle - you have the source wrong - its from Belgard Hill. do you mean belgard heights? i think i lost it around the tallaght IT. the poddle was the hardest river to find info on, concentrated on the end, city part. if you can find a map showing the source, its not on the os map afaik

here it is what i have for the poddle on its own publically editable

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&ll=53.308981,-6.339686&spn=0.146056,0.44632&z=12&msid=108692096314893578946.0004620b63c2c5894be3e

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=800219&Number=1199345 kml

green and red are old connections or mill races

have the connection to dodder indicated on the full top map

working back up river its hard to know which is the main river, or are two sources feeding into one stream named the same.

Victor Registered User

If you want the holy grail, go to the council drainage departments - they will have the old OS maps marked with all the natural drainage features.

lostexpectation said:
Tallaght-Kimmage-Liberties is the Poddle - you have the source wrong - its from Belgard Hill. do you mean belgard heights? i think i lost it around the tallaght IT. the poddle was the hardest river to find info on, concentrated on the end, city part. if you can find a map showing the source, its not on the os map afaik

working back up river its hard to know which is the main river, or are two sources feeding into one stream named the same.

The river has a bit of a history. It runs from the hill between Belgard Quarry and Belgard Road, with a proper source orginally around Fettercairn. I think the current source is on the west side of the ITT grounds by Belgard Road, then east through Tallaght and Tymon Park. About the 13th century a channel from the Dodder was connected to it in Templeogue to increase its flow (it was the city's main water suppy until an extra supply was added from Islandbridge). It then runs through Kimmage, partly on the surface before undergrounding again around Harold's Cross. Somewhere around Clanbrassil Street a branch was formed to head over to the City Basin (east end of St. James's Hospital). It then runs past St. Patricks Cathedral and through the castle and into the Liffey at Temple Bar.

I'll need to find some info I have elsewhere.

PS what do the colours represent?

Victor Registered User

Also look at http://maps.epa.ie/InternetMapViewer/mapviewer.aspx - they have rivers classifed by size and lots of the names highlighted.

Victor said:
Directly west of Swords is the Broad Meadow (also Broadmeadow).
You have this listed as Ballyboghill.

West from Leixlip through Maynooth is the Rye / Ryewater.

okay improved part of poddle, added part of the city watercourse poddle-dodder connection there in pink (see third post southdublin picture). access through links above.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=108692096314893578946.000461fc7d09ca8086575&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=53.238099,-6.490173&spn=0.577794,1.675415&t=h&z=10 south dublin rivers complete no-edit

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=108692096314893578946.0004620b63c2c5894be3e&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=53.317647,-6.329155&spn=0.07209,0.209427&z=13
poddle complete no-edit

dubhthach Registered User

Nice work on the Poddle, there is a section of it believe it or not that is not culverted within the canal. This is couple hundered metres from the route line that you have on your map beside Donore Avenue. See aerial screenshots from live.com and highlighted on your map. I've drawn a red box around the non-culverted section.

1 person has thanked this post
Degsy Banned

Here's the onli visible part of the finglas river.It runs along the dual carraigeway from beside Premier square,under the road and it joins the tolka downstream from the weir.(If your coming from town its on the right and joins the river on the left,near the small park)

Attachments
finglas river.jpg
GoldCircle Registered User

lostexpectation said:
okay improved part of poddle, added part of the city watercourse poddle-dodder connection there in pink (see third post southdublin picture). access through links above.

Greetings to the board - I have an interest in the Poddle and am delighted to have found other interested in mapping it out - I registered specially to get involved.

I have some updates and corrections for the Poddle sections - how can I pass them on?

Degsy said:
Here's the onli visible part of the finglas river.It runs along the dual carraigeway from beside Premier square,under the road and it joins the tolka downstream from the weir.(If your coming from town its on the right and joins the river on the left,near the small park)

Hi.

There's a River running at the back of the house I live in, It crosses from the far side of the Ratoath Road at Dunsink Lane, flows in that wasteland behind the house and on towards the River Road (the River at the River Road, I assume, is the Tolka).

Any idea what it's called?

It's kind of visible here along the blue dots, flowing from North to South.

There's a bridge crossing it there at the junction, but I don't know if it's visible at the far side of the road.

Any help appreciated.

That wasteland is a disgrace, someone should do something with it, it would be a great amenity in the summer especially.

The above does flow into the tolka ( between the flower house and the old pitch and putt course, indicated on your map with a line of hedging running down to the Tolka). Back when I was a kid it was a decent size steam and fast flowing. Over the years, between burnt out cars being dumped and soil from trenches dug in the valley the stream got blocked and stagnated, allowing vegitation to grow in the still water. It's more a swampy area now, only really flowing after a bit of heavy rain. It's visible from the bridge at dunsink lane to the Tolka.

That wasteland is a disgrace, someone should do something with it, it would be a great amenity in the summer especially.

There was plans to make the whole area a public park, (going back to the late 80's / 90's). I remember as a kid people doing surveys for trailed walks and the like. It looks like "progress" put an end to that though, the whole area has been destroyed with heavy equipment used for all the building gone on around it. It wasn't always a wasteland, it use to be a lovely bit of country side.

clown bag said:
It's more a swampy area now, only really flowing after a bit of heavy rain.

It's not quite that bad tbh, I took a walk down there a couple of weekends ago, jumped in from the Ratoath Rd and walked pretty much down to where the fifth or sixth blue dot is.

Now, the far side (I suppose the Western bank) of the River is fairly inaccessible and it looks like the travellers have commandeered it.

You talk about progress stopping development of the area, but I can't see anyone being able to build on the land there, it's quite a steep valley from the backs of the houses down to the River.

No idea of what it's called, no?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!