Ant Registered User

No Disco was a great programme alright. I didn't have a TV when Uaneen or Leagues presented the show but Donal Dineen introduced me to some great bands such as Orbital, Hyper[borea] and Palace Brothers.

Thanks for reminding me of The Aloof. "Sinking" was one of my favourite albums from 1996 but I had completely forgotten about its existence in the intervening years.

1 person has thanked this post
legologic Registered User

Fanny Cradock said:
Car crash, wasn't it? She had a nice way about her.

T'was and t'was a sad sad day...

I did enjoy the leagues era though, maybe it was the era I was brought up in. he introduced me to a lot. No Disco was an introduction so much as an awakeining. What a show regardless of presenter.

The Hustler Banned

Anyone remember 'The Sound Room' on TV3 with Darragh Purcell?? Tosser

homerun_homer Registered User

The Hustler said:

Agreed, met him once and he didn't disappoint in his t0sserness.

The Hustler Banned

homerun_homer said:
Agreed, met him once and he didn't disappoint in his t0sserness.

Yup, similar experience myself, met him backstage at a Sigur Ros gig and he was in love with himself

sweetie Registered User

The Hustler said:

met him before too when he was doing the tv3 stuff. If he was an ice cream he would have licked himself. He did play loads of mercury rev around the time of deserter's song and introduced me to a great tun called 'Causing a commotion' by the wiseguys.

Won a copy of 'blur' from no disco circa Uaneen and met her at an embrace gig years ago too. She was really nice (especially to a gangly student like me)

homerun_homer said:

Did anyone see her interview with Ian Brown at the Big Day Out in Galway?? He was one ignoratn B*llocks. She gave him a wee gift and all.

i remember that,he lost it all together,i remember no disco aswell,first time i saw stone roses love spreads video on it

drinkmilkkids Registered User

Yep first introduced to The Aloof on this show as well, great band

Fred83 said:
i remember that,he lost it all together,i remember no disco aswell,first time i saw stone roses love spreads video on it

Wasn't he chomping his way through an apple for the duration of the interview? I think i remember that now haha. Donal and Uaneen were great, best thing rte ever produced.

Doctor J Registered User

Nobody disappoints quite as consistantly as Ian Brown.

No Disco was a great show in the Dineen/Uaneen eras, turned into ****e once Leagues took over, what a dreadfully boring presenter.

Giblet Registered User

Poor Uaneen

Corholio Registered User

legologic said:
T'was and t'was a sad sad day...

I did enjoy the leagues era though, maybe it was the era I was brought up in. he introduced me to a lot. No Disco was an introduction so much as an awakeining. What a show regardless of presenter.

Cant believe it's been that long. She was driving to a Bell X1 gig when she got killed. She was going out with Paul Noonan at the time.

The Bell X1 song "In Every Sunflower" is written about her. It makes the song even more amazing when you find out it was about her. As far as i know they've only played the song once ever live, at the Hot Press awards a few years ago.

JLemmon Registered User

No Disco Best Alternative\indie Music show RTE ever put out.

There was one called the eclectic ballroom as well, can't remember much maybe it was a dream, can anybody remember it? Must not have been great, seem to remember the Pale on it and Cathal Coughlan circa fatima mansions period. And one on Fridays at 6 on RTE2 called Plastic Orange???

On the pop side, What about The Beatbox with Simon Young and Peter Collins and Ian Dempsey preceeding them? Competitions were impossible to get into, pre text phone in days. Oul Smiley Bolger was on there with the New bands Challange, bands like LIR, Grin and Watercress.

beatbox was good,just turned to s#it when dave fanning took over,smiley always looked worse for wear

JLemmon said:
And one on Fridays at 6 on RTE2 called Plastic Orange???

Yeah, I remember seeing Scheer http://www.4ad.com/scheer/profile/ on that in 1992/93 - they rocked. Shame they didn't last long.
On the pop side, What about The Beatbox with Simon Young and Peter Collins and Ian Dempsey preceeding them? Competitions were impossible to get into, pre text phone in days. Oul Smiley Bolger was on there with the New bands Challange, bands like LIR, Grin and Watercress.

Fred83 said:
beatbox was good,just turned to s#it when dave fanning took over,smiley always looked worse for wear

Good topic of discussion but please start a thread on it in the general Music forum - here is only for Alt/Indie. Thanks.

Oh wow, LIR. They were great.

tech77 Registered User

Dudess said:
Yeah, I remember seeing Scheer http://www.4ad.com/scheer/profile/ on that in 1992/93 - they rocked. Shame they didn't last long.

Talk about a blast from the past- whatever happened to them.

For some reason they kinda remind me of a cross between Therapy and Elastica.

FWIW, another track i'm reminded of from that era:

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!