Toto Wolfcastle Up and at them

As the title says, when did McDonalds first open in Cork?

No particular reason that I want to know apart from my own curiosity. A friend was talking about it earlier so it's annoying me now!

Dan Dare Registered User

Don't know about Cork. The first one opened in Grafton Street Dublin in June 1977. A week after it open I overheard two American tourists (young) spotting MacDonalds and saying "Oh No, not here too"?

Lol I suppose if you come to Ireland expecting green fields and cottages and are confronted by yet another McDonalds then that's the only response you could have!

PCPhoto Registered User

pretty sure it was the Mandy's restaurant that turned into McDonalds in the mid-late 80's ..... prob 85-88 .... but just a wild guess.

For those that dont remember mandy's it was at the end of Patrick Street where it joins grand parade.

And I'm only 29 !!!

2 people have thanked this post

I don't know about Mandy's as I was born in the mid 80s but I was talking to my dad about this earlier and he starting muttering about Burgerland.

partyguinness Registered User

Well I remember being at the one on Winthorp Street in 1987 for my sisters birthday. When exactly it opened I cldnt tell you.

The one on Patricks Street used to be Mandys...was there in 1983 (Mandys that is and my first taste of pickles) as a treat before going to hospital for tonsils. Am 30 now with an elephant memory.

1 person has thanked this post

partyguinness said:
Well I remember being at the one on Winthorp Street in 1987 for my sisters birthday. When exactly it opened I cldnt tell you.

Well my friend is convinced that it opened around 1990 because he came to Cork for a family holiday (lol) and he said there wasn't one in Cork then. I knew he was wrong!

PCPhoto Registered User

there was someone asking the same question on yahoo answers (6months ago ) .... and the answer they got was mid 80's

2 people have thanked this post

Mid 80s is good enough for me!

Thanks guys.

Wallacebiy Registered User

Not sure ,
I remember Mandy's from when I was 15 , that'd be 91, I think it was closing down around then though . So mid 80's isn't right.

Was McDonalds in Douglas not opened soon after 91? I remember being there with my aunt, while my other aunt ate in the car because my baby/toddler brother was screaming too much. He was born in 91.

partyguinness Registered User

Wallacebiy said:
Not sure ,
I remember Mandy's from when I was 15 , that'd be 91, I think it was closing down around then though . So mid 80's isn't right.

Yeah but there are several McDonalds in Cork. See my earlier post.

The one on Winthorp Street was there in at least 1987. The one on Patricks Street (near Grand Parade) is far newer and I would say arrived in early to mid 90s.

jhegarty Registered User

Wallacebiy said:
Not sure ,

The former Mandy's was the second one in cork. The other one was first.

The one on winthrop street was the first.. and it opened not later than 88.. the mandys one opened much later again

Was Mandys where the blue McDonalds is so?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!