bowsie casey Registered User

Which garage in Clare is generally the cheapest ? I drive up to Sligo/Mayo area quite a bit and find cheap petrol in Howley's of Gort and especially around Ballindine/Claremorris (3-4c per litre less than Ennis) ?

Without naming current prices (as they fluctuate too much for a comparison), which garage do you find cheapest ?

exiot Registered User

Im not a driver myself but I hear O'Keefes out in Drumcliffe and Dan McInerny's (its just outside Cloughleigh with an entrance on Mill Road) are the cheapest.

Berty Registered User

I filled up yesterday in the Maxol in Clarecastle for only 90.9 for Diesel

finbarrk Registered User

The Golden Vale place in Cross is the cheapest now.

dh0661 Registered User

finbarrk said:
The Golden Vale place in Cross is the cheapest now.

@ what price ?. In Tralee we are paying over .95c pre litre, but I read in some news paper today that some parts of Cork are less than .90c.

Clareman Moderator

I got it for 94.9 (petrol), Diesal is 93.9 in most places now, not sure about DAn McInerney's, but himself, Goldenvale, Peader O'Keeffe and Michael O'Reilly were always cheap for diesal, O'Reilly's normally the cheapest

gudman09 Registered User

dh0661 said:
@ what price ?. In Tralee we are paying over .95c pre litre, but I read in some news paper today that some parts of Cork are less than .90c.

all the co-ops back west are nice and cheap at the mo

Jim Martin Registered User

The cheapest in Miltown Malbay at the moment is €0.989 at Vaughan's on the Lahinch road.

How come petrol is still so expensive when the price for a barrel of crude oil has dropped from $147 to $30 something. By that proportion we should only be paying about €0.30 per litre!

dh0661 Registered User

Jim Martin said:
By that proportion we should only be paying about €0.30 per litre!

By proportion you would be correct, but don't forget that we have one of the highest excise and VAT rate in the EU to add on.

Clareman Moderator

As Donna says, it's all tax, and it wasn't a percentage tax that used to be added on, it was always 4p, 8c and stuff like that. Remember the greens put a carbon tax of 8c up in the last budget, if it wasn't for that petrol would be down close to 90c per litre

I don't think people would mind so much if they knew the tax was going to be put towards something relevant to improving public transport rather than just disappearing down bottomless black holes!

Don't know what the cheapest is in Clare at the moment but it was said on Newstalk this morn that the cheapest listeners had found was in Birr - 94.9c, the dearest was €107.9 but can't remember where. They said retailers set the price, it's up to us to shop around - I'm damned if I'm going to drive all the way to Birr to save 4c a litre! The government (as we know to our cost) are not doing their job, they should regulate this b****y minefield (as well as others)!

dh0661 Registered User

Jim Martin said:
The government (as we know to our cost) are not doing their job, they should regulate this b****y minefield (as well as others)!

The government have regulated the price of electricity and we pay the highest rate in the EU.
Please don't let the government regulate the price of petrol as well, they take enough tax from it anyway.

There's regulation and there's regulation - it depends what kind of government are screwing us!

romah Registered User

Worked out the cost of going to Birr for 94.9c litre petrol...
Price of Petrol in Ennis at the moment is average 104.9c per litre

Distance travelled from Ennis : 228kms (114 Km each way according to AA roadwatch)

Lets say average fuel consumption is 7 litres per 100km..according to CSO

Then It will cost you approx 8 litres x 104.9c to get there ..€8.40 using petrol bought in Ennis
and 8 litres x 94.9c = €7.59 to get back because you bought the new petrol in Birr.
TOTAL : € 15.99

SO Average fuel tank capacity is say 50/60 litres ... so save between €5 - €6 for the tank .....!!!!

Concusion : Not worth the trip !!!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!