Draupnir Registered User
#2,851

Right lads, have had two proper shaves in the 5 days since I got my kit, really enjoying it so far but some questions:

1. The cream I got is great, I've been mixing it in a bowl with a small bit of water with my brush and making a lather. Is this the right/best way to be doing it?

2. Should I favour short or long strokes with the razor? Finding that short strokes means I need to re-apply the lather but at least that way I can get a good clean shave.

Genghiz Cohen Registered User
#2,852

Taylors Sandlewood is a delicious smell, deep and rich, so maybe more suited to winter months....
Maybe Avocado is a good choice for warmer days.

Michael G Registered User
#2,853

Draupnir said:
1. The cream I got is great, I've been mixing it in a bowl with a small bit of water with my brush and making a lather. Is this the right/best way to be doing it?

Yes. When you have it well mixed, a kind of gentle slapping motion with the tip of the brush whips it up a bit and makes it creamier. Some people advise that you should spend about a minute and a half on the lather and I agree.

Draupnir said:
2. Should I favour short or long strokes with the razor? Finding that short strokes means I need to re-apply the lather but at least that way I can get a good clean shave.

I don't think any two men shave the same way. After a few years shaving with a DE blade, I find that long strokes work on the flat parts of my face (like from the ear down to the jaw, and from the corner of the jaw to the chin) but short strokes are better on my upper lip. You will learn what suits you best. Just keep the contact of the blade with your skin as light as you can whatever stroke you are using.

MadsL Registered User
#2,854

After your initial mix, get your hot tap running as slowly as possible. Dribble, a little hot water into your lather. Whip with the brush, and repeat. Try and get plenty of moisture into the lather whilst aiming at whipped cream texture.

#2,855

So i placed my order for a Mühle R89 and the 50 blade sampler pack last night on shaving.ie (nice site, btw!) and i'm very much looking forward to it arriving!

Not sure about a cream (i've gone back to that bog standard Palmolive stuff, which certainly works better than that goo in a can rubbish i was using so will stick with that 'til the tube is used at least) - what blade would ye recommend for my first ever DE shave? I've been watching plenty of videos about the actual shave and i'm putting aside extra time for re-learning how to shave, just wondering what blades would be good as 'training wheels'? (from reading around the thread a bit, i'll probably cleave my head off with the Feathers!)

Cheers folks

Edit - i basically asked the same question twice, sorry!

#2,856

I'd recommend starting with the Astra or Personna blades.

Nothing wrong with the Palmolive cream - at the price it sells for it is unbeatable. Pick up a stick of the Palmolive shaving soap as well.

1 person has thanked this post
Insect Overlord Moderator
#2,857

I had my last 3 shaves with a Personna blade (experimenting with the 50 blade sampler too, even though I already enjoy the Feather blades) and I like the way it feels.

So far I've found the first 2 passes great and the third a bit more bloody. Good prep makes a big difference though.

source Registered User
#2,858

Insect Overlord said:
I had my last 3 shaves with a Personna blade (experimenting with the 50 blade sampler too, even though I already enjoy the Feather blades) and I like the way it feels.

So far I've found the first 2 passes great and the third a bit more bloody. Good prep makes a big difference though.

I still have to give you a sample of floid.

Insect Overlord Moderator
#2,859

source said:
I still have to give you a sample of floid.

No rush. The Speick is lasting ages anyway.

1 person has thanked this post
#2,860

I just started using my starter kit from shaving.ie with a timor bronze safety razor. Great smooth shave, its amazing the difference when I actually take the time to prepare my skin first.

#2,861

I'm DE shaving about five years now. I was abroad for the weekend and had to bring an electric razor because I had only carry-on luggage. Useless yoke. I couldn't wait to get home and get that clean smooth feeling that only a wet shave with a good blade can give.

#2,862

Gran Hermano said:
I'd recommend starting with the Astra or Personna blades.

Nothing wrong with the Palmolive cream - at the price it sells for it is unbeatable. Pick up a stick of the Palmolive shaving soap as well.

Cheers for the advice, much appreciated

Have a stick of Palmolive soap already - i've always been into doing the prep stage, it's just i've always used a lame razor. Good to know the cream is reasonable enough quality, it seems to suit my skin pretty well, have no idea why i moved to canned-goo in the first place!

investment Registered User
#2,863

Michael G said:
I'm DE shaving about five years now. I was abroad for the weekend and had to bring an electric razor because I had only carry-on luggage. Useless yoke. I couldn't wait to get home and get that clean smooth feeling that only a wet shave with a good blade can give.

you could have brought your razor and brush and cream and bought a pack of blades you tight git

#2,864

investment said:
you could have brought your razor and brush and cream and bought a pack of blades you tight git

I know that. I didn't want to risk having my razor confiscated by some jobsworth at Dublin Airport.

source Registered User
#2,865

Michael G said:
I know that. I didn't want to risk having my razor confiscated by some jobsworth at Dublin Airport.

Brought mine through as carry on loads of times......with a blade in it, and never had any problems, and I'm the unluckiest person on the planet!!!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!