thecommander Registered User

Anyone seen the Garda signs that have been put up around Bray/Greystones with N11 detour on them? They been covered by plastic in the last few days. Are they for emergency use or is there plans to close a section of the N11 soon?

Huntthe Registered User

Commander, they are to be used the way a lot of people use their indicator, to confuse the enemy

SickCert Registered User

Maybe the tailbacks into Newry are getting longer!!

These are down as far as Arklow at least. I'm intrigued by them as well. What makes you say they are Garda signs? The ones I saw didn't have any insignia on them.

bmaxi said:
These are down as far as Arklow at least. I'm intrigued by them as well. What makes you say they are Garda signs? The ones I saw didn't have any insignia on them.

The ones around Greystones/Bray have the Garda logo, and "Garda Detour" on them.

Eoin D Registered User

"Wicklow County Council would like to advise motorists that recent 'N11 detour' signs erected on Regional and Local roads adjacent to the N11 are for use only in the event of an emergency that would necessitate the closure of a section of the N11 by An Garda Siochana.

These are predetermined detour routes that will be activated should an emergency occur on the N11 that necessitates the complete closure of a section of the N11 in either direction. These are not diversion routes for any future planned works nor for the closure of a lane on the N11.

These detour routes have been signposted to facilitate motorists once diverted off the N11 to get back onto the N11 by the safest direct route."

4 people have thanked this post

That explains it then. I suppose it's good to see someone in some corner of Government is capable of thinking ahead.

loobylou Registered User

bmaxi said:
That explains it then. I suppose it's good to see someone in some corner of Government is capable of thinking ahead.

I can't see any way this is "thinking ahead". In fact this is just plain daft. Ireland must be the most poorly signposted country in Western Europe. Lets get that sorted out first. Signposting "alternative" routes to be used in the event of god knows what is simply confusing and a waste of money.

loobylou said:
I can't see any way this is "thinking ahead". In fact this is just plain daft. Ireland must be the most poorly signposted country in Western Europe. Lets get that sorted out first. Signposting "alternative" routes to be used in the event of god knows what is simply confusing and a waste of money.

I agree as regards signposting in general but as one who has, several times, been diverted off the N11 into dark mountainous areas of Co. Wicklow, it has to be a step in the right direction.

loobylou Registered User

Of course a detour should be signposted in the event of a road closure but I cannot see the sense of signposting everywhere, just in case. Temporary detours should have temporary signing. Just imagine what the place would look like if this were done for every N road in the country.

ironclaw Registered User

A quantity of N11 traffic trundelled through Bray then through Greystones? Thats pure madness. On Germanys autobahns the roads are "smart" and they have the ability to move traffic no problems. Here we don't even use the hard shoulder in case of emergencys i.e. A new lane if one is blocked.

Its a nice idea but very poor in practise.

loobylou Registered User

I don't want to appear argumentative but a blocked lane is an inconvenience, not an emergency. If it's blocked by a crashed car with injured people trapped inside (or similar), then, it's an emergency, in which case the hard shoulder must be kept empty for emergency services!
However, I digress.

ironclaw said:
Its a nice idea but very poor in practise.

It hasn't been used yet so how can you say?

I can see where Ironclaw is coming from. Back when the work was being done to widen the N11 between Kilmac and GotD a lot of traffic diverted (by choice) over Bray head and via Blacklion and it was pretty terrible at times (particularly summer 2001) with tailbacks for Greystones as far as Windgates some evenings. And even then the vast majority of traffic taking that route would have most likely taken the Delgany exit anyway had they stayed on the N11.

If there was no option but to take that route because the N11 was shut down, it would be fairly chaotic.

SickCert Registered User

Should we think back to when the N11 was closed one Friday due to water works?? was it? Backed up everywhere even Killiney hill.
Once that artery is closed i dont think Bray town could help.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!