Doggymad Registered User

i think that all pounds should be prone to unannounced calls by an independant vet atleast 10 times a year ' and what they think of what they see should be made public ' there are worse pounds than the one named its just most of them do not allow volenteers in to help the dogs at all therefore the public do not get to see whats realy behind the closed doors ...
the laws have to be changed immediately to protect these dogs ....
there should be an equal set of rule standards for each pound

Discodog Registered User

All of the above are desirable but none attainable. The Irish voters don't care & many of their own dogs are kept in worse conditions than the pound. The only way to improve things will be action by Charities - it won't be the ISPCA or action in the European Court.

Ashtown must make a profit so it is an attractive proposition to an animal charity.

Makikomi Moderator

Guys the Joe Duffy show is available to download from the RTE Liveline site.

Re. inspections of the pound, there was a Vet on the show who carries out inspections. She didn't tackle the alligations made by listeners re. the managers policies on the restricted breeds, nor did she make comment when he said it was at his discretion re. what dogs are PTS.

She was statisfied that the dogs have shelter, food and water. Anything there after wasn't in her remit.

There's one horrible description from an ex-employee who spoke about the distress caused to both staff and dogs when a dog was selected for killing (I don't use words like ''destroyed'' or ''pts'').

Joe asked if the dog knew it was about to be killed (his words this time) the girl said that they didn't know until (in spolier brackets because the description will be upsetting for some people)

Spoiler (Show)

At this stage my blood was boiling, I was absolutely livid and a little upset/distressed.

Horrible stuff.

3 people have thanked this post
cowzerp Registered User

Any link-i cant find the download!!

B'witched Registered User

Discodog said:

Ashtown must make a profit so it is an attractive proposition to an animal charity.

What do you mean by this?

bigpinkelephant Registered User

Look at this poor creature's condition, and the bed he is given to sleep in

http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=67826

Luckily someone gave him a lifeline.

Bambi Registered User

mountainyman said:
Also lab owners are not 99% scum.

And there it is, didn't take long to get to your real problem.

Beth Registered User

cowzerp said:
Any link-i cant find the download!!
I couldnt find it either. Or from the link in Mairts post after yours but did eventually.

For anyone else that wants to listen, go to the link Mairt posted.
Scroll all the way to the bottom.
On the right at the bottom is a box with "Shows from the past week"
Cllick on Wednesday and it will load in Real Player.

If you dont have Real Player, it will provide a link to download it.

Fair play to the callers for raising questions that needed answers.
And fair play to Lilly! (I take it that was Lilly here?)

2 people have thanked this post
Makikomi Moderator

Beth said:
I couldnt find it either. Or from the link in Mairts post after yours but did eventually.

For anyone else that wants to listen, go to the link Mairt posted.
Scroll all the way to the bottom.
On the right at the bottom is a box with "Shows from the past week"
Cllick on Wednesday and it will load in Real Player.

If you dont have Real Player, it will provide a link to download it.

Fair play to the callers for raising questions that needed answers.
And fair play to Lilly! (I take it that was Lilly here?)

Thanks for clearing that up, I'm in work at the moment a jumping from browser to browser (and sometimes a little work).

And yes, thats our Lilly - isn't she deadly!.

Makikomi Moderator

Bambi said:
And there it is, didn't take long to get to your real problem.

You know what, I don't know if that guy is being serious or just trolling us.

Beth Registered User

Mairt said:
Thanks for clearing that up, I'm in work at the moment a jumping from browser to browser (and sometimes a little work).

And yes, thats our Lilly - isn't she deadly!.

You're welcome.

Isnt that kind of work great Paid to surf eh

Yes, she's deadly, very good stuff raised

Whispered Registered User

Right so, email campaign anybody?

Great idea, but needs to be done asap. Could someone post an example of an email for others to copy, modify and send on. That way we're all getting the same message across.

Also, if it's there so others can just forward more people will be likely to do it.

1 person has thanked this post
Spica Registered User

During the show it was said that the pound has one of the highest rehoming rate in the country.
Firstly, what the rehoming rate has to do with the pound conditions? does having a high rehoming rate justify the unsuitable way the dogs are kept?
Secondly, of course Ashton has the highest rehoming rate!! It's the only public pound in Dublin which is the city in Irleand with most population!!! It's basic maths! (I know there is Dunboyne too but most people don't even know that Dunboyne is a Dublin pound too and it is too far away for most).
Every time there is an issue about Ashton they always come up with the statement "we have the highest rehoming rate" like if this can make them immune from any complaint.

Whispered Registered User

Ahstown has such a high rehoming rate due to the very hard work of a bunch of volunteers. Nothing to do with the pound itself.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!