The_Minister Moderator
#1

I was reading a discussion on another board, and it came up that apparently carnivores taste delicious, but since you have to feed them several pounds of meat to harvest one pound of meat, they are uneconomical to raise for food. According to some of the posters, bear is unbelievably delicious, as is lion. And lynx.

Since you guys all walk around with rabbitskin pencilcases, and cook freshly caught woodcocks over open fires etc, I figured a few of you would have tried fox.

So, whats it like?

foxhunter Registered User
#2

The_Minister said:
I was reading a discussion on another board, and it came up that apparently carnivores taste delicious, but since you have to feed them several pounds of meat to harvest one pound of meat, they are uneconomical to raise for food. According to some of the posters, bear is unbelievably delicious, as is lion. And lynx.

Since you guys all walk around with rabbitskin pencilcases, and cook freshly caught woodcocks over open fires etc, I figured a few of you would have tried fox.

So, whats it like?


I doubt you will find too many that have tried it .
The smell of them would be enough to turn anyone off i reckon.
I have on the other hand eaten crocodile and that is delicious it's only a pity we dont release them to hunt like they do in america.

whitser Registered User
#3

havent tried it but have often thought the same thing. i've heard of people eating badgers and hedgehogs back in the day.

whitser Registered User
#4

foxhunter said:
I doubt you will find too many that have tried it .
The smell of them would be enough to turn anyone off i reckon.
I have on the other hand eaten crocodile and that is delicious it's only a pity we dont release them to hunt like they do in america.

i love the smell of fox.

1 person has thanked this post
pullandbang Hosted Moderator
#5

I've eaten Bear and it's delicious. I've never treid fox but would imagine it's like an organic dog. If you look at what they eat - berries, worms, rats, mice, the odd hen, rabbit etc. then they must taste good.
Stiil , don't want to be the first to try........

jwshooter Registered User
#6

The_Minister said:
I was reading a discussion on another board, and it came up that apparently carnivores taste delicious, but since you have to feed them several pounds of meat to harvest one pound of meat, they are uneconomical to raise for food. According to some of the posters, bear is unbelievably delicious, as is lion. And lynx.

Since you guys all walk around with rabbitskin pencilcases, and cook freshly caught woodcocks over open fires etc, I figured a few of you would have tried fox.

So, whats it like?

chicken

1 person has thanked this post
ejg Registered User
#7

Only part I don't like is the "hot dog"

edi

1 person has thanked this post
riflehunter77 Registered User
#8

Have not eaten it myself but iv heard a few stories of people eating in the 30s and the 40s when times were pretty bad. Iv had croc, kangaroo and monkey aswell.

Sparks Moderator
#9

Well, if dog can be almost a national dish in some countries, I imagine it's got to be at least edible.

I'd rather not be the first to try it though

cavan shooter Registered User
#10

I have in my travels ate dog It is normally eating with spices and rice and be honest you wouldnt know what it was unless you asked.The Dogs are bread for eating by the way

It tends to be tough and so used in stews also used in soups. Remember folks it was amudsens use of dogs in many ways that allowed for his successess on polar expeditions.

Fox....... now I draw the line on eating a fox, however it depends on how hungry I was. Evidence from prehistoric campsites in the uk suggest all animals were a walking feast..

Grizzly 45 Registered User
#11

I have dined on canine.The meat is very much like veal in look and texture it was cooked like in a Fondue[boiling oil].Taste...welll...bland and pretty chewy.
Seeing that I am a dog lover I wouldnt' be making it my regular dinner option,of a Jack Russel avec due veg .But being pragmatic it would be an option if things got really tough.

There is historical fact that some hunting mad Vicar in the UK,used to serve up roasted Renaryd in the 18th century for dinner of the hunt.

By and large I think you could eat fox no bother,but seeing it is a predator,you would want to be well careful of not eating any internal organs,brains or spinal cord,and checking it well for internal parasites.
It would be more ethical and social taboos that would stop us from eating things other folk on this planet would think of delicaes.

chem Registered User
#12

Fox is not as nice as dolpin, and alot chewier that barn Owl

Vegeta Moderator
#13

Never eaten it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/the_daily_politics/4853388.stm

any meat that needs to be under running water for 3 days would not be on my plate

Kat1170 Registered User
#14

Beaver is quite tasty

Sparks Moderator
#15

Vegeta said:
any meat that needs to be under running water for 3 days would not be on my plate
No, but feck it, if people can eat meat that's been buried for six months, then damn near anything must be edible...

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!