craichoe Registered User

cuculainn said:
You will probably need to buy a gadget to turn off the service warning once you have the service done

Usually you can turn off the service indicator with a combination of the Dash controls and key

Volvoboy Registered User

Today i've purchased bit of elderly jap steel, 1989 Toyota Carina II 1.6 manual Tax and Nct'd. Was used as a taxi up untill last week she was put out to pasture and i knocked into the house and it was mine picked her up tonight.

She started without failure, the chap who owned it kept it in reasonable condition, interior very clean. Bodywork as you can assume it a bit tatty.

So There's a few jobs need doing

The clocks have packed in it's stopped at 248K miles nct that was done in Jan the mileage was 237K, so i need to replace the pinacle

Next up a service

Maybe a new radio

Timing belt

And replacing a interior door handle.

Think of it as the Boards.ie resto project, i'll take a few pics when i'm doing it as post it the same as the 1st post.

-VB-

1 person has thanked this post
qz Registered User

Much obliged for the very informative posts VB, and I was actually going to suggest a thread or two devoted to a particular project if anybody had one!

biggus Registered User

i think thats called a binacle

Volvoboy Registered User

biggus said:
i think thats called a binacle

Yea that too.

Rowley Birkin QC Registered User

Good thread VB.

I've been servicing my own car for a few years now and there it's hugely satisfying. I won't touch anything in the brake system though.

A Haynes manual is invaluable for anyone thinking of starting to work on their own car.

alo1587 Registered User

macshadow said:
Do you need to gap the plugs anymore?

I would ALWAYS gap the new plugs out of the box to manufacturers spec if they were going into a performance car.Probably not if it was a standard family car.

Hal1 Registered User

I got NGK plugs and they where pregapped (sp?).

Volvoboy Registered User

alo1587 said:
I would ALWAYS gap the new plugs out of the box to manufacturers spec if they were going into a performance car.Probably not if it was a standard family car.

Hal1 said:
I got NGK plugs and they where pregapped (sp?).

If ya want to gap the plugs buy and inexpensive feeler gauge & check the Spec's in the Owners manual.

But the majority of plugs on the market come pre-gapped.

fair play VB for that, if everyone did this think of the cash saved

eringobragh Registered User

First off fair play to VolvoBoy (AKA CarinaBoy ) for putting those guides together

x in the city said:
fair play VB for that, if everyone did this think of the cash saved

x2 although not being pedantic, but there's only certain types that are 'capable' of doing stuff like this, myself I've never been afraid to do stuff like this changing MCBs in fusebox etc. I've mates that wouldn't know how to check the oil let alone change it, Having said that theres people much better in other areas that I would completely fail.

First time I got under a car was April last year (armed with a haynes manual) , Had a company van for years but never worried about servicing

My NGKs are pregapped,well they were they exact same as the old ones from a previous service with Nissan but a bit over the Haynes spec.. I get my oil filter, cooper washer and NGK spark plugs from Nissan when I'm in the airside area comes to 28euro or soemthing to that effect. I change the oil every 6 -7 thousand or 6 - 8 months (Bardahl 10W40 €22 for 5 litres). The sparks every 12 months or 10,000. I've had a few bits to do on the car reckon I've saved myself around €1000 in labour last year.

Volvoboy Registered User

eringobragh said:
First off fair play to VolvoBoy (AKA CarinaBoy ) for putting those guides together

S.I.R Registered User

putting all the mechanics in ireland out of a job

Volvoboy Registered User

S.I.R said:
putting all the mechanics in ireland out of a job

No just helping people to save a few euro, ya know seeings how the whole Country is ****ed.

Maybe you could do the same S.I.R next time your doing a clutch ya could post a few pics on how to do it, it'd be great to see it in pictures.

5 people have thanked this post
S.I.R Registered User

Volvoboy said:
No just helping people to save a few euro, ya know seeings how the whole Country is ****ed.

Maybe you could do the same S.I.R next time your doing a clutch ya could post a few pics on how to do it, it'd be great to see it in pictures.

no worrys at all.

finally a fan !

i win at life !

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!