thebaz Registered User

Question for the experts ?

when brightening an image do you use a combination of both Levels and Curves ?

or just exclusively one or the other ?

Thanks
b

5uspect Moderator

You can do everything levels can with curves, just use straight curves. So I just use curves most of the time. Levels is still useful however.

CabanSail ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ʎɹobǝʇɐɔ

I use curves through a mask, as per the Guy Gowan method. I'm not an expert but he is.

Fajitas! Registered User

Both... and lots of 'em...

thebaz Registered User

Fajitas! said:

so you'd use both on the same image ? would you not be better using one or the other ?
or do the combine well together when editing an image ?

Covey Registered User

I'm no expert both both on the same image as well, generally Levels first and then curves. Bringing the sliders on levels to the edges of the graph makes a huge difference. Auto Levels does this pretty well actually.

Just remember curves is very powerful and is not just a brightning/darkning tool.

kjt Registered User

Fajitas! said:

+1

smelltheglove Registered User

As I progress more I am leaning more often to curves but in stages, I rarely do what I want in one go of curves unless I get a perfect shot

Gambler Registered User

Are there any good tutorials any of you would recommend on how to effectively use levels and curves? I've used a bit of both but only to replicate effects I've seen done before and I don't REALLY understand what I'm doing properly

smelltheglove Registered User

Well I always go by the trial and error method honestly, works for me.

Gambler said:
Are there any good tutorials any of you would recommend on how to effectively use levels and curves? I've used a bit of both but only to replicate effects I've seen done before and I don't REALLY understand what I'm doing properly

I would reccomend the Guy Gowan DVD's

Bought them earlier this year for €60 ea

They are a lot cheaper now, if you know where to get them.

His techniques are non-destructive & logical.

Gambler Registered User

Just found a couple of his dvds, which one would be the place to start when it comes to levels and curves? "Cosmetic Techniques" seems to be more about portraits or would it also be of use for landscape\general pictures.

I would probably start with the Colour to Mono DVD. That one concentrates on contrast.

Gambler Registered User

Interesting, I'm not a big fan of black and white\sepia photos myself (I'm more about the interesting colours when I can get them!) but it might be a good way to get to grips with some of the principles yeah?

ThOnda Registered User

Levels, curves. And curves on selections/masks in GG style.
I have to second that Colour to Mono DVD. It was my first one and I can't wait for Santa to bring me the other two ones.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!