kelly1 Registered User
#1

Hello,

has anyone heard of Lorna Byrne who claims to be able to talk with God and the angels?

She appeared on the Late-late Show last Friday and her website is at http://www.lornabyrne.com

Personally I very skeptical of her claims and if she is indeed communicating with angels, they are probably of the fallen variety.

She has in subtle ways said that it doesn't matter to God which religion we practice and she never mentions Jesus.

From what I've seen of her writings and videos, she will lead souls away from Christ. Apparently she's quite popular, has been on a couple of prominent TV shows and her new book is on the best-sellers list.

God bless,
Noel.

EDIT: http://www.rte.ie/tv/latelate/20081107.html (Link for video).

Hivemind187 Registered User
#2

I doubt she is a false prophet mate.

Visual and auditory halucination coupled with ingratiation to her audience that would make a cold reader blush.

Either a schizoid or someone trying to make a quick buck.

6 people have thanked this post
#3

Not a fraud she's made this claim for many years.

She is mad, being misled by the tempter or she is a true mystic like St Joan or Teresa of Avila or the little flower.

There is no reason why a mad person could not be misled by the tempter or in close communication with God.

kelly1 Registered User
#4

Hivemind187 said:

Either a schizoid or someone trying to make a quick buck.

Whether she's really in contact with spirits or making it up, she's putting way to much emphasis on angels and none on Jesus (that I'm aware of). I find that very suspicious.

4 people have thanked this post
#5

It would require detailed analysis to determine whether shes delusional in some way, or in fact just a chancer. However, if she follows the line of her American counterparts and starts offering "retreats" to discover 'your personal angel', I think we can look toward the latter as the answer.

tunamill Registered User
#6

I don't think she is a false prophet or delusion. I actually don't think she is a prophet at all. I believe that she has been given a wonderful gift, and when you hear her speak, she is quite clear that God has not, and will not, reveal everything to her. She may only have a message to remind us of our guardian angels. And I do believe her when she says that God does not abandon non-Christians and there are angels present with everyone.

I'm actually really shocked and impressed that she was welcomed on a venue like the Late Late Show, and given almost 20 minutes of air time!

3 people have thanked this post
kelly1 Registered User
#7

tunamill said:
I don't think she is a false prophet or delusion. I actually don't think she is a prophet at all. I believe that she has been given a wonderful gift, and when you hear her speak, she is quite clear that God has not, and will not, reveal everything to her. She may only have a message to remind us of our guardian angels. And I do believe her when she says that God does not abandon non-Christians and there are angels present with everyone.

It's what she's not saying that concerns me. No mention of sin and the need for redemption and forgiveness. No mention of Jesus.

The most urgent message that God needs to communicate today is that people who don't repent of their sins could be facing hell and that we need to receive forgiveness through His Son.

If these angels were true angels, they would be urging us all to turn back to God, not the angels! Of course I believe in guardian angels and that they assist us but it's God that really matters.

Here are two quotes from her website:

"The earth is a living thing and controversial as this may sound, our planet has its own spirit, its own soul."

"The most important life purpose all of us have is to live each moment of our life to the full".

What about God!?

1 person has thanked this post
tunamill Registered User
#8

kelly1 said:
It's what she's not saying that concerns me. No mention of sin and the need for redemption and forgiveness. No mention of Jesus.

...

If these angels were true angels, they would be urging us all to turn back to God, not the angels! Of course I believe in guardian angels and that they assist us but it's God that really matters.


I understand where you are coming from. People should not be worshiping angels, but she does say they come from God. And, for the sake of argument, wouldn't you say that living your life to the full MUST include God? People cannot build a strong faith on angels. They are only there to lead us towards the Godly path.

kelly1 said:
The most urgent message that God needs to communicate today is that people who don't repent of their sins could be facing hell and that we need to receive forgiveness through His Son.


Read the first part of your sentence. How do you know what God needs? How dare you tell God what He needs to do? Maybe all He needs is for a simple woman to share the gift of seeing God's angels at work.

(I am new to boards, and I don't know how to quote, so I hope I am using this right).

2 people have thanked this post
kelly1 Registered User
#9

tunamill said:
I understand where you are coming from. People should not be worshiping angels, but she does say they come from God. And, for the sake of argument, wouldn't you say that living your life to the full MUST include God? People cannot build a strong faith on angels. They are only there to lead us towards the Godly path.
Yes life lived to the full must include God but I don't hear that message coming from her. Her message is more about angels than God. The angels prostrate themselves before God's majesty!

tunamill said:

Read the first part of your sentence. How do you know what God needs? How dare you tell God what He needs to do? Maybe all He needs is for a simple woman to share the gift of seeing God's angels at work.
A bit presumptuous of me indeed! I was a bit wary of writing that but I'm fairly sure that what God wants to communicate to us that we are made to know, love and serve Him and that He loves us infinitely despite our sinfulness and wants to forgive us.

Doctor DooM Moderator
#10

kelly1 said:
Hello,

has anyone heard of Lorna Byrne who claims to be able to talk with God and the angels?

She appeared on the Late-late Show last Friday and her website is at http://www.lornabyrne.com

Personally I very skeptical of her claims and if she is indeed communicating with angels, they are probably of the fallen variety.

She has in subtle ways said that it doesn't matter to God which religion we practice and she never mentions Jesus.

From what I've seen of her writings and videos, she will lead souls away from Christ. Apparently she's quite popular, has been on a couple of prominent TV shows and her new book is on the best-sellers list.

God bless,
Noel.

EDIT: http://www.rte.ie/tv/latelate/20081107.html (Link for video).


Is it not more likely the lady is simply mentally unwell?

4 people have thanked this post
kelly1 Registered User
#11

SDooM said:
Is it not more likely the lady is simply mentally unwell?
I don't think so. She seems quite compos mentis to me.

1 person has thanked this post
anonymous_joe Registered User
#12

Lots of people seem Compos Mentis...

2 people have thanked this post
tunamill Registered User
#13

In case anyone is interested, I came across a couple of interesting articles by Fr. William P. Saunders about angels and the Catholic faith here:

http://www.holyspiritinteractive.net/columns/williamsaunders/straightanswers/angels1.asp

and here:

http://www.holyspiritinteractive.net/columns/williamsaunders/straightanswers/angels2.asp

He reminds us that God created the angels before the rest of creation, that angels are directly involved in human affairs, and that the word "angelos" means "messenger" in Greek. One point he makes is that "Throughout sacred Scripture, the angels served as messengers of God, whether delivering an actual message of God's plan of salvation, rendering justice, or providing strength and comfort."

So Kelly, although your image of God's love and plan for salvation is entirely valid, Lorna may just be serving as a messenger reminding us of angelic messengers that God has given us, as a source of strength and comfort.

You are free to disagree with me, but it is thought-provoking.

1 person has thanked this post
#14

Must be true she has her own website and a book.
Which choir is the angel from who's visiting her anyway?

ukonline Registered User
#15

She did say at the beginning of her interview, did she not, that she was diagnosed as 'retarded' as a child.

QED...

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!