JDee Registered User

Sad news indeed.

On behalf of Abbey Discs will all DJ`s copy and paste this into their Blog, Bebo, Facebook etc

(Mods please excuse the CAPS, Im pasting this in as is)

IT IS WITH SAD REGRET THAT "ABBEY DISCS" RECORD SHOP WILL BE CLOSING IT'S DOORS ON THE "25th NOVEMBER" FOR THE LAST TIME AFTER 25 YEARS IN THE MUSIC BUSINESS.

FROM THE EARLY DAYS IN THE "ABBEY MALL" (IF YOU'RE OLD ENOUGH YOU WILL REMEMBER) TO WHERE WE HAD HAVE BEEN FOR THE LAST 12 YEARS IN LIFFEY STREET, ALL THE STAFF FROM ABBEY DISCS PAST AND PRESENT *ESPECIALLY BILLY* WOULD LIKE TO TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO THANK EVERYBODY FOR THE CUSTOM AND SUPPORT OVER THE LAST 25 YEARS.

WE ARE AT PRESENT HAVING A MASSIVE CLEARANCE SALE (IDEAL FOR CHRISTMAS PRESENTS AND NOSTALGIA) SO COME ON IN WHILE STOCKS LAST!

AGAIN WE WOULD LIKE TO THANK EVERYBODY FOR THEIR SUPPORT AND WE HOPE TO BE BACK IN THE NEW YEAR DOING WHAT WE DO BEST - SELLING RECORD BREAKING RECORDS!

SO WATCH THIS SPACE!

BILLY, DEREK, TARA, ANTHONY, TRACEY, ELAINE, NIAMH.

FLYNN-DOG Registered User

Jesus, it really is the end for vinyl. Good luck in the new year!

youcancallmeal Registered User

Wow thats sad. So many good memories of that place like buying my first vinyl and skipping school years ago and going in to listen to records. Why is it closing?

Zascar Moderator

Wow. Although i can't say I've ever bought any vinyl there, it certainly is a sad day and the end of an era for many.

My guess is that like many others, digital downloads have hit the business hard and they can no longer stay in business. Pity they were unable to branch out into different areas etc.

SEANYBOY1 Registered User

That is a kick in the bollox. Never got any vinyl but I did get many cd's and Asylum tapes there. The lads were always very helpful. Any of you remember seeing the girl that works in Abbey Discs in the Asylum?

SuprSi Registered User

Wow, this was probably the first place I ever bought tapes or Cd's - such a shame.

TANNAM Registered User

Very Strange !

I was only in there last week and Billy said he had a place to move into lined up in Temple Bar ?

What a pity ! Sign o' the times !

Fieldog Registered User

Many a day as a youth was spent with a walkman armed with the latest mix tapes and songs I wanted at the time, pestering Billy & Tara for tune ids that they genuinely hadnt a breeze of half of them!

And then finally getting the tracks in a little sealed bag of vinyl next week with me name on them! (Memories!)

One thing I certainly miss about recordshops is the relationships with Djs and them getting tracks in for you etc, the personal touch, as such!

Why doesnt beatport talk to me!!!!!

ntlbell Registered User

"throw us out a bit of progressive bill"

it was a shame they moved from abbey mall i used to love that spot

Fieldog Registered User

Or "Billys Bogey Bootlegs"

You could barely even hear half them as they were pressed on top of other vinyls!!!!

Remember the vinyl cutting machine they used to rip the promos from?

Piracy at its most olskool ! ! !

Scubadevils Did I dream, you dreamed about me?

TANNAM said:
Very Strange !

I was only in there last week and Billy said he had a place to move into lined up in Temple Bar ?

What a pity ! Sign o' the times !

I was in there a few weeks ago talking to Billy and he had said he planned to close up alright but would probably look for a smaller shop elsewhere... Temple Bar would seem a good move alright. He needs a niche to focus on again and a smaller shop somewhere like that could be the answer.

I too bought my first 12" in the Abbey Mall shop in about 1994 - it was the remix pack of Paraglide by Paragliders -

http://www.discogs.com/release/109081

I really hope he can sort something out and get a new shop open in the New Year - best of luck to him and the rest of the Abbey Discs crew

Must drop in and grab some bargains in the meantime

seannash Registered User

jesus
i used to make a pilgrimage to that place every two weeks with all the money i could save up in between.
once i started going to college i used to go there 2 or 3 times a week,miss class alot of the time to because i was listening to stuff.
remeber thre thrill of being let behind the counter to have a look for yourself ha ha ha.
sad times indeed

311 Awaiting Email Confirmation

Doesn't billy have a shop in northside still ?
The mall was a much better buzz for buying records ,the cafe next door

jonny68 Registered User

ah jaysus that's a shame, i used to be in Abbey Discs 2/3 times a week not only to buy records (although that was the main reason) used to like a meeting point for Dublins commited Ravers on the scene, i used to divide my time between there and the other old record shops in the old Abbey Mall, not been in there in about 3/4 years though.

Best of luck to Billy and all the rest of the gang (is Tara still knocking about)

the end of an era.

BaZmO* Registered User

Ah it’s a sad day indeed, although if my record collection is anything to go by Billy should have plenty in the back to retire early if he wanted to!

I used to spend so much money in Abbey Discs, although I’d normally always deal with Derek rather than Billy. Used to love going into them when they were in the Mall and Derek would hand me a pile of vinyl and I’d head over to the decks and go through them. God, remember that Citronic (I think?) double deck/mixer combo that they had behind the counter?! Ha

I’d often spend all my spare cash on tunes and it’d leave me broke for the rest of the week. Total vinyl junkie at the time. I think I even bought my first 1210’s off them. Well Derek put me in contact with a guy that was selling his. That was over 15 years ago and they’re still going strong.

It’s certainly sad but it’s a bit like when Bewleys on Grafton St. was closing down, a lot of people complained but it was because the very same people had stop frequenting the place it just made the place financially unviable. I know no one here is complaining but I think you know what I’m getting at. I’d also imagine that digital downloads and the availability of vinyl online has put a huge dent in their profits.

Don’t think you’ll ever be able to talk about the heyday of the Dublin dance scene without mentioning Abbey Discs.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!