Four of a kind Registered User

The past few days i've noticed that whenever I type(including now) the letters "lag" before they appear on screen. So for instance I could have the word "experience" typed but then I'll have to wait a few seconds for it to appear one letter a time on screen.

Anyone know what could be causing this? I don't think it could be my broadband connection as its running fine and fast.

any solutions guys/girls?

Cheers.

dubmick Registered User

sounds like your pc is struggling to keep up, are you running a lot of applications at the same time?

Biggins Banned

Also consider that there might be a slight possibility that there is a memory resident virus effecting your system.

regarding running alot of applications at the same time....no. only Internet explorer.

And regarding the resident virus...how do i go about this? I have virus protection.

Lazarus2.0 Adverts.ie Moderator

Is it the same for local documents e.g. notepad/Word, etc or just web pages ?
Also are you using a laptop or desktop ? If desktop , what type of keyboard connection . Wireless , PS/2 or USB ?

Lafortezza omg vegas

Is your PC old or new?
Have you installed and unstalled loads of programs over the last while?
Have you run a virus check, adware check and spyware check recently? What software do you use for this?

Biggins Banned

Run a product like windowwasher too.
Your hard-drive might be filling up with too much temp junk.

No virus app is 100% proof. Are you updating it with definations regularly?

sounds like the op got a celeron......

Lazarus2.0 Adverts.ie Moderator

x in the city said:
sounds like the op got a celeron......

Lol ! Too soon to rule it out , that's for sure ....

daftdave Registered User

right click "my computer" and tell us what your system setup is and lets see is your system struggling to keep up.

nessyguin said:
Is it the same for local documents e.g. notepad/Word, etc or just web pages ?
Also are you using a laptop or desktop ? If desktop , what type of keyboard connection . Wireless , PS/2 or USB ?

its happening on both web pages and notepad. I'm using a dell xps m1710 laptop which is about 1.5 years old.

the typing lag seems to happen after every couple of words..and lasts a few words then goes back to normal. its really annoying me.

lafortezza said:
Is your PC old or new?
Have you installed and unstalled loads of programs over the last while?
Have you run a virus check, adware check and spyware check recently? What software do you use for this?

PC is only 1.5 years old. i use avast as my virus software.

Cork Skate Registered User

Four of a kind said:
its happening on both web pages and notepad. I'm using a dell xps m1710 laptop which is about 1.5 years old.

the typing lag seems to happen after every couple of words..and lasts a few words then goes back to normal. its really annoying me.

I am guessing its XP you are running (not clearly stated anywhere)

Ok, straight away, do this .... Run Disk Cleanup

- Click Start.
- Click All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Cleanup.
- Disk cleanup will calculate the free space on your computer, which may take a few minutes.
- After the calculation is complete, check all the checkboxes
- Click OK and Yes when prompted to delete files. Disk cleanup will delete the files and close automatically when finished.

Then Run Disk Defrag

- Click Start.
- Click All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Defrag
- Select C: Drive and click 'Defragment'

Reboot you PC and see how you go with that first. If it still happens then its definitely a virus hogging resources.

Cork Skate said:
I am guessing its XP you are running (not clearly stated anywhere)

Ok, straight away, do this .... Run Disk Cleanup

- Click Start.
- Click All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Cleanup.
- Disk cleanup will calculate the free space on your computer, which may take a few minutes.
- After the calculation is complete, check all the checkboxes
- Click OK and Yes when prompted to delete files. Disk cleanup will delete the files and close automatically when finished.

Then Run Disk Defrag

- Click Start.
- Click All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Defrag
- Select C: Drive and click 'Defragment'

Reboot you PC and see how you go with that first. If it still happens then its definitely a virus hogging resources.

yes i've done this, and also did a system restore point, but still the same annoying lag every couple of lines of typing. And also the mouse scroll lags as well. its beyond a joke.

Biggins said:
Run a product like windowwasher too.
Your hard-drive might be filling up with too much temp junk.

No virus app is 100% proof. Are you updating it with definations regularly?

I use avast and yes i update it regularly.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!