Ferny Registered User

I am getting sky+ installed next week, I was told (not by sky!!!) that I can keep and still use my old box in another room to get free to air channels, how do i set this up and what do i need?

The installer will do everything.

watty Registered User

Not Freeview. That's UK tv via aerial

Freesat = UK free channels via dish.

You just need an extra cable from dish to the room you want the other Sky receiver.

go Sky News 501
press interactive
After it is loaded remove card

Press backup and ignore errors and do not put card in.

The UK EPG with missing UK channels will load. Return to Irish EPG (no extra free channels and missing UK channnels) by re-inserting card.

Some Sky receivers will show UK EPG if plugged in without card. Some remain on Irish EPG.

3 people have thanked this post

watty said:

You just need an extra cable from dish to the room you want the other Sky receiver.

go Sky News 501
press interactive

The UK EPG with missing UK channels will load. Return to Irish EPG (no extra free channels and missing UK channnels) by re-inserting card.

Some Sky receivers will show UK EPG if plugged in without card. Some remain on Irish EPG.

I think he means FTA channels.

Usually the installer will run a third line to the other room and install the normal box there.

rogue-entity Registered User

watty said:

I tried that once, before ITV went FTA, and I lost all the encrypted channels off the EPG. I never could get that to work again, but it would have been handy. No annoying "Insert your Sky Viewing Card" message when flicking through the channels you cant receive anyway (if your using the box just for FTA). To be honest though OP, you should consider getting the installer to run two cables to wherever you want that second box, and invest in a Freesat PVR unit, that will at least let you record the UK channels which a Sky+ box wont let you do unless the channel is on the EPG.

Ferny Registered User

the guy who came to install sky+ told me to just hook up old box in another room to one of the spare ports on the dish and i would get any free channels... thanks everyone for your input

weedfreedomtinp Registered User

if you pull your card out of a irish box it arranges the bbc channels ,, thanks for this post

danois Registered User

Ferny said:
the guy who came to install sky+ told me to just hook up old box in another room to one of the spare ports on the dish and i would get any free channels... thanks everyone for your input

Do you mind me asking what he charged you to run the second line I had a sky installer offer to do it for €100 i thought that was way to high!!

John mac Registered User

this thread is a year old...

i would have thought 100 a bit high (but depends on difficulty of install)

corkonian0110 Registered User

im a complete newbie to sky but I have a skybox and dish, do i need a card to get the free channels??

John mac Registered User

corkonian0110 said:
im a complete newbie to sky but I have a skybox and dish, do i need a card to get the free channels??

no

mchammer Registered User

watty said:

go Sky News 501
press interactive

Hi all,
Does anyone know if this still works as described above??
Cheers
MC

John mac Registered User

yes (but not in the new edition HD box)

1 person has thanked this post
mchammer Registered User

thanks for reply - i got this to work ok except the RF2 output seems to be disabled when I removed the card i.e. I can't use the remote sky eye to control the box anymore from a different room. Do you know if this output is disabled when the card is removed??
Thanks
Mc

MrFrisp Registered User

Hi there..

No,it's nothing to do with the card....

It's somewhere in the settings...

I think it's in the "Hidden menu". If I'm correct,,it's .......

1. Turn on your Sky + box

2. Press the "Services" button on your Sky box.

3. Then press 4 and 0 and 1 ..(you won't see the "0"...it's hidden, just press it)

Select
RF Outlets

You should be able to access the RF outlet settings from there.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!