Notatoxford Registered User
#1

Does anyone here know what pharmacists get payed in Ireland?Does it increase much as you go on or does it say pretty static after pre reg.

1 person has thanked this post
anotherlostie Registered User
#2

I don't know what it is but anecdotally, it is a good deal less than 3 years ago. There are still a lot of pharmacists migrating to Ireland due to the higher wages here than they would get at home, and also pharmacy has been hit by the HSE this year, and inevitably this is going to lead to reductions in the profitability of pharmacies. This will then lead to a cutback in opening hours and places with 2 pharmacists will become less common (despite the shorter hours making things busier), so fewer pharmacists will be needed.

Pharmacy used to be a cash cow, but as Ireland moves towards the UK model of the State paying for more and more of the drugs bill, expect the country to become a replica of over there with Boots and AN Others controlling vast swathes of the pharmacies, and paying as they see fit.

Notatoxford Registered User
#3

anotherlostie said:
I don't know what it is but anecdotally, it is a good deal less than 3 years ago. There are still a lot of pharmacists migrating to Ireland due to the higher wages here than they would get at home, and also pharmacy has been hit by the HSE this year, and inevitably this is going to lead to reductions in the profitability of pharmacies. This will then lead to a cutback in opening hours and places with 2 pharmacists will become less common (despite the shorter hours making things busier), so fewer pharmacists will be needed.

Pharmacy used to be a cash cow, but as Ireland moves towards the UK model of the State paying for more and more of the drugs bill, expect the country to become a replica of over there with Boots and AN Others controlling vast swathes of the pharmacies, and paying as they see fit.


Thank you for your post.Does anyone here know what pharmacists in Ireland earn at the moment?I find it very hard to believe that all of the 90 odd people who have viewed this thread have no idea how much they earn...

1 person has thanked this post
bleg Registered User
#4

not too sure, in a hospital you'd be looking at a starting salary from 40-50k i think. in a community pharmacy it's more but i think the days are gone when pharmacists start on at least 70k

1 person has thanked this post
Notatoxford Registered User
#5

bleg said:
not too sure, in a hospital you'd be looking at a starting salary from 40-50k i think. in a community pharmacy it's more but i think the days are gone when pharmacists start on at least 70k


Fock,thats not fair and it certainly wasn't part of the deal!

scanlant Registered User
#6

Notatoxford said:
Fock,thats not fair and it certainly wasn't part of the deal!


what's not fair? is it the salary difference between community and hospital?

ZYX Registered User
#7

Notatoxford said:
Does anyone here know what pharmacists get payed in Ireland?Does it increase much as you go on or does it say pretty static after pre reg.



http://www.payscale.com/research/IE/Job=Retail_Pharmacist/Salary

amjon Registered User
#8





Thats pretty solid,thank god the last few years of sh1te in the uk are going to pay off.

1 person has thanked this post
headtotoe Registered User
#9

amjon said:
Thats pretty solid,thank god the last few years of sh1te in the uk are going to pay off.


Note of Warning: There are hundreds of Irish UK-trained Pharmacists qualifying now. New Irish schools coming on stream as well. There is a lot of evidence that Pharmacist jobs are getting hard to come by -much depends on the outcome of the Hickey case (judgement due this month).

Bear in mind that many employers in Ireland would prefer someone Irish trained who knows the complicated drug schemes etc.

Many friends of mine (Uk trained) are finding it difficult to get a job in Ireland.

1 person has thanked this post
amjon Registered User
#10

headtotoe said:
Note of Warning: There are hundreds of Irish UK-trained Pharmacists qualifying now. New Irish schools coming on stream as well. There is a lot of evidence that Pharmacist jobs are getting hard to come by -much depends on the outcome of the Hickey case (judgement due this month).

Bear in mind that many employers in Ireland would prefer someone Irish trained who knows the complicated drug schemes etc.

Many friends of mine (Uk trained) are finding it difficult to get a job in Ireland.


I guess I'll have to burn that bridge when I come to it.

headtotoe Registered User
#11

amjon said:
I guess I'll have to burn that bridge when I come to it.


So long as you know It's no longer the land of (Pharmacy)

milk and honey!

wexhurdler Registered User
#12

The survey found that the average full-time salary of €73,000 for a Dublin pharmacist was forecast to fall 27 per cent to €53,000 by 2010

I've just quoted that from the post.ie website.. referring to the HSE cut backs in the news today.. Does this mean that these salaries will stay at 53000 from 2010 and never return to the average 73000 earned at present??

Nonoperational Registered User
#13

Starting salary now 45-50k euro. supervising pharmacist 55-60k (need a few years experience).3 years ago you'd start on 70k. Supervising 80-85k.

#14

gpf101 said:
Starting salary now 45-50k euro. supervising pharmacist 55-60k (need a few years experience).3 years ago you'd start on 70k. Supervising 80-85k.


It will fall further-a constant stream of Pharmacists will be still coming over from the UK in their vast numbers with the two new schools of pharmacy adding to the employment market where there is reduction in payments (which will probably lead to further pharmacy closures =>less jobs) means wages will fall even further.

liberal Registered User
#15

i heard biomeds now out earn pharms, hardly seems fair

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!