Most of them. The Dell and iPhone give the most hassle, but the others do on occasion have issues getting an IP, or even seeing the router though they're 10 feet apart.
I've also noticed that it can take forever to log into the router itself 192.168.0.1 to check the status of the unit.
Have you tried WPA?
I was originally using WPA-PSK but Dovado Support told me to do a reset of the modem and use the encryption that the Wizard setup instead.
Alright, and how did it work out without any encryption in your testing?
It's taken me until now to respond, as I'm not always home during the week. I've been in discussions with Mathias at Dovado Support regarding the following issues :
- Unit not powering up the 3g modem
- Not being able to see the unit further than 10 feet away, but neighbours AP's are all visible
- UMR's own backend software hanging when logins are attempted
Point 1 is not resolved yet, but I have sent a log file from the UMR to Mathias which shows errors when trying to communicate with the Huawei E270. Point 2 I've tried to rectify with different encryption, no encryption, and I've had no luck yet. Point 3 seems to be a Firefox issue, going in through the backend using IE is quite fast. Which is naturally weird for me.
So I'll update this thread when I've some more news. It's still frustrating to have these issues, but it's reassuring that they're listening to feedback.
is the HUAWEI E169 wireless modem compatible with this router ?
HUAWEI E169 is absolutely compatible.
I use it with a flat connection, no problems at all.
In the next releases of the firmware, could you implement a QoS?
Is that possible?
New features and fixes now available on http://www.dovado.com/umrfirmware
DOVADO Support Team
Proper QOS only works if the actual Mobile Operator recognises the tag. That won't happen. QOS on the local traffic (e.g. WiFi Media Server and Xbox on TV set) also has the problem that the the Media devices have to support the QOS tag (most don't).
So really there is only meaningful QOS on VOD/IPTV/VOIP provided by the actual network Operator on a Modem/Set-box/VOIP-ATA with built in router, modem and Audio or video. Such as Magent/Smart fibre IPTV or VOIP/Phone built into UPC or Digiweb Modems with phone ports.
Dovado can add QOS features till cows come home and it will have about zero effect on GPRS/EDGE/3G/HSDPA modem connection.
For those of you who have had the misfortune of experiencing in connection drops, thus requiring you to restart the UMR to establish the connection, we have put together a watchdog functionality called the Connection Tracker. Here's a snippet of what it looks like and how you can configure it (as per example).
In it, you insert 2-3 publicly available IP addresses. In my case, I used the command prompt in Windows to discover the IP addresses of several destinations. You have to make sure that these IP addresses are actually replying. Once you insert them into the Connection Tracker, click on Test Now to make sure they are working.
At the bottom, you select your Failure Handling. It speaks for itself.
Also, the interval means how often you want these pings to go out. By default it is set to once a minute. There's a calculator next to it that provides an approximate figure of monthly consumption per inserted IP address and per interval.
I'm about to upgrade to the new firmware, but I didn't see anything on the fix list about DHCP failing to respond after long periods. I've had my UMR about a month and a half now and 3 or 4 times it's crapped out because the DHCP failed to assign an IP address to a computer trying to connect to it.
This isn't just my PC either, there's my Mac laptop and the other PC in the house too. All it takes it pluggin it out and back in again (can't get on the network so I can't go to the admin panel and reset it). It's a bit of a pain because of where the modem is located - is anybody else experiencing this issue?
Other than that I've had zero problems with the UMR
Whoops, completely forgot to chime in with ned here about the issue when trying to log into the admin area (192.168.0.1) - it's been "loading" in Firefox for about 5 minutes now, nothing on the screen and no HTML received (View->Source is blank). However, fire up IE7 and bam, 2 milliseconds and it's loaded. Works just great in Safari too. Refreshing the FF window does nothing.
Anyone tried this with an O2 data modem?
model Huawei Mobile Connect E270.
Looking to see does it work out of the box okay with it.
Parents switched to O2 from 3 and was thinking of gettting them a router for Xmas to save them having to use the laptop near the window. I don't think they could handle many technical issues so I would prefer it just worked out of the box or if it was some simple once off fix that I could perform that would make it a stable wireless connection.
I have this setup and its working great, go ahead!
There's been a lot of fixes that we haven't mentioned in the release notes as the focus was the new features. I suggest you upgrade your unit to 2.0, clear out the internet cached files and cookies, and try everything you've mentioned previously.