Schnork Registered User

Hey all!

I'm on a health-related diet at the moment and have to avoid yeast and wheat-does anyone know of anything that I can drink while on such a diet?!
I was told that vodka is ok, due to the triple distillation process, but can anyone think of anything else?
I assue yeast must be present in all alcohol to convert the sugars to alcohol? I'm off to a music festival next week and would like to be able to have a few tipples! I miss beer and wine and cider!!!

Thanks in advance everyone!

Zorba Registered User

Schnork said:
Hey all!

I'm on a health-related diet at the moment and have to avoid yeast and wheat-does anyone know of anything that I can drink while on such a diet?!
I was told that vodka is ok, due to the triple distillation process, but can anyone think of anything else?
I assue yeast must be present in all alcohol to convert the sugars to alcohol? I'm off to a music festival next week and would like to be able to have a few tipples! I miss beer and wine and cider!!!

Thanks in advance everyone!

champagne is also yeast free, can pretend your celebrating everytime u have a drink !

Schnork Registered User

Is it really? Oh wow-that's great news Worthy of a celebration in fact, hehe!! Champers anyone?!
I wonder if that applies to the cheaper versions-cava and the like?

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated

Gin and tonic.

oblivious Brewinator

Miller is sterile filtered, although this wont remove soluble yeast proteins that may cause a response.

oblivious Brewinator

Zorba said:
champagne is also yeast free, can pretend your celebrating everytime u have a drink !

The méthode champenoise will remove the majority of the lees/yeast but I doubt they are sterile filtered so there will be some yeast left

Although some sparkling wines maybe filtered and the forced carbonated before bottling

rubadub Registered User

No spirits will have yeast, unless it is some oddball stuff that mixes it back in. No need for triple distillation, just one distillation will get rid of all solids & yeast. Not all vodka is triple distilled anyway, if you use a fractionating still it goes past once but can be the equivalent of 20 distillations/plates if done right.

I also would have thought the amount of yeast in clear beer/wine would be only trace amounts. I would expect more yeast in a few crumbs of bread than my 8 pints of clear beer, i.e. I would be far more worried about the food I ate.

shanel23 Registered User

Once again Whiskey is the solution and so many great Irish ones to choose from

Schnork Registered User

Thanks a million for your replies, I feel much better now
I know what you mean about being more worried about food Rubadub-I was shocked to see that there is yeast extract in certain brands of cooked ham recently!
I had a couple of experimental glasses of wine last night and haven't turned green or keeled over so far so all looking good ;-)

What are clear beers by the way? Do you mean the likes of lager, pilsner etc as opposed to the darker ales or stouts for example?

Cheers!

BeerNut Moderator

Schnork said:
What are clear beers by the way? Do you mean the likes of lager, pilsner etc as opposed to the darker ales or stouts for example?
Any non-cloudy beer, really. So lagers yes, but you'd be fine with the like of Guinness and Smithwicks since they're boiled and filtered and processed nine ways from Sunday, but also a lot of the bottled ales as well. Just avoid anything cloudy -- wheat beers like Erdinger, Paulaner, Hoegaarden -- and anything that says it's "bottle conditioned".

oblivious Brewinator

I do think brewing yeast gets some bad press, there is a suggest that a lot of the yeast problems people have is the fast acting yeast used in you slice pans and such.

Schnork Registered User

Thanks very much, this has all been really, really helpful!

Much appreciated

Mantel Registered User

Is it a yeast, wheat and refined sugers excluding diet?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!