Overheal Covfefe Connoisseur

RedXIV said:
It's not terrible, the houses themselves are actually pretty good from what i can remember, and in general, maintance etc is good. The bit that threw me off was the fact that people couldn't spend the night etc. If mates go to visit you and you go out on the tear, they have someone on the gate to make sure only residents get back in. THATS why its crap.

If this isn't an issue, go for it. but keep your eyes open, they are used to people sending in applications and then saying they found somewhere else.

From my recollection noise is an issue: you can hear your neighbours and they can hear you. If someones watching TV with their window open on floor 4 you can hear it way down the column on floor 2. If theres someone having a ride above you - well yeah. The rooms are relatively small but not bad. The Kitchen/Sitting Room is a sad joke and really says a lot for your no party rule: you would hardly want to hold one in your little kitchen-box anyway. The kitchen furnishings are pathetic.

As for the broadband thats the very issue I registered on boards for: They advertised unlimited broadband yet they block all the ports: Meaning anything outside of web browsing and instant messengers is off limits: You cant even get to blackboard, ITCarlows intraweb pages. And good luck playing any games over the connection: Its Just Not Possible. Same goes with Skype or any other Voice Over IP Application. I've tried them all. The best I accomplished was downloading video files from VEOH and other similar sites. And at that the speed is nothing to sing about.

As for the view you see on the website? a lie in my experience, I got a room that stared into another wall of the building, it was always dark, always depressing. But that only affects about 8 bedrooms in the entire complex: everyone else seemed to have a great ****ing view. The *****.

The one big Pro of the aprtments are that on average you will only have 1 other flat mate and you each have your own bathrooms, so the only things you really have left to argue about are dishes but the good news is you know exactly whodunnit if it wasnt you. And they're relatively easy to keep warm in during the winter compared to other accoms I lived in: your room size and the space heater in it..oh my god, I spoiled myself on that thing. My room was constantly 28 C during christmas and of course its right in town, which saves you an otherwise 20-30 minute trek from most other living spaces. Its still 15 from College, but thats the average.

Honestly though, try and find somewhere else. Southern Gardens looks grand. Theres also those new flats by the river: What were they called Red? I cant remember. I know Liam lived in them with Jeff. Those Apartments were great from what I saw.

Kiith Moderator

master-d said:
Just be carefull if you get a house in Southern Gardens, there is one particular landlord who is/was also a lecturer in the college who owns a lot of houses in the area that is well known as being an arragant b*ll*cks, letting himself into houses at all hours of the night claiming "its my house i can do what i want" etc...... Cant say names but i think hes the only landlord in Southern Gardens that owns over 4 houses. I lived in one of his houses before and would never do it again.

Ya, your not going to have to worry about him anymore...

ShayK1 Registered User

Overheal said:
d. Theres also those new flats by the river: What were they called Red? I cant remember. I know Liam lived in them with Jeff. Those Apartments were great from what I saw.

Are you talking about Centaur House?

offaly4sam Registered User

Kiith said:
Ya, your not going to have to worry about him anymore...

Is he gone?

RedXIV Registered User

ShayK1 said:
Are you talking about Centaur House?

The millbrook apartment by the castle i think are the ones he's talking about. they are good if you can get in them. cheap and very much promoting freedom.

As said earlier, college green, southern gardens and green road, these are the fun estates to live in. lived in college green myself for 2 years, loads of fun!

1 person has thanked this post
deaglan169 Registered User

i stayed in riverbank apartments first year and it was grand for first time away from home but definately wouldnt stay a second year, i dropped out any way but im back this year in college green should be fun.......

Kiith Moderator

offaly4sam said:
Is he gone?

Well, you could say that i suppose

master-d Registered User

Kiith said:

I knew he had cancer alright, but did he kick the bucket??

RedXIV Registered User

Kiith said:

dead?

Overheal Covfefe Connoisseur

not one of my lecturers anyway, but there was a certain newly appointed head of a particular department I would mind seeing the back of

RedXIV said:
dead?

hes not dead is he?

gosimeon Registered User

http://www.rip.ie/death_notices_detail.asp?NoticeID=48226

I had him this year as landlord. I can see why he wasn't popular, but still, RIP.

This year, I'm living in Arinaga. http://www.carlowarinagatownhouses.com/

Tis a great spot, basicly on the college. Southern Gardens was fun though.

Cmon already September!!!

Kiith Moderator

Yup, he died a few monthts ago. He was a bit of a grumpy old fellow, but wasnt that bad as long as you paid your rent and didnt trash the place.

Kazu Registered User

For a wealthy man he did not show signs off it

all that money its not like he can bring it with him

i taught he was a great landlord strict be fair

caught me smoking herb a few times never said a thing

the new landlord

Carey, Michael 086 8217801 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 27, 28, 29 & 30
Southern Gardens
19 & 25 College Gardens
79 Green Road
No 9 & Red Brick Burrin Street
41 70-90 Deposit €400 each Refundable.
Rents incl Heat & Light + Bins to €32/
week in houses. Rooms from €70-€90
Rents incl Heat & light + Bins to €45/
week in flats

Kazu said:
For a wealthy man he did not show signs off it

all that money its not like he can bring it with him

i taught he was a great landlord strict be fair

caught me smoking herb a few times never said a thing

the new landlord

Carey, Michael 086 8217801 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 27, 28, 29 & 30
Southern Gardens
19 & 25 College Gardens
79 Green Road
No 9 & Red Brick Burrin Street
41 70-90 Deposit €400 each Refundable.
Rents incl Heat & Light + Bins to €32/
week in houses. Rooms from €70-€90
Rents incl Heat & light + Bins to €45/
week in flats

I have one of them houses for sept under him. I didnt know he took over from frank

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!