Tenger Moderator

Cheers for that. Am in london on thursday so will have a look for that book. Looking at his biog,I have definitely watchd a couple of his programmes.

Dusty Warriors: Modern Soldiers at War, (2006) ISBN 9780007212842

riflehunter77 Registered User

Great book, a joy to read

Another thumbs up for Sniper one here.

Screaming Monkey Registered User

another +1 for Sniper one

a friend lent me "lone surviror", the first and last chapters of it were terrible muck...flag-waving, god fearing, massive ego stuff, its worth a read
for the middle parts, dunno about buying it though..
Thought "Warrior Soul by Chuck Pfarrer" was better.

reading this at the moment, http://www.amazon.com/Boyd-Fighter-Pilot-Who-Changed/dp/031679688 , boyd an absolute legend.

Having read Lone Survivor, I personally don't feel it was in any way "flag waving, god fearing massive ego stuff" at all. All it showed(In my opinion) was that Marcus Luttrell has a love for his country and firmly believes in God.

Very good book though, the firefight as they're coming back down the mountain is unbelievable.

+1 for Sniper One too.

1 person has thanked this post
bitemybanger Registered User

Finished it last week, very good read.
Just started Hidden Soldier, about an Irishman who joins the FFL. good so far

twinytwo Registered User

Poccington said:
Having read Lone Survivor, I personally don't feel it was in any way "flag waving, god fearing massive ego stuff" at all. All it showed(In my opinion) was that Marcus Luttrell has a love for his country and firmly believes in God.

Very good book though, the firefight as they're coming back down the mountain is unbelievable.

+1 for Sniper One too.

prob added a little on for the book

backonceagain Registered User

Books are very much a part of being a military buff or even a soldier, there should be a sticky thread for books and book discussions

christophicus Registered User

backonceagain said:
Books are very much a part of being a military buff or even a soldier, there should be a sticky thread for books and book discussions

I think a sticky thread for books would be a great idea.

bitemybanger Registered User

christophicus said:
I think a sticky thread for books would be a great idea.

Yeah +1 here.

punchdrunk said:

lone survivor was tough going,as stated every page he's on about axe and the lads being the fittest/toughest/funniest/best shots etc
and then they go and make stupid errors that would make an RDF squad blush
Spoiler (Show)

i suppose he had to gush about the others,as it's more of an epitaph/fairwell for the sake of their families than anything i'd say

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

A couple of km's dash? You do realise they were moving with quite a bit of gear,on rather unforgiving ground and they still had a mission to complete. Plus, if you read the book you'd notice what happened when the chopper sent in to try pull out any survivors tried to enter the region.

Also, to compare the actions of US Navy SEALS, in an extremely hostile environment, very much on their own and making an on the spot decision to something members of the RDF would do is ridiculously disrepectful to the SEALS that died on the mission.

Tenger Moderator

concussion said:
Get 'Dusty Warriors' by Richard Holmes. Details the operations conducted by the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment who were based just outside the city. Written at battalion rather than platoon level so you'll get a lot more info about what was happening over there. One of the best books I've read for quite some time.

Sorry for the ressurrection:

Am about 2/3 thru this book and its great. Well presented with facts and anecdotes. Not censored for yuonger readers. Great companion to SNiper One.

Will definitel buy a couple more of his books.

Hagar User 7841

I've changed the thread title and stickied the thread.

Let' see how it goes.

It wasn't me! Moderator

Dusty Warriors is excellent. It's well written, funny and enormously informative. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

iceage Registered User

+1 for Sniper one, +1 Padraig O' keffe's Hidden Soldier. A good mate of mine has lent me The Circuit, Bob Shepherd, still in it at the moment.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!