Evil Phil Contact Section

Survival.ie is now banned from http://www.boards.ie/ permanently.

Crapbag Registered User

Just to let you know we are currently organising a winter meet at the end of the month (29th/30th) Unfortunately an open invite isnt possible on this one as we may be restricted on the location. However this could change so watch this space

Crapbag Registered User

Its been a while since I update the thread. Thankfully its not due to inactivity in the club. We got out this weekend to a place called Mount Nugent in Co. Cavan (not Meath as I said before) thanks to a very generous couple who allowed us to use their magnificent woodland. We arrived on the Saturday and set up camp. In total we had 7 on site but only 3 able to stay. There was alot on this weekend (including the match and the bike show) so I wasnt surprised that not many stayed. Our sincere thanks to the landowners and the people who helped me arrange it by getting me in contact with them.

Neolithic with his mini bow drill set. Proving the idea that the size of the set doesnt matter. Although it was the butt end of some jokes :-)

Irishlostboy in his favorite position, bed! We almost need to carve a throwing stick to get him out.

We cleaned up the fire so well, we actually couldnt find it ourselves afterwards. 'You're pointing in the wrong place T!'

We identified what looked like tinder fungus but there are a few that look similar, so we're gonna dry it and test it out.

All together it was an excellent weekend. We are hoping to run many more coming into the summer. We got 3 new members from the weekend so If you are interested, pm me here or contact us by email thebushcraftclub@gmail.com

Sorry I couldn't make it down boys, but I had things on this weekend. TBH I'm getting married in May and I doubt I'll make it to any meets before them but I'll be along for sure after that.

Crapbag Registered User

No problem Phil. Good luck getting hitched.

IPNA Registered User

Hey Crapbag,
Great to see the lads getting out. The location looks spectacular. It looks like a mixed forest. How was the bird activity?

preacherman Registered User

Looks like a good weekend was had by all. I would have liked to make it myself. Looks like ye just missed the next cold spell too. The cold weather is due back this week.

Andrew

Crapbag Registered User

IPNA said:
Hey Crapbag,
Great to see the lads getting out. The location looks spectacular. It looks like a mixed forest. How was the bird activity?

Lots of activity, I was up for the chorus and was listening out for alarm calls as we travelled through. The area had great variety. Beech, birch, oak, hazel, pine and even some redwood, it was amazing. It took a while to identify most of them given the time of year. The rodidendrum was thick but it still hadnt taken hold fully. We did have to dodge some sneaky archers though. We were fairly alert so it was ok but it was the only negative on the weekend.

Crapbag Registered User

Brilliant,

That stuff is definitely tinder fungus. Brought out the bow drill set this evening and gave it a go. Instead of blowing the ember into the fungus, I simply let it burn in, it spread like mad when it go into it. I then cut some of the ember out into a nest egg and it went up easily enough. The fungus would give you that all important second attempt if you get it wrong at any stage. When the fire was up, I simply put a bit of water to the fungus and it went out. Good for another few times

Next test is to see if the fire steel and good old flint and steel will catch from it. Cant seem to find them though :-/

Also next time we meet up, im gonna set an ember in the fungus, wrap it in some leaves to reduce the oxygen and see if it lasts the car journey to the meet spot. If so, how much of the fungus was consumed? If not how long did it last before it went out?

Also, lads you'll be pleased to hear. I have made some of my magic charcloth for the next out (with special ingredient) ;-)

irishlostboy Registered User

Crapbag said:
(with special ingredient) ;-)

lmao. you can keep it.

i have two fungi. one tony and yourself found (cheers for the lump.) and another that although looked quite similar when fresh, seems to be drying very pale, and does not have the same fire properties as the dark one. dark one is the business. will not take from my flint and steel, but will from an ember. maybe ground into a powder it may take from a spark? will have to experiment. next thing to make. mortar and petsel, og bushcraft style.

Crapbag Registered User

Hi Guys,

Well we just had a great weekend in Cavan. We headed up on the Friday afternoon to get set up early to have all Saturday to play around. We made good use of the time. We got lots done including a ground oven, chair making, glue making, knife making, tracking and some edible food identification. All together it was a hugely constructive weekend and personally I learned loads.

My first task was to construct a chair, with having back trouble at present I needed it. It held up very well and last all weekend. In fact I stashed it for next time we went out there, it worked that well.

Our mission this weekend was to successfully cook a lamb joint in a ground over without getting food poisoning. We built the ground oven and prepared the fire for the stones. The stones had to be white hot and quite large to retain the heat for any length of time. (Avoid shale porous stones that contain natural fissures. These tend to crack and spit)

Next we set about making some pine resin glue. This worked quite well, we extracted the resin and added to fat and used charcoal as a temper.

The end result wasnt bad but might have done with a little less fat as it took a while to set.

I wanted to make a knife out of natural material this weekend. My initial experiment was with antler. I heard antler was tough to break. Guess what, it was and it made it difficult to work with. Burning through it would have made more sense but I needed the shards to work with.

Instead I decided to use the bone from the roast as it broke more cleanly and gave me what I wanted, a nice flake. Its tough to sharpen though. The antler can be used for flint napping now anyway

We made the ground oven and the roast was a great success. Im not a big fan of lamb but this was the best lamb I had ever had. The meat was nicely done and very moist. Big hit with everybody

We had the roast with a wild garlic stew and primrose tea (all collected locally)

We got more done than I could put in a post really.Some of the other stuff we did included, collecting birch poly pore, tinder fungus, rabbit tracking and more. It was a fantastic weekend and I hope all our weekends are this educational and worthwhile.

was a great trip out. much thanks everyone. hopefully it will keep going so well for the summer. here are some more pics of the trip out. thanks to Donal, Shane and Keara. cant wait to get out with you all again soon.

cooking dinner

an irish kebab. lol.

keira carving.

there were loads of frogs.

the location is beautiful.

pork on the hoof.

was a relaxing time.

Always good to see frogs. We're you allowed to eat the saddlebacks?

Evil Phil said:
Always good to see frogs. We're you allowed to eat the saddlebacks?

lol. the size of them, it would take an army to get through one. when you see one of these full grown pigs you can see why they are such a staple food. they are huge eating/plowing machines. as it was donal had more than enough lamb left over to make sandwiches for his lunch for a while, and i carried out half the food i brought in with me, but was still eating non-stop. good food, good sleep, good people. toughing it out in the wild is such a chore

ya i love frogs. great sign life as they are delicate. there were of course also tics. i hate tics.

meathmannn Registered User

Fair play to you folks.
Have to comment on the photos, stones around the fire!!

I know it's the done thing in scouting groups etc., but from my training overseas with people like John Ryder (Ray Mears school etc) they've been steering clear of it for the last 15 years or so.

Apart from the safety end of things (stones can shatter depending on type + if they contain moisture), the teaching for a long time has been to clear the ground and debris around it and not to use stones therefore stones don't get fire marked, looks bad etc. leave no trace ethic etc. etc.

Otherwise fair play to all, keep up the good work, learn and pass on the skills.

As someone wisely said Survival is surviving, bushcraft is surviving comfortably!!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!