there-there Registered User

Syferus said:
What's so terrible about it besides her diary?
They've been proressive in keeping tabs on this board snd their paper dissections are all other papers - based on random teachers' opinions.

It not a new issue and it's been one that's been inherrant in the media at all levels for decedes now.

It's also featured bits on certain secondary school throughout the week, which is far more than others have done.

Rosanna Davidson telling us the day before the LC started how she did 15 hours study each day for her exams was no help whatsoever

Syferus Registered User

there-there said:
Rosanna Davidson telling us the day before the LC started how she did 15 hours study each day for her exams was no help whatsoever

In that case it was an op-ed article. The newspaper gives free reign to the person and lets them say what they will.
Anything else would be censorship.

In Laura Brady's case it was bad judgement to choose her even before she wrote anything as her situation is absurdly unique.

Bonzo-Reborn Registered User

So i know you don't want to know and you don't really care, and the critisicm i have recieved in this thread although small compared to the poor other girl i am taking it on board.

I've been a member of these boards a while but when i was told i was being discussed i said i'd make a return to satisfy my curiosity.
Regardless that i almost got banned because of some rule about not popularising events ran by a certain concert organiser.

Im glad people can relate to me, however i feel Laura is getting off quite hard, i have never done anything like this form of writing before, and i doubt she has either.

Also a couple of pages back a guy tried to say that i could have disagreed with the statement, the word 'duh' comes to mind but as the following person said, i was hoping on a character solely on Iago(intrigue).

Anyway i'll probably become more active on this soon enough but as of now ill just browse. Thanks for all the reassuring posts and even the critical ones are welcome.

Toto Wolfcastle Up and at them

Bonzo-Reborn said:
So i know you don't want to know and you don't really care, and the critisicm i have recieved in this thread although small compared to the poor other girl i am taking it on board.

I've been a member of these boards a while but when i was told i was being discussed i said i'd make a return to satisfy my curiosity.
Regardless that i almost got banned because of some rule about not popularising events ran by a certain concert organiser.

Im glad people can relate to me, however i feel Laura is getting off quite hard, i have never done anything like this form of writing before, and i doubt she has either.

Also a couple of pages back a guy tried to say that i could have disagreed with the statement, the word 'duh' comes to mind but as the following person said, i was hoping on a character solely on Iago(intrigue).

Anyway i'll probably become more active on this soon enough but as of now ill just browse. Thanks for all the reassuring posts and even the critical ones are welcome.

Which one are you again?

Syferus Registered User

Bonzo-Reborn said:

Well, to be fair you've done a good job at giving an idea of he pressures and hopes of the exams.

I think the fact she has done little beyond wax lyrical about herself is what has been so off-putting and that's something your exam diary (as well as others') don't seem as concerned with so it is a problem with the persona she has developed (or has decided to present).

Syferus Registered User

janeybabe said:
Which one are you again?

I'd safely wager he's Mark Roche, the guy who is doing the Irish Independent's exam diary.

Toto Wolfcastle Up and at them

Syferus said:
I'd safely wager he's Mark Roche, the guy who is doing the Irish Independent's exam diary.

I actually think he's doing a good job, as I'm sure others do too. He describes the build up outside the exam, the exam itself and after the exam, and he throws in a bit of humour.

Is the one from the Times in the paper today? I was going to buy it to see what the fuss is about.

scholes19 Registered User

here here hes doing a great job!!

Thanks guys, and yes, it is Mark Roche!

teckoda Registered User

Just out of Irish, a little early. Decided to come downtown and blog about it I need to sleep so badly =.=

PrivateEye Registered User

beautiation said:
I know her from the institute a couple of years back (I moved on first time though, just hanging around the LC board for a bit of nostalgia), and she's really not that bad in real life. Not at all surprised she's still there though. People like her are just as happy in the Institute as they would be in medicine, as long as they're doing the most elite thing at the level they're at it's grand. The tute is crawling with her type, soon they'll be opening up a residential wing for the permanent residents. Places like the tute are rich people's defence agaisnt the fact that any old commoner can go to college now, so they cling and stagnate in it for years because it's the last point of exclusivity along the educational path (they do also offer a ****ing super education for those after one though tbf). Like **** she'd have picked medicine if it was a 400 point course. If she had to repeat the leaving cert at a normal school, she'd have taken her first score and run.
But she does have quite touching flashes of humanity at times, believe it or not. They just struggle to get through her perma-materialism.
Her columns however, are cringe-inducing drivel. I reflexively scrunched the paper up in embarrassment at her line about striding towards the day when the maitre d of the educational system would show her to the CAO's most elite table.
She tells us what movie star she looks like daily. Each piece of furniture in her house has more posh titles associated with it than the Sistine Chapel. She goes to the institute, and feels the need to mention it 3 times per article. We get it Laura, now write about the frigging exams!

And I can confirm she got the gig by high up connections at the times, it's a perk of being Ross O Carroll Kelly's twin.

The above post made me laugh, and made me think, and is the best thing I've seen on the internet in a long long time.

It's a wonder she's still writing the diary. We wont be picking up the Irish Times this week. Between her, and Dr. Garret Fitzgerald they can go and get ****ed this week.

I still can not believe they gave her the diary in the first place. Madame Editor, whats the story?

whats ironic is that the editor of the times is originally from where i live and is also friends with my parents.

Livo Registered User

laura brady has to be the most annoying person on the face of the planet....not all of us can afford to go out and see sex and the city and "trip through the streets of donnybrook" at 2am before english paper two!! seriously, get someone who's more on a level with the standard leaving cert student...

The Walsho Registered User

No diary entry today?

i think the times runs from tuesday to saturday aswell!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!