g'em Closed Account
#211

metaoblivia said:
The girl in the second photo, Laura Campos, looks like a man (btw, they both look really young, but Alicia is 21, and Laura is 20).

If she ever wanted a second career as a Figure Competitor she could do quite well. She'd probably need a boob job though.

Out of curiosity are gymnasts tested regularly in all competitions?

Red Hand Registered User
#212

metaoblivia said:
I think toned and athletic is sexy, but not huge muscles.
For example, the first girl, Alicia Sacramone, looks nice, I think. She obviously in shape and toned, but still looks feminine. The girl in the second photo, Laura Campos, looks like a man (btw, they both look really young, but Alicia is 21, and Laura is 20).


Yikes, now that's a contrast! They obviously compete in different styles or something? Would girl 1 be able to do what girl 2 does?

Rob_l Registered User
#213

g'em;55876419
If she ever wanted a second career as a Figure Competitor she could do quite well. She'd probably need a boob job though.

Out of curiosity are gymnasts tested regularly in all competitions?



I would think they are tested to Olympic, world athletics levels seeing as thats were they compete

g'em Closed Account
#214

Rob_l said:
I would think they are tested to Olympic, world athletics levels seeing as thats were they compete
You can be tested in a sport in the Olympics but not tested in regional or national competitions. I compete in a drug-tested federation but at any given competition only 10% of athletes are tested; it's rare to find a sport where all athletes are tested all the time and I'm curious to know how frequently gymnasts get tested.

justsomebloke Registered User
#215

metaoblivia said:
I think toned and athletic is sexy, but not huge muscles.
For example, the first girl, Alicia Sacramone, looks nice, I think. She obviously in shape and toned, but still looks feminine. The girl in the second photo, Laura Campos, looks like a man (btw, they both look really young, but Alicia is 21, and Laura is 20).


then again here is another photo of laura looking a lot more feminine

http://www.ritmicados.es/IMG/jpg_huelva_07_0033.jpg

metaoblivia Registered User
#216

Gymnasts get tested quite a bit. All of the winners in big competitions get tested and there are random tests done as well. However, steroids have never really been a problem in gymnastics. Most gymnasts have to maintain their flexibility and agility and steroids would get in the way of that. Also, gymnasts don't usually weight train to avoid building bulk.
There were rumors that the East Germans developed a steroid that would build muscle without compromising agility, but it apparently gave the athletes a feeling of intoxication, which isn't good when you have to walk on a balance beam.
Aside from the cold pill scandal at the 2000 Olympics (a 70lb Romanian gymnast took a cold pill, which had a substance in it that was banned by the IOC - she was stripped of her medal), the only real drugs gymnasts get done in for is diuretics, and that's mainly on the rhythmic side.
This isn't to say there's no cheating in gymnastics. It just usually doesn't involve drugs.

metaoblivia Registered User
#217

jsb said:
then again here is another photo of laura looking a lot more feminine

http://www.ritmicados.es/IMG/jpg_huelva_07_0033.jpg


Different Laura. That Laura competes in rhythmic gymnastics.

metaoblivia Registered User
#218

Jeremiah 16:1 said:
Yikes, now that's a contrast! They obviously compete in different styles or something? Would girl 1 be able to do what girl 2 does?


They both compete in Artistic gymnastics, which is vault, floor, asymmetrical bars and balance beam. Alicia is known for being very good on vault and floor - she's a world medalist on vault and a world champion on floor. She can do beam quite well too. She never does bars though - has horrible technique.

Laura Campos isn't as strong a gymnast as Alicia - she doesn't have the medals Alicia does. But she competes all four events and represents her country (Spain) quite well.

Rob_l Registered User
#219

g'em;55876571
You can be tested in a sport in the Olympics but not tested in regional or national competitions. I compete in a drug-tested federation but at any given competition only 10% of athletes are tested; it's rare to find a sport where all athletes are tested all the time and I'm curious to know how frequently gymnasts get tested.


That is true enough but as long as they test the people at the top(they test the winner of international events?) then there isn't much more you can do, to test all athletes in any field would seem a nightmare task

metaoblivia Registered User
#220

Rob_l said:
That is true enough but as long as they test the people at the top(they test the winner of international events?) then there isn't much more you can do, to test all athletes in any field would seem a nightmare task



Yes, they test the medalists at world championships and world cup events, which account for almost all international meets during the year.

Red Hand Registered User
#221

metaoblivia said:
They both compete in Artistic gymnastics, which is vault, floor, asymmetrical bars and balance beam. Alicia is known for being very good on vault and floor - she's a world medalist on vault and a world champion on floor. She can do beam quite well too. She never does bars though - has horrible technique.


She'd need bigger shoulders for that so, and would end up looking like the second girl?

is_that_so Registered User
#222

guile45 said:
some of u guys might not be man enough for these ones
these are top ranking pros with great muscularity


Em some of those women are just plain ugly, in fact all of them are. The first one reminds of that great Czechoslovak woman Kratichvilova. Not a fan of women with huge muscularity but like toning. Looks also help.

Dudess Closed Account
#223

is_that_so said:
Em some of those women are just plain ugly, in fact all of them are. The first one reminds of that great Czechoslovak woman Kratichvilova.

"Kees me or I klush you..."

I'm having a good lol thinking back to when I was 10/11 and did gymnastics (yes rb_ie, before World War II etc ). God, I was so bad... I had flexibility and rhythm all right so I could do some of the floor exercises, but I had zero balance, co-ordination or strength. I mean, the "monkey bars" exercise - EVERYONE could do the monkey bars... 'cept me.

metaoblivia Registered User
#224

Jeremiah 16:1 said:
She'd need bigger shoulders for that so, and would end up looking like the second girl?


Hm, not exactly. Alicia's problem on bars is that she relies too much on her arms and muscles her way through. The goal is to get into a rhythm with your swing so that you're not muscling the skills. For example, the best bar workers in the world right now are He Kexin, whom I cant find any pictures of, but she's very small and thin, and Nastia Liukin, who's picture is below. Both are thin, almost fragile compared to other gymnasts. But they have great swing on bars.

Dudess Closed Account
#225

She looks so young - 13 at the most.

She's actually 18 but on the national team since 12 or 13. Wow.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!