OldGoat Registered User

ollaetta said:
A colleague who worked near Christchurch back then thinks that the small redbrick building was a weighbridge.

I thought more likely to be pump houses. I'll try and ask someone in Waterworks if they can shed any light.

1961, the year of my birth. I'm studying the pics trying to spot pregnant women.
[Cue 'Yore Ma' jokes]

1 person has thanked this post
Jeanious Registered User

The_Edge said:
Jayus, what year is that?
No sign of the Church

Church was built in 57 seemingly. I wouldnt reckon its much older than that judgin by the cars. Still, great pic actogether.

Cocoon Registered User

Ste.phen said:
Where did you get that one?
Any more similar?
(Am from the area, it's amazing to see it before they build the park, church, Kilmore, most of Lorcan, etc.
What's the house on teh far right of the picture? is it still there?
(To my mind i'm guessing it's in where the apartments are beside the Beaumont Drive Thru)

I was emailed that photo by a friend some time back as I used to live around the area, unfortunately there is no more like it that i'm aware of. If you look into the distance it interesting to see how lorcan was divided into two before the N1 was built. Also no coolock lane or oscar traynor road just fields and santry woods.

Exit Registered User

coyle said:
Here's one: A drive around the general Dublin 5 area in 1984. Shoddy quality, but a good view of Artane before the Rec was built, and I had no idea Peats had a branch in Donnycarney?!!

I got excited for this video, but when I turned it on, I barely recognised anything. I know the first part is coming out of Artane onto the Malahide Road, and I recognise the flats at Kilmore. It took me a while to get Northside SC. I recognised the shape of the building and its surroundings, but I can only ever remember it being the manky blue colour that it is now.

I don't really know Artane or Donneycarney that well though.

Lazarus2.0 Adverts.ie Moderator

Can anyone help me out with the location of these pics ? They're part of a 'set' , for want of a better word , found in my late grandfather's effects . I will post up the full set (13 Civil War , 6 of Collins' funeral) over the next day or so ...

1. I think this is the Gresham Hotel

2. Four Courts ?

20 people have thanked this post
OldGoat Registered User

nessyguin said:
Can anyone help me out with the location of these pics ? They're part of a 'set' , for want of a better word , found in my late grandfather's effects . I will post up the full set (13 Civil War , 6 of Collins' funeral) over the next day or so ...

Hya Nessyguin. Thanks for the pics., they are wonderful. If you wish to you could forward the photograph of the Firemen to Martin Thompson of the Fire Service Trust & Irish Fire Service Preservation Group (http://fire-service-trust.com/Dublin-Fire-Brigade-Museum) at thefireservicetrust@yahoo.ie
I know they will appricate it if it turns out to be one they don't already have a copy of.

3 people have thanked this post
spurious Category Moderator

Lovely photos. I'm sure the Gilbert Library would love copies.
Just to confirm the location of No.1 is indeed the Gresham.

Attachments
gresham_civilwar.jpg
2 people have thanked this post

And a few more ....

15 people have thanked this post
bealbocht Registered User

amazing , amazing, amazing photos.

Better than anything I ever seen from this period.

I'd love to make an entrance into the Gresham like the guy with the axe.

Thanks

sprinklesspanky Registered User

WindSock said:
^^ great pics. Makes me sad to see the Rare oul Dublin toimes. It's fastly losing it's charm.

Some great pics in the 1911 census archives website http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/exhibition/waters/index.html

1895 workhouse

True. I had some American family over for a week back two weeks ago. They were all hyped to see Dublin and wanted to hear nothing about Cork, West Cork or Kerry. When they got here Dublin wasn't near as nice as they'd pictured. I took them to Cork City, and they didn't want to leave.

Gaspode Woof!

sprinklesspanky said:

True. I had some American family over for a week back two weeks ago. They were all hyped to see Dublin and wanted to hear nothing about Cork, West Cork or Kerry. When they got here Dublin wasn't near as nice as they'd pictured. I took them to Cork City, and they didn't want to leave.

Boo, Hiss! Down with that sort of thing!

Wishbone Ash Registered User

nessyguin said:
Can anyone help me out with the location of these pics ?
Fantastic pics nessy!

Here are my guesses:

4. Westland Row?

5. Corn Exchange on Burg Quay?

7. Gilbey's Wine Merchants on Upper O'Connell Street.

8. Henry Street (although it looks very narrow).

9/10. North Earl Street/O'Connell Street junction.

11. Dame Street/College Green?

(I don't know where no. 2 is but the pic is very obviously 'posed' for the camera).

dubtom Registered User

Fantastic pics,thanks for showing nessyguin. For number 6 I'd take a guess at parnell square. Remember seeing a pic somewhere of the view from the east side of the square looking down o'connell,and some of the basements weren't covered in. Seeing as most of the pics are in the general location anyway.
God I'd love to take a step back in time, can you imagine, a stroll around Dublin in the rare oul times.

4.Westland Row ? I never considered this as a possibility but will go digging

5. Corn Exchange . I posted this pic on a different thread in Dublin City forum and Degsy suggested the same . I had ruled it out but that was based on a 1916 picture I came across so maybe I was wrong to discount the possibility . More digging required !

6. Is Mackeys Seeds on Upper O Connell St - these days Gresham Hotel is no.23 so I assume street numbers were reassigned following the reconstruction of Sackville St and the construction of Cathal Brugha St . Given that at the time there was an unbroken terrace between Parnell St and Cathedral St I'd guess that The Block was to the right of Mackeys but am open to correction on this .

7. Gilbey's Wine Merchants on Upper O'Connell Street. It is indeed , but I'm struggling to find it's precise location . 4th buiding to the left of Dublin United Tram offices (white domed building on corner of Cathedral St)

8,9,10,11 . All from the corner of Henry St/Sackville St . 9 and 11 looking north .

2. (and 12) Agree they are posed . But where ??? Have been thinking maybe Jamesons Distillery for 12 but cant find anything online to compare with so it's a stab in the dark .

The ones doing my head in now are 2,3,4,5 and 13 .

Thanks to all for your comments and thanks - I'm as stricken by the pics as the next man !

Michael Collins' Funeral

22 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!