Alicat Registered User
#1,096

vtec said:
nice use of DOF there with the sax pic.,

'Scuse me, learner comin' through What's DOF? I need a photography lingo dictionary!

And yes, I thought it was a cool pic too

Dragan Registered User
#1,097

Alicat said:
'Scuse me, learner comin' through What's DOF? I need a photography lingo dictionary!

And yes, I thought it was a cool pic too

DOF is "dept of focus", the focal point of the pic and determines what will be in sharp detail and what will be out of focus, infront or behind etc.

Alicat Registered User
#1,098

Dragan said:
DOF is "dept of focus", the focal point of the pic and determines what will be in sharp detail and what will be out of focus, infront or behind etc.

You said you were a newbie!

You're not a proper newbie like me!

Roen Registered User
#1,099

It's Depth of Field Depth of Focus is something different altogether

Alicat Registered User
#1,100

Roen said:
It's Depth of Field Depth of Focus is something different altogether

Ok Dragan, I take it back, you can come sit on the learner bench with me again

Alicat Registered User
#1,101

Dragan Registered User
#1,102

Alicat said:
Ok Dragan, I take it back, you can come sit on the learner bench with me again

*grins* I told you i was a learner!

I got this earlier. It has been photoshopped but the contrast was pretty close to this.

16px over on the long side but i just couldn't face looking at PS for much longer.

1 person has thanked this post
Masada Banned
#1,103

I like that one.,

1 person has thanked this post
daycent Registered User
#1,104

Taken in Monument Valley, Utah

joolsveer Registered User
#1,105

More from the Iveagh Gardens yesterday.

from Wikipedia
Depth of focus vs depth of field

While the phrase depth of focus was historically used, and is sometimes still used, to mean depth of field, in modern times it is more often reserved for the image-side depth. Depth of field is a measurement of depth of acceptable sharpness in the object space, or subject space.

Depth of focus, however, is a measurement of how much distance exists behind the lens wherein the film plane will remain sharply in focus. It can be viewed as the flip side of depth of field, occurring on the opposite side of the lens.

Where depth of field often can be measured in macroscopic units such as meters and feet, depth of focus is typically measured in microscopic units such as fractions of a millimeter or thousandths of an inch.

The same factors that determine depth of field also determine depth of focus, but these factors can have different effects than they have in depth of field. Both depth of field and depth of focus increase with smaller apertures. For distant subjects (beyond macro range), depth of focus is relatively insensitive to focal length and subject distance, for a fixed f-number. In the macro region, depth of focus increases with longer focal length or closer subject distance, while depth of field decreases.

2 people have thanked this post
digitally-yours Registered User
#1,106

Anouilh Registered User
#1,107

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anouilh/2511274021/

The trees in the National Botanic Gardens, Glasnevin, are very mature and make excellent subjects.

GhostInTheRuins Registered User
#1,108

Last night at about 2:30.

5 people have thanked this post
Burnt Registered User
#1,109

Real nice Ghost in the ruins, what was the esposure time on these?

GhostInTheRuins Registered User
#1,110

Thanks Burnt, it was 30sec F3.5 ISO200.

I was really surprised how they turned out because I just pointed the camera out the window on a wonky tripod. Ah, the joys of insomnia

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!