• Use conventional snap traps and kill them! (41.03%)
  • Use humane live catch traps and let them go again! (15.38%)
  • Get the professionals in and poison them. ie "Rent o Kill". (10.26%)
  • Get a cat! (33.33%)
#1

My elderly folks house has a serious mouse infestation. Last year we had pest control out. They placed poisoned bait around the house. It has made little or no difference. They are back again this year in numbers. I tried several conventional and humane traps around the kitchen, they have got wise to these. It was the last straw when they got into a box of chocolates and devoured the entire contents from the inside out leaving an empty wrapped box!. Is there any other effective way of getting rid of these besides getting a cat, the old man hates cats but might just have toi put up with one.

Lauragoesmad Registered User
#2

Run_to_da_hills said:
My elderly folks house has a serious mouse infestation. Last year we had pest control out. They placed poisoned bait around the house. It has made little or no difference. They are back again this year in numbers. I tried several conventional and humane traps around the kitchen, they have got wise to these. It was the last straw when they got into a box of chocolates and devoured the entire contents from the inside out leaving an empty wrapped box!. Is there any other effective way of getting rid of these besides getting a cat, the old man hates cats but might just have toi put up with one.


Hi,
My brothers old house used to always get infestations of mice especially this time of year. The only thing that worked to get rid of them was a plug that emits a sound that drives mice insane. They won't come near the house after turning it on. It worked really well and doesn't even use that much electricity. Hope that helps.

#3

Lauragoesmad said:
Hi,
My brothers old house used to always get infestations of mice especially this time of year. The only thing that worked to get rid of them was a plug that emits a sound that drives mice insane. They won't come near the house after turning it on. It worked really well and doesn't even use that much electricity. Hope that helps.
We had two of them!

Lauragoesmad Registered User
#4

You can have a lend of my cat, She's a beast at catching mice!!
Please don't use poison though cause its the most disgusting way for something to die.
I'll ask my bro what the make of the plug he had was and I'll pm you with it. It worked really well for them.

The Artist Banned
#5

Lauragoesmad said:
Hi,
My brothers old house used to always get infestations of mice especially this time of year. The only thing that worked to get rid of them was a plug that emits a sound that drives mice insane. They won't come near the house after turning it on. It worked really well and doesn't even use that much electricity. Hope that helps.

i have them too ive had no problem with mice,plug it out every month and put on again as the sound differs as mice can get cute with the sounds,you can burrow my black panther!lol

#6

Does anyone you know have ferrets?? They really are BRILLIANT for getting rid of mice.

Poison is not nice but I have had to resort to it at times - I have had rats get into my aviaries & last year they killed my female ring neck & ate all her eggs & killed 2 squirrels we had. We tend to pop poison into holes they make & then seal them in - expanding foam works really well.

If they mice continue you have to find out how they are getting in. get food storage boxes for all cereals & packet foods - you do not want to get any nasty zoonotic diseases from mice!

#7

Bond-007 said:
Does anyone you know have ferrets?? They really are BRILLIANT for getting rid of mice.

Poison is not nice but I have had to resort to it at times - I have had rats get into my aviaries & last year they killed my female ring neck & ate all her eggs & killed 2 squirrels we had. We tend to pop poison into holes they make & then seal them in - expanding foam works really well.

If they mice continue you have to find out how they are getting in. get food storage boxes for all cereals & packet foods - you do not want to get any nasty zoonotic diseases from mice!

Ferrets sounds like a good idea, can they be bought in town? much? could they be let go in the wild after the job is done? I believe they can give a nasty bite! Are these easy to catch if I let them loose around the house?

#8

If you know of anyone who has pet ferrets you can borrow those - tame ferrets are grand & do not bite!

Nope you should not let them go in the wild - they are pets.

#9

Bond-007 said:
If you know of anyone who has pet ferrets you can borrow those - tame ferrets are grand & do not bite!

Nope you should not let them go in the wild - they are pets.
Cheers.

tallus Caveat Emptor
#10

Get a cat. Even borrow a cat.
I had mice trouble in my place around 10 years back, then I got a cat. End of mouse problem. Even if the man of the house doesn't like cats I'm sure they are preferable to having mice around.

1 person has thanked this post
Curvy Vixen Registered User
#11

Whatever method you end up using (and I'm a poison fan, sorry!) you need to ensure that they can't get back in afterwards.

We had little field mice last year, all very cute but I didn't plant on sharing my home with them! I went straight for the Rentakill man and we got rid of them but they also went around the outside of the house and pointed out the nooks and crannies they could get in through and we sealed them all up with various means. And remember, because they have no skeleton to speak of, if you can get a biro in a hole, you can get a mouse in a hole!!

I know it's no consolation but be glad it's not rats. Friends had those for a while and it was horrific! And when they sealed up the holes with polyfilla or whatever, the rats just ate their way through

Makikomi Moderator
#12

I used to use mouse traps, the one's which snap over and break their little necks - quick death.

But since I got my first cat a few year's ago I haven't have one mouse.

togster Registered User
#13

Get a cat or a ferrit

peasant Moderator
#14

Personally I would stay away from poison.

Dying mice have a habit of seeking out very remote, dark corners to do their last breath in.

The smell of one (or several) de-composing mice from under your floorboards or inbetween walls is really, really bad and lasts for weeks !

The Artist Banned
#15

togster said:
Get a cat or a ferrit

you mean ferret not ( ferrit )

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!