• For (57.48%)
  • Against (31.5%)
  • Only if its an Atari Jaguar being tested upon (11.02%)
TPD Registered User

In general, are you for or against animal testing? I'm in the middle of some fairly heated debates about this at the minute.

From where I'm standing, millions upon millions of people have been saved by the medical breakthroughs made possible by animal testing, so its worth experimenting upon and then killing however many rats/monkeys.

What's your view? Do you weigh an animals life above a humans?

Let the debate commence.

Basq Registered User

Heh.. the thread title reminds me of a Stephen Fry quote:

"I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers"

Stephen Fry is a legend... a man who has gotten wiser and funnier as he's gotten older. Just watch QI.

Have no real opinion on the actual topic.. but probably cos i'm not too knowledgable on it. I could say i'm against it just for the sake of it but i truly don't know if the pros outweight the cons.

TPD Registered User

I'd say one pro would be all the people that are alive today because they were either saved by antibiotics, or their parents were.

MayMay Registered User

Whatever about testing for medical reasons, what about testing for cosmetics? Now that's wrong!

Oriel Banned

basquille said:
Heh.. the thread title reminds me of a Stephen Fry quote:

"I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers"

I was going to post that exact quote. I couldn't agree more about him.

humbert Registered User

MayMay said:
Whatever about testing for medical reasons, what about testing for cosmetics? Now that's wrong!

I'd agree with that. Nobody wants to see a monkey all dolled up with makeup.

AlmightyCushion Moderator

humbert said:
Nobody wants to see a monkey all dolled up with makeup.

Speak for yourself.

junkyard Registered User

I'm against it, as far as I'm concerned we're all in the same boat and shouldn't subject any animal to suffering. There are plenty humans out there that, if you paid them enough, you could do all the testing you'll ever need.

Sonnenblumen Registered User

junkyard said:
I'm against it, as far as I'm concerned we're all in the same boat and shouldn't subject any animal to suffering. There are plenty humans out there that, if you paid them enough, you could do all the testing you'll ever need.

Yeah, lets start with the ones with the small brains.

AlmightyCushion Moderator

Sonnenblumen said:
Yeah, lets start with the ones with the small brains.

Animals have small brains, lets start with them.

Despite advances in other types of testing it's still essential for medical tests.

Non-essential for cosmetics especially eye tests and LD50 tests.

TPD Registered User

I said animal testing in general, you have to weigh the cosmetic tests against the medical tests.

Personally I'm against cosmetic testing, but if it's all or nothing then I'm voting for all.

Nala Registered User

For animal medicines: yes, but only if the animal has a decent standard of life.

For cosmetics: absolutely not.

leninbenjamin Awaiting Email Confirmation

i'm not against as long as there are certain conditions attached. sure don't other species "toy" with other animals in their learning how to hunt activities. i just think we should treat them better while they are alive, don't keep a monkey in a 3x3x3feet enclosure all it's life.

Edit: on second thought, my original post could be badly misconstrued.

Creature Registered User

Pharmaceutical - Yes it's a necessary evil.

Cosmetics - Hell no.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!