Johnny Storm Registered User

Apparently a "radio" that uses your wireless internet connection to play internet radio channels. €100.

http://www.aldi.ie/special_buys/product_332.html

I've never heard of this species of yoke before. It seems pretty cool to me but I'm sure cooler and wiser heads will prevail. Your thoughts appreciated.

Buy it and if it doesn't work or do what you want bring it back
within a month for a refund. Usually you have 30 days with Aldi
to return for a refund without any hassle or quibbles.

ro1798 Registered User

i have one, the wireless radio thing.. not this model but they are a great idea... you get all channels that broadcast on the internet.... works great and is wireless or cable connected

Tav Registered User

Wouldn't be just cheaper to use winamp/itunes??

FrankGrimes Registered User

The advantage of this type of device is that you can listen to the Internet radio while your computer is switched off.

I have a similar one called a Roku/Soundbridge M1000 (I think) and it's class - means I can just walk into the kitchen in the morning and switch on Internet radio. Add in MP3 playback when the PC is on (or if I add a NAS drive I could listen to MP3s while PC is off), and its not hard to see the benefits.

I use a wired connection to my LAN for mine cos I just don't find wireless to be reliable enough, and would think about adding one of these Tevion ones if I could confirm it also had a wired connection.

taung Registered User

I believe that these radios have software provided by Reciva. Out of curiousity (and more than a bit off-thread), here is a list of the most popular internet radio broadcasts from Ireland, according to Reciva;

click here

Interesting to see that FM104 is bringing up the rear and Midwest/Highland are up near the top......

DonJose Registered User

I'm happy with my FM Transmitter, costs a lot less than the gadge above, amazon uk have a good selection

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/202-2379766-0070204?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=FM+Transmitter&Go.x=13&Go.y=12

dal Registered User

DonJose
I'm happy with my FM Transmitter, costs a lot less than the gadge above, amazon uk have a good selection

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/202-2379766-0070204?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=FM+Transmitter&Go.x=13&Go.y=12

It costs a lot less because it does something completely different.

Does anyone who has one know how long it takes to actually "boot up" (ie from when you switch it on to when the first station starts to play).

Zilog Registered User

I see PC World/Currys/Dixons in the UK offer a similar internet radio, the Logik IR100, sans the FM, for about £50 sterling, would work out about €80 if rip-off Ireland doesn't apply.
Has anyone noticed if the Irish stores have them on-offer in Ireland before I brave the M50? Looked at them last year, they were about €150.

quigo Registered User

I have one one of these hooked to the tv

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/tunecenter/

Not quite the same tech but does a similar job, the stations are ready after about 10sec of syncing. This probably isn't helped by being attached to the router by a 10m cable.

Like the look of the Roku SoundBridge more than the aldi one.

1 person has thanked this post
GerardKeating Registered User

Zilog
I see PC World/Currys/Dixons in the UK offer a similar internet radio, the Logik IR100, sans the FM, for about £50 sterling, would work out about €80 if rip-off Ireland doesn't apply.
Has anyone noticed if the Irish stores have them on-offer in Ireland before I brave the M50? Looked at them last year, they were about €150.

they were €110ish a few weeks ago, and dog slow changing station.

Vmaxer Registered User

GerardKeating
they were €110ish a few weeks ago, and dog slow changing station.

I just rang Currys in Swords and the Ir100 is listed there at €129, rip off Ireland alright..

Vmaxer Registered User

Though a trip up to Newry will get You the Ir100 for £49 and the have them in stock..

Johnny Storm Registered User

FWIW the Logik IR100 seems to be mono, Aldi one is stereo.

Zilog Registered User

Dubsmax
Though a trip up to Newry will get You the Ir100 for £49 and the have them in stock..

Be a good opportunity to test that new bit of motorway alright, thanks!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!