Sponge Bob Banned

This guy is a bit picky ..meaning he finds fault with pretty much everything.

Maybe someone should send him a pic of that tree mount dish in Wexford

http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/roguesgalleryview.html

heres a sample of true dodgyness

Rippy Registered User

Bill Wright is a legend. Yes he is picky, but he is also very good which gives him a right to be. I see plenty worse too. Shall we start our own Rogues Gallery ?
Here's one to kick it off.
'The patented 'Leeside' UHF/DVB-S antenna.

watty Registered User

Oddly, in that position the TV aerial may not affect the sat signal much due to dish ofset. The jammed in screwdriver (red handle) to adjust elevation/stop dish rocking is amusing.

P.S. I Think Wright is right and not too picky.

1 person has thanked this post
byte Registered User

Rippy
Bill Wright is a legend. Yes he is picky, but he is also very good which gives him a right to be. I see plenty worse too. Shall we start our own Rogues Gallery ?
Here's one to kick it off.
'The patented 'Leeside' UHF/DVB-S antenna.

LOL, that is dire!

I notice also, apart from the UHF aerial addition, the dish is making use of what seems to be a Thomson Sky Minidish LNB, and a screwdriver is used in favour of extra bolts to stop the bracket from moving!

lucernarian Registered User

That's in a league of its own. The red tape used for the LNB is a real touch of cheapness. it looks like only 1 or 2 of four bolts were used to fasten the bracket to the wall. There's nothing particularly bad in the Drogheda area, beyond using the wrong type aerial for Irish channel reception. But that's because higher standards are needed for getting reception from Kilkeel or Divis. I'll see what I can find.

Rippy Registered User

Could it be any worse? Well yes actually. Notice the lack of any self- amalgamating (or even red insulating) tape around the f connector.
The cheapie C/D contract aerial is correct for Spur Hill, even having correct polarity (horizontal). Unfortunatly Spur Hill is to the SW and the aerial is pointing South with the house shielding the aerial.
I sent this in to Bill Wright recently and he did not get back to me. Maybe he thinks it is a crazy Irish wind-up and not a genuine install! I took this last year, I must swing by there and see if it is still there.

Ulsterman 1690 Registered User

A common one with VHF aerials is taking the advice about keeping the downlead short too literally and having the cable come diagonally from the dipole to the bottom of the mast in a straight line

on a windy day the insulation on the cable splits and rain gets in

Rippy Registered User

Rippy

The cheapie C/ D contract aerial is correct for Spur Hill, even having correct polarity (horizontal). Unfortunatly Spur Hill is to the SW and the aerial is pointing South with the house shielding the aerial.

Actually looking at it again, as the dish is presumably pointed SE and the aerial is at about 90deg. to the dish, he may just have LOS to Spur Hill. Still very crap though.

Sponge Bob Banned

One could make an ICDG wiki page out of some of these beautys I suppose and ask Robin to link it

Rippy Registered User

Good idea Spoungey, could be a good educational resource as well as a bloody good laugh!
I now have the camera in the van ready to record dodginess.
In the meantime have a look at these (A mate of Bill Wright's apparently)
www.aerialsandtv.com/cowboyslocker.html
My favourite is the last one...A yard closer the transmitter... ROFL

Sponge Bob Banned

Well if you simply post them with a county location and your "comment" I will ask watty if I can prepare the gallery for the wiki .

That tree mount dish in Wexford is a must but crap aerial installs and mmds installs are also most welcome

kmb Registered User

Hi Rippy,any idea when southcoast is pulling the plug on us in carrigaline?
Also i want to put the rte aerial in the attic and the southcoast one,will this work do you know?

regards,

Kieran

Ulsterman 1690 Registered User

It depends.

With UHF the signal in your attic will only be a fraction of what youll get outside. plus some types of roof tile as well as metal objects in your attic (pipes and water tanks) can mess up the signal

Although If youre blessed with particularly strong Southcoast and RTE signals you might get away with it anyway.

In most cases though youre better off with an outside aerial

kmb Registered User

Hi,just fed up of crappy picture tbh as i see now that both the aerial weather caps are missing from the aerials.
And the water has probably shorted out contacts and ran inside the cable.
Also was using a televes booster and the 5 amp fuse keeps blowing.

is there a way to get replacement weather caps for the goldstar?? i think it is and the rte aerial?

Maybe i should get rippy to give me quote re.sorting out above been a carrigaline man also.

regds

kieran

Rippy Registered User

kmb
Hi Rippy,any idea when southcoast is pulling the plug on us in carrigaline?
Also i want to put the rte aerial in the attic and the southcoast one,will this work do you know?

regards,

Kieran

As Ulsterman said, reception inside the attic can vary enormously.
You may or may not get away with it. The only way to know is to give it a go.
Also accurate alignment is impossible without a signal meter. If you have lost your weather caps then yes, you will likely have water in your cables and diplexer. Masthead amp may still be OK. Never heard of a goldstar aerial.
I have been told that Analogue South Coast will continue until 'sometime next year'. How about getting your RTE aerial sorted and FTA satellite?

Ian

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!