ianrush Registered User

Anyone watch this last night? Looked like RTE spent about 100 quid on it. In all honesty, the script didn't deserve anymore. Cooper and Stembridge are talented guys but this just felt lazy and going through the motions.

Rjd2 Registered User

I gave up on Irish comedy yonks ago and anything that makes Dead Ringers look good well less said the better

scargill Registered User

I was looking forward to it and wanted it to be funny - but it was dire !

Maybe it was just me - but I was struggling at times to figure out which polititician he was supposed to be. Luckily Cooper managed to slip in the names every now and then to help me!

flanzer Registered User

Pure shíte alright.... It was like watching paint dry. They were on the Late Late on Friday saying how RTE 'embraced' the idea... No wonder they did...it was pure and utter shíte. Another waste of a TV licence fee.

If it was Apres Match, with the 2 other guys, I think it might have worked. I think Cooper looks like he's trying to make a name for himself solo, but it completely backfired.

Madge Registered User

Wasn't hectic. I don't think he can do Pat Kenny at all, it doesn't sound a bit like him. His best impressions are George Hook and Marian Finucane

sudzs Registered User

I loved Marianne!!!

But disappointed overall. Very cheap looking.

Wonder if they'll do Gerry Ryan or Derek Mooney any time soon?

Mikosyko Registered User

Who was that "Tom" supposed to be?

mickd Registered User

The idea that impersonating someone whose nickname is Plank could be remotely funny is beyond comprehension, not to mention Enda Kenny or Michael McDowell. I saw Cooper and Stembridge on the Late Late, the air was thick with sycophantic smugness and as I expected the show was absolute rubbish.

Marshy Registered User

Mikosyko
Who was that "Tom" supposed to be?

An obsequious RTE person. Thought that was quite clear.

You peoples expectations are too high. Its only meant to be a satire and the impressions are obviously gonna be exaggerated.

Yes the plot was a bit a ropey at times but I certainly found most of it funny. Bear with it anyway, I hear it'll take a few weeks to get used to.

But seriously, I wonder about some of the people on this thread. Do you have nothing better to do than rant?

mickd Registered User

Exactly I do wonder about some people on this thread especially those who think An Evening Prayer is essential viewing

ianrush Registered User

Marshy
An obsequious RTE person. Thought that was quite clear.

You peoples expectations are too high. Its only meant to be a satire and the impressions are obviously gonna be exaggerated.

Yes the plot was a bit a ropey at times but I certainly found most of it funny. Bear with it anyway, I hear it'll take a few weeks to get used to.

But seriously, I wonder about some of the people on this thread. Do you have nothing better to do than rant?

Marshy, can you tell us what expectations we should have then? I don't think it's too much to ask that a comedy is funny. The majority of the views expressed here suggest that it failed to manage that. Fair enough, you thought most of it was funny, but don't dismiss other people's opinions as "rants" because they think otherwise. Have you nothing better to be doing?

Marshy Registered User

ianrush
Marshy, can you tell us what expectations we should have then? I don't think it's too much to ask that a comedy is funny. The majority of the views expressed here suggest that it failed to manage that. Fair enough, you thought most of it was funny, but don't dismiss other people's opinions as "rants" because they think otherwise. Have you nothing better to be doing?

Well judging by whats been said people dont know what you want. It seems that you're just looking for something to complain and moan about. That just gets a bit tiresome after a while.

I accept that you may have been unimpressed by the programme but I find it slightly tedious when theres a thread like this where everyone just moans and groans.

Milktrolley Registered User

It was really good I thought. And that was the general impression I got from people on Monday as well. Definitely worth adding to the personal planner...

Sandwich Registered User

It was rubbish.

No surprise that RTE 'embraced' it as mentioned above - it was completely tame and a puff for RTE 'personalities' - of course they'd like it.

Not a single funny line it in it - a challenge for anyone out to quote something they laughed at?

Hadnt seen him do it before but thought the Kevin Myers mimic was quite good tho.

Marshy Registered User

Well the truth is that its not really supposed to be a laugh your head off comedy. Its a satirical look at our politicians and journalists. Though I can understand if its subtlety doesnt register with some people. You'd want to be pretty au fait with politics and the media to appreciate it.

Surely anyone would find the McDowell scene with the 'thug' urinating while theres an armed robbery going on funny. Maybe its too much to ask for people to get the humour.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!