• Yes (13.19%)
  • Am not religious but I don't mind giving up drink for 1 day (22.56%)
  • No (64.24%)

Does anyone else think that it's stupid that we can't drink on good Friday? I mean if people think it's wrong to drink on that day and they'll go to hell if they do then that's fine. But why should everyone else have to give it up too??
I know it's only one day and I could easily not drink for that day, but it's the principle of the matter! Not everyone is a christian!
Also, you're not supposed to eat meat on good Friday, but you can still do it if you want! Whereas it's against the law to serve alcohol, where's the sence in that??

brianthebard Registered User

Its not a specifically Catholic law, it goes back to the evangelist movement in England in the 18th and 19th century, where evangelist christians persistantly campaigned for tighter licensing laws, keeping Sunday holy, etc. This is no different. [/history nerd]

Yeah you're right, I meant to put christian, not catholic

i think it ludicrous that the pubs are closed on good friday, partly because im not a catholic and partly because this is 2007, but its only one day and if there is a country that could do with a day off the pub its us, but then that wont stop drinking, have you ever walked into an off licence on the evening of the thursday before, you would think there was a permanent prohibition coming into effect.

MikeHoncho Registered User

i actually think its great. I had one of the best days of they year last good Friday. Stocked up the day before then drove down to Kerry with a group of mates and sat around having a great laugh all day. No pressure to do anything except just enjoy what we were doing. It was brilliant.

Exactly! People are going to drink anyway! Only religious people are going to give it up. It's the same with xmas day. There's no pubs open but people still stack up beforehand!

xzanti Moderator

MikeHoncho
i actually think its great. I had one of the best days of they year last good Friday. Stocked up the day before then drove down to Kerry with a group of mates and sat around having a great laugh all day. No pressure to do anything except just enjoy what we were doing. It was brilliant.

Stocked up on alcohol?

Do the clubs open back up at midnight?

I voted yes, purely because the prohibition has the effect of making it one of the booziest days of the year. (Probably only coming behind St. Patrick's and New Year's.) I've started stocking up already in anticipation.

1 person has thanked this post
humanji Registered User

xzanti
Stocked up on alcohol?

Do the clubs open back up at midnight?

It depends on the place. Some do and come don't.

I kind of think that the main reason people drink on Good Friday is because they're told they can't. If they changed the law and said that everyone must drink on Good Friday, you'd probably get everyone not drinking out of spite.

Zebra3 Registered User

Option 2 is wrong as you don't have to give up drinking for the day just cos the pubs are closed.

Tbh, I'd say the pubowners really hate GF as it encourages people to drink at home and not go to their rip-off, understaffed pubs.

2 people have thanked this post
event Registered User

ah boo hoo

some people are hilarious, wont have gone out for the past few weeks but as soon as they cant drink on friday, will go mad for drink

people stocking up and buying loads of drink this week?
for what, do you normally do that on every other friday?

LFCFan Moderator

whatever about Alchohol, I always make sure to have a nice juicy steak on Good Friday

Jigsaw Registered User

Up here in Belfast the pubs start serving booze again at 5.00pm, which isn't so bad. I will finish work half day, go home, have a few tins maybe, then head out at 5.00pm. They close again at Midnight though. I too agree, if you are religious then simply don't drink but there is no reason for everyone to have to be inconvenienced. It is not that I am a raging alcoholic, but more out of principle.

Mrs_Doyle Registered User

WARNING: The following post displays large quantities of ignorance and stupidity.

Up until last year I had never realised that we weren't supposed to drink on Good Friday.

I knew that pubs, shops and supermarkets couldn't serve alcohol, but never made the connection between that, and the fact that it meant we weren't supposed to consume the product either.

Like the way pubs close on Christmas day, but we all drink anyhow, or the way gambling was banned on a Sunday, but people did it anyway.

I never twigged that it being banned from sale also meant it was banned (by the Church) from consumption.

(P.S I am educated to a degree level, am in my 20's and I operate in the 'real' world on a regular basis!)

LFCFan Moderator

Mrs_Doyle
it was banned (by the Church) from consumption.

Which for those who are not devout Christians means SFA.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!