RebeccaA Registered User

I'd like to invite you to visit my new blog at www.sallygardens.typepad.com where you can sign up to an introduction to felting course, the first of which is on 21st April. The courses are kept small, as its set around my farmhouse table, maximum of four (3 places left as yet). I'm in Co Leitrim.

There are other courses listed too which cover aspects of sustainable living such as how to rear rare breed piglets for the freezer, introduction to keeping goats for meat, milk (& fibre!), alternative energy for your home, etc.

All the best, Rebecca

snorlax Registered User

been to a good course in either art or crafts? setting up a course? for all course related post please post in this thread only.

name of course/ contact or website address/ what they do / and why you would recommend them. any posts out side of this sticky advertsing such courses will be deleted so please use this sticky as a resources.

the one i would recommend (seen as someone resurrected the thread below this)

is http://dublindays.myhosting247.com/index.html and http://trinityartsworkshop.blogspot.com/

mainly made up of non-students, classes are small, teacher is good and all materials inlcuded. not too dear either (10eur for non-students). pm me or check website for more details. they also do pottery and life drawing 4/5days a week

Materials are supplied for all classes. Classes are run an a come as you
please basis apart from those marked with an asterix- these are run as a
series of weeks which must be taken together.

cathald Registered User

thanks for sharing

Yv Registered User

For anyone considering a PLC course to get a portfolio together or just take a year out to do art after the Leaving Cert, the Art Portfolio Preparation course in Galway Technical Institute is excellent. The tutors are talented, interested, open-minded and really nice; you'll be amazed at the quality of work they'll have coaxed out of you by the end of the year. Apply early, though - it's pretty popular.

http://www.gti.ie/courses/coursedetails.asp?cc=AAXXX

Womble25 Registered User

I would defo recommend the craft courses at the National Print Museum in Dublin. They have an adult workshop most weekends...covering all sorts of crafts like Batik, Handmadepapermaking, Drypoint printmaking, Japanese Woodblock printing Bookbinding, Calligraphy, Letterpress printing etc. The tutors are great and very patient!!! So its great for arty types and newbies!

They also run kiddies workshops and a summer camp too for the mini-artists out there!!

Their website is awful and not updated so I'd give them a buzz 01 6603770!

Hope that helps someone!

1 person has thanked this post
yvontune@iolfre Registered User

Kilcoole Craft Club
Is held on the last Wednesday of every month.
In Lee’s Pub Main Street, Kilcoole, Co Wicklow at 7.30 to 10.30pm
New members are always welcome
If you are interested in learning how to make your own hand made greeting cards, come along and join in our demonstration and make a card yourself on the night, and also lots of other crafts. enjoy a tea/coffee and make new friends interested in paper crafts.
If you would like more information you can log on to
http://www.cardartoriginals.com

many thanks Yvonne

Beads and bling do LOADS of different evening and afternoon classes, weekdays and weekends, on bedford row, Temple Bar. available to suit all levels of ability. great coming up to Christmas as gifts. Go to http://www.beadsandbling.com/store/ or ring 01 6337814 for more info! you can buy classes onling aswell as a large range of Beads, stringing, ribbon, tools and craft supplies!

karen harper Registered User

Wire-work Jewellery classes. Working in silver and gemstones there are 4 morning classes or one day workshops.
Each course you will make at least 8 pieces of jewellery to take home, choosing stones you want to work with, so the jewellery suits your taste perfectly.

After the course you will have the skill to make all your own jewellery and repair broken things from before.

All materials supplied and refreshments included. all courses 135 euro

A great way to start a new venture as this will give you the skills to make shop-worthy jewellery and all the contacts to start a new business.
Once this course is complete you can move to gold, pearls etc. Endless possibilities!
Next 4 morning course starts Tuesday 6th Nov 9.30am - 12pm
Johnstown Pastrol Centre, Killiney, Co Dublin

Full day course 8th December - Dalkey, co dublin 10am - 5pm

Contact Karen Harper 086 888 5321 or harperkaren@eircom.net

Other venues and dates can be arranged.

CHeck out www.irishcraftupdate.com/blog to see jewellery that can be made during course.
Thanks

ztoical Registered User

I would like to learn how to sew both hand and machine - any one know of any good classes? Currently in kilkenny but don't mind driving to dublin if its worth it

karen harper Registered User

If you look up www.craftcafe.com

The link to sewing is http://www.craftcafe.ie/workshops2.htm

Womble25 Registered User

Does anyone know of a good Orgami course/tutor in Dublin?
Thanks

RebeccaA Registered User

Happy New Year
I'd like to give an updated list of felting course dates for 2008 at our smallholding in Co Leitrim.

Introduction to Felt for Beginngers for 2008

Sunday 3rd February, 10am - 12.30pm FULLY BOOKED
Saturday 1st March, 10am - 12.30 pm places available
Tuesday 8th April 10am - 12.30pm places available
Wednesday 7th May 10am - 12.30pm places available
Saturday 7th June 10am - 12.30pm places available

To read about the fun we had on 21st April 2007 workshop visit http://irishcraftworker.typepad.com/an_irish_craftworkers_goo/2007/04/workshop_fun.html

Email me for a course content sheet which will enable you to decide if the course is what you're after (SNIP - No emails please!!). I hope to re-run this course at least monthly throughout the year. If you are interested but can't attend the dates above, please email to register your interest and I will arrange more dates to meet demand.

To book <<SNIP - Send PM>>
Cost €46, includes tea/coffee & biscuits and materials
Times : 10am till 12.30pm
Max. number of participants - four
www.sallygardens.typepad.com

netanyahu Registered User

Thomastown, Co. Kilkenny

batik, sculpture, textiles, painting, ceramics/pottery , jewlery

Just wondering if anyone knows more than the site - (www.grennanmill.net) It doesn't provide a lot of information, other than the basics and would love to know what people have heard about it or if anyone has been! Thanks!

Tiriel Moderator

netanyahu said:
Thomastown, Co. Kilkenny

Just wondering if anyone knows more than the site - (www.grennanmill.net) It doesn't provide a lot of information, other than the basics and would love to know what people have heard about it or if anyone has been! Thanks!

H- a bit late really but I was at the Mill way back in 1998 and it is a great place - would highly recommend it.

Funnybones Registered User

netanyahu said:
Thomastown, Co. Kilkenny

My dad showed me this.(He's funnybones) I'm at Grennan Mills at the moment. It's best to call the mill, Alex is the course director and she'll talk to you about the little details of the course. I can tell you it's a great college. Very small classes and very personal, you get to know the teachers like you would the students. As well as metalwork, printing and the other core subjects, we get lots of workshops come in and most take advantage of the night classes there too. The classes are very mixed. The school only really takes around around four post secondary school students in the 17 odd people in the year. Experience in the subjects is not really that big a deal, having an interest is more important.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!