So I used Quorn mince for the first time last night, to make a chilli. I did it the usual way with spices and beans and a dash of red wine, only substituting beef for Quorn mince.

Well. It was one of the most disgusting things I have ever tasted. It was completely unappetising, and the two unfortunate people that I served it to were unable to finish it either.

I doubt I did anything very wrong as I followed the instructions on the packet - and I let it simmer for a good hour or more. It was dry, tasteless and had a nauseating texture.

Do vegetarians enjoy Quorn mince? Am I the only one who feels this way? I have never heard a bad report on it.

From now on I will revert to my vegetarian meals being made from VEGETABLES, not slop.

Blub2k4 Registered User

I've used it a few times, just like I'd use mince, had no problems with it. It was alright, not fantastic. Did you fry it in oil with sweated onions, garlic and chili before adding whatever else you added?

I never really use it i use Vegemince but i've never had a problem with either, nor have any non-veggies i know who've tasted it. Was it out of date??!

But, yeah if you want to make a chilli and don't like vegetarian mince use mixed beans

bobbi Registered User

its like eating cardboard sometimes! But generally it can be quite nice as a spagetti bolenase(can't spell!) proberly my least favourite quorn product

Kix Who's your Paddy?

I use it for chilli and bolognese sause. I fine it grand and my non-vegetarian girlfriend loves my bolognese.

The quorn contributes little to the flavour of the dish; it just provides protein and texture really. You may find you have to re-balance the other flavourings especially if you're using a recipe which used to contain meat. For example, I put a vegetable stock cube in my bolognese which I would not have bothered with when I was still cooking with meat - it rounds and balances the flavours.

Take a look at The Post Punk Kitchen, I've used her recipe for chilli and substituted quorn mince in place of the tempeh she uses (it's just easier). I find this works well.

Finally, I used to "brown" my quorn as I used to fry-off mince. I don't any more, I think it's unnecessary and at worst, can realy dry out the Quorn. Quorn is one product which should never be overcooked, it gets unpleasant.

Kix

The quorn contributes little to the flavour of the dish; it just provides protein and texture really.

Exactly, meat is just a filler for dishes like bolognese, chilli, curries etc. Quorn/TVP/Tempeh etc just add texture. I find i prefer dishes like this without the meat especially curry.

Tar.Aldarion /flails limbs

I think it is lovely. Think it won their product of the year too. It depends on how you cook it. If not cooked well I think it tastes pretty crappy.

Blub2k4, I did just as you said.

Tar.Aldarion, how would one cook it well?

And it won a "best slimmer food" aware or some such...no accounting for taste there.

Tar.Aldarion /flails limbs

I don't know! Mother is teh one that cooks it well.

I fried it last night, constantly stirring it and just had it with my dinner. Loved it, then again, I add brown sauce to everything to make it taste good.

ClareBear Registered User

I agree, I think it's disgusting too.

I love Quorn sausages though, yum.

MagnumForce Registered User

I use qourn mince all the time for different things, pasta sauces, chilli, etc and i think its great, a fantastic little invention. It's not meant to flavor it or anything, just to add texture as people have said, so you just need to adjust your recipe probably.

On another qourn related note...how come in Ireland we get an extremely limited selection of quorn products? if you look on the qourn site, there is a huge amount of things on offer, but over here we get **** all! I especially want to try the "lunch meats" variety, give me something else to put in sandwiches like!

mateo Registered User

MagnumForce

On another qourn related note...how come in Ireland we get an extremely limited selection of quorn products? if you look on the qourn site, there is a huge amount of things on offer, but over here we get **** all! I especially want to try the "lunch meats" variety, give me something else to put in sandwiches like!

Urgh I know!! That annoys me so much lol

MagnumForce

Every time I go to a tesco in England I feel like i'm in heaven. They have massive veggie sections with all the quorn stuff!

MagnumForce Registered User

One day i was on the verge of goin up to Belfast to make a few Quorn purchases! But i didn't. They even had at one stage (not sure if they still do) Quorn burgers in McDonalds in the UK, whereas here we don't even have a veggie burger in McDonalds anymore!!! how ridiculous is that! I emailed em and they basically said sorry we dont care, bastards!

I don't really like the chain fast food places but burger king do a half decent veggie burger and bean burger, they also do a fish burger as a 'vegetarian' option

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!