apple pie Registered User
#136

I had 3 wisdom teeth out last Tuesday (now sunday evening). Had surgery under GA.

Two on top, one on the bottom. I swelled up like a balloon and developed excruciatingly painful ulcers at the back of my mouth/opening to my throat a couple of days later. The ulcers are apparently common among those who are succeptible to mouth ulcers and are caused by the breathing tube or something during surgery rubbing off the back of your mouth. I rang the clinic and they suggested Difflam, an OTC mouthwash which is a local analgesic and anti-inflamatory. Anything slightly acidic (even tomato soup) is extremely painful to eat and I have been living on eggs which seem not to offend the ulcers. They look like about a cluster of 15 or 20 small normal mouth ulcers. Horrendous.

As for the actual site of the extractions and the state of my jaw - I have been doped up on prescription painkillers including a morphine one and I'm completely wiped out. When the painkillers wear off it's hell - from my ear to my chin. I need to go back into work tomorrow but I can't see how I'm going to be much good to anyone. I am even scared to drive so I'm going to use public transport.

The swelling has mostly subsided thank goodness - I can be seen in public again!

Anyway. The procedure itself was absolutely fine - just fell asleep. Slight pain on waking and they gave me strong painkillers right away which put me into a nice haze.

The aftermath, particularly from Thurs on with the ulcers, is the worst bit.

but everyone's different and some people are absolutely grand. And I'm a bad patient to be honest.

progress cadet Registered User
#137

I had my 4 wisdom teeth out last Friday along with 4 premolars. I was reading this thread beforehand and thought it was helpful.

Anyway I'll be honest and say that it hasn't been a very easy week. I was asleep when the 8 teeth were extracted, altogether it took one hour from going to sleep to waking up. When I woke up I felt fine, got the bus home with my dad (I'm 25 by the way). Was given lots of painkillers and everything was great. The left side of my face started to swell on the first day.

The second day was the worst by far, my face looked like Quagmire from Family Guy. I woke up in the night needing to take more painkillers. I could not eat anything other than yogurt, ice cream and scrambled egg for the rest of that day.

Sunday (3rd day) was grand, again I was limited on what I could eat. I made the big mistake of going to the pub. I had 2 pints and that pretty much put me to sleep. It also seemed to have messed me up for the next day as I was dizzy and sleepy for all of Monday.

Most of the Swelling was gone on Tuesday BUT... I started to get mouth ulcers. I actually read the post above this before I left on Friday and had a feeling this would happen as I easily get them. If you get these normally it does make life a lot harder. I also started to notice a lot of bruising from my bottom lip and cheeks to the end of my neck.

I went to work today and was sent home, I think this was because of the bruising but they just said it was for insurance reasons. I'm guessing I'll be fully recovered in another 2 days or so. I was also finished with my painkillers today so that makes things a little harder.

Another strange thing, I had the hiccups on and off (mostly on) for the first 3 days. I don't know if this is common but it was very annoying.

Anyway overall I guess it's not too bad. I was really worried before but honestly I'm glad it's done. I'm also sure it is nothing compared to jaw surgery which I have to get next year (top and bottom). At the end of the day if the wisdom teeth are giving you problem it's best to just get them out and be done with it.

Busi_Girl08 Registered User
#138

Hi everyone!!

Right, just back from the ortho today, and I was told that I will be getting my braces out (FINALLY!!) on the 2nd of June.

Anyways, when I first had the braces in, back in October of 2006, the ortho noticed that my bottom wisdom teeth were almost completely horizontal, and that she would see how they were when my teeth were sorted out.

2 1/2 year and 2 canine extractions later, the top ones came down fine, but only a tiny peak of the bottom right, no change with the other (so they're impact?)

I never really had any problems with them to be honest, never any serious pain or headaches/migraines, maybe the odd aches, and the right bottom gum swells up a bit now and again.

She said she'll see how it will look next time when she takes x rays and whatever for the retainer, and then she will probably send me to a specialist, and then she asked me about my insurance and whatnot.

Just wondering ,what should I expect?!
I'm kind of preparing myslef for the worst, ie having to get them out, surgery, etc.
Does it look like I'm going down that route to ye?

Evil-p Registered User
#139

Hi, got all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed this morning under general anistethic in Santry sports clinic privately covered by quinn health care.

So far my jaw feels stiff, i have a little bruising on my left eye for some reason and my throat is a little sore. I have taken solphedine twice. Once by the nurse when i woke up and again around lunchtime. I am also on an anti-imflammatory and antibiotic.

Honestly, I have felt way worse with a head cold! I realise that i will probably bruise and swell more overnight but I can totally handle this level of pain without even being moody! To complicate matters i'm a smoker so obviously i am not smoking at the moment. I have a patch on cos i don't want to deal with the pressure of cold turkey today of all days! I've tried and failed to quit a couple of times this year so hopefully this will jump start a successful quit. If anyone is waiting to get them out and smokes, read up on dry root and i gaurantee you that you will not smoke while you're healing! Sounds like agony!!!

Just trying to figure out what to eat! Had a Yopliat in the clinic and a muller light for lunch and i don't really know what to do for dinner. I have to eat to take the anti-inflammatories! Soup is the obvious solution but i'm not supposed to take hot drinks for 24 hours so i presume soup is considered one. Maybe scrammbelled eggs? Any suggestions welcome!!

FIRE Registered User
#140

I had my 4 wisdom teeth out in November 2008.

Had no problems at all, had a great surgeon and only had pain for a few days after. I had a general and was in at 9am and out by 1pm. With 2 hours recovery before they let me go home.

All in all probably a very good experience, considering some peoples traumas.

Attachments
teeth.jpg
tinkerbella23 Registered User
#141

thanks for your reasuring experience i have to have 2 wisdom teeth out on my left side of my mouth and am worried after the doctor told me about the chance of one hitting the nerve that runs along the side of my jaw and two having a numbness sensation in my mouth and tongue for life!! my nerves are gone thinking about it!

Mink Registered User
#142

Busi_Girl08 said:
2 1/2 year and 2 canine extractions later, the top ones came down fine, but only a tiny peak of the bottom right, no change with the other (so they're impact?)

I never really had any problems with them to be honest, never any serious pain or headaches/migraines, maybe the odd aches, and the right bottom gum swells up a bit now and again.

She said she'll see how it will look next time when she takes x rays and whatever for the retainer, and then she will probably send me to a specialist, and then she asked me about my insurance and whatnot.

Just wondering ,what should I expect?!
I'm kind of preparing myslef for the worst, ie having to get them out, surgery, etc.
Does it look like I'm going down that route to ye?


You might not. I was in same boat. Told few years ago that bottom ones would impact soon & prob all wisdom teeth to come out. But while at dentist today she checked it out & top 2 have come down & bottom ones seem to still be there & may or may not come up. Per xray (not of wisdom's but of teeth beside) it looks like I'm missing one of the bottom ones (yes this can happen too) and there's still loads of space beside other one. I'm 27 so if they were going to impact, probably would have by now, me thinks

She said that sometimes they just stop moving & don't come up. If you have swelling or pain of any kind then def get it checked. If not, best to leave them be... which is exactly what I'm going to do with mine! I was convinced I'd have to get them all out as my sister did & we have similar jaw/teeth structure.

shunney Registered User
#143

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a place in Ennis to get the wisdom teeth extracted ? or if not, anywhere in Limerick ?

and can you just book straight in or do you have to go to dentist first and be referred ?

Thanks

whatdoicare Registered User
#144

shunney said:
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a place in Ennis to get the wisdom teeth extracted ? or if not, anywhere in Limerick ?

and can you just book straight in or do you have to go to dentist first and be referred ?

Thanks

I can recommend Rob Wallace in Limerick. He's just around the side of the crescent shopping centre across from kilteragh entrance. Had two removed today and my face isnt even swollen! No pain involved at all and he's as gentle and thoughtful. I really recommend him. I'll pm u his numver if you want? I just rang up and booked- no bother at all.

shunney Registered User
#145

whatdoicare said:
I can recommend Rob Wallace in Limerick. He's just around the side of the crescent shopping centre across from kilteragh entrance. Had two removed today and my face isnt even swollen! No pain involved at all and he's as gentle and thoughtful. I really recommend him. I'll pm u his numver if you want? I just rang up and booked- no bother at all.



Yes please

Thanks for that, much appreciated

WithCheesePlease Registered User
#146

Great thread by the way! I need to get my top right wisdom tooth out, actually feel better having read through this!

Just wondering though - how much recovery time should you allow yourself after this? As in could I get it done in the morning and go back to work? Or should I allow myself 1 or 2 days off?

whatdoicare Registered User
#147

gearoid_healy said:
Great thread by the way! I need to get my top right wisdom tooth out, actually feel better having read through this!

Just wondering though - how much recovery time should you allow yourself after this? As in could I get it done in the morning and go back to work? Or should I allow myself 1 or 2 days off?

I'd at least take the day off- you'll be fair sore. My dentist said not to do anything at all for the first 24 hours in case you start bleeding again.

1 person has thanked this post
#148

If so, how was training impacted, were you knackered and just couldnt train propperly for weeks, or is the worst of it over in a week and its business as usual?

Im planning a fast paced cycletour in france, but want to be recovered enough to enjoy it within about 2 weeks of having my lower wisdom teeth/tooth out (they are impacted and need to be cut out of gum (jaw?) before I go. How long does is take to 'bounce back' into hard training again?

thanks.

whatdoicare Registered User
#149

me@ucd said:
If so, how was training impacted, were you knackered and just couldnt train propperly for weeks, or is the worst of it over in a week and its business as usual?

Im planning a fast paced cycletour in france, but want to be recovered enough to enjoy it within about 2 weeks of having my lower wisdom teeth/tooth out (they are impacted and need to be cut out of gum (jaw?) before I go. How long does is take to 'bounce back' into hard training again?

thanks.

Depends on what you need done? I'm on day 5 after two out under local. I was fair knackered for the first four (from lack of food and tablets i reckon -and all i was taking was neurofin) but I'm fairly back to normal today. If yr going under general anesthetic and have any kind of complicated surgery (impacted, bone shelf removal, all four out at once etc..) I'd imagine that intense excercise after a short time would be nigh on impossible. I'd probably opt for the surgery after you come back from yr cycletour if at all possible if I was you.
Hope that helps

1 person has thanked this post
#150

whatdoicare said:
Depends on what you need done? I'm on day 5 after two out under local. I was fair knackered for the first four (from lack of food and tablets i reckon -and all i was taking was neurofin) but I'm fairly back to normal today.


Thanks! Which two did you have done? upper or lower? theres a BIG difference
oh and I will probably be getting both lower ones out at same time, and they are impacted, but dentist said could be done under a local, but they still need some bone to be removed, nothing too major though it seems.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!