jdivision Registered User

Yeah, it's where Guess? and some other shops, Venu Brasserie and some office are on South Anne Street. It wasn't the whole place but McGonagles was part of the block

noknees8 Registered User

Hi Mcgonagles was in Anne street south,used to go to see the Alsations there.Can any one remember the name of the restaurant across from it.We used to go there late at night and eat spagetti bolonaise..thought we were so cool!

crow_eat_crow Registered User

Saw the Tom Tom Club play there so many years ago...

Gaspode Woof!

Great venue, saw lots of bands there, standout one was probably when Ozzy was there blooding in a new guitarist after Zakk Wylde died.

blue4ever Registered User

m-m-m-m-mega venue, downstairs, place was lit. Its was, literally, opposite John Keoghs, but between the corner where the travel agents is now and the corner of Dawson St,
Champaign Cider was one of the things they flogged coz it had a wine licence

Gyalist Registered User

Truth be told, the place was a horrible, smelly dive. My abiding memory of the place is of my shoes sticking to the floor when trying to walk in the club.

I remember them selling Babycham or something similar because they didn't have a drinks licence.

I went to see the Inspiral Carpets there and the crowd broke the floor that night. I remember I had just started playing bass at the time and was watching the roadie intently setting up the guitars.
Found out 15yrs later it was some bloke called Noel Gallagher

bdr529 Registered User

they used to have Club Sandanista there on saturday nights, all they served at the bar was Ritz, they also had raves when House music came out first as far as I can remember, the RTE program Nighthawks had their camera's there one night....

CFC1969 Registered User

Gaspode said:
Great venue, saw lots of bands there, standout one was probably when Ozzy was there blooding in a new guitarist after Zakk Wylde died.

+1 , He done two nights there .... just out of a clinic and was on fire !!!!

Pity it and the Top Hat are gone, two good venues

1 person has thanked this post

CFC1969 said:
+1 , He done two nights there .... just out of a clinic and was on fire !!!!

Pity it and the Top Hat are gone, two good venues

Remember going to see the Stranglers there

Degsy Banned

noknees8 said:
Hi Mcgonagles was in Anne street south,used to go to see the Alsations there.Can any one remember the name of the restaurant across from it.We used to go there late at night and eat spagetti bolonaise..thought we were so cool!

The place where the staff were notoirously rude?

Called the Coffee Inn.

dcr22B Registered User

Gaspode said:

Zakk Wylde is still alive and kicking, I'm presuming you mean Randy Rhoads?

Gaspode Woof!

dcr22B said:
Zakk Wylde is still alive and kicking, I'm presuming you mean Randy Rhoads?

D'oh, of course!

Used to love Soul on Ice and Voodoo - two acid/dance nights around 1988 and 89 that were on in McGonagles. Tgink I have a load of posters from the nights in my ma's house somewhere... They got in loads of DJs that went on to be a lot better known: think the likes of Norman Jay, Coldcut, Jay Strongman and Mike Pickering all played IIRC. Memory is a bit hazy though

noknees8 Registered User

Degsy said:
The place where the staff were notoirously rude?

Called the Coffee Inn.

Thanks,yes thats the place.Food came out a hatch to servers?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!