fly_agaric
All I see being given any prominence (1 link in from the top story) on bbc news at the moment (8pm) is

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5216230.stm

"The report says there was fierce fighting in the area for about six hours before the post was hit"

Also that "Our correspondent says the UN claims that after each call [to the IDF], it was assured the firing would stop."

Manic Moran Moderator

As an aside, some of the God Squad on other fora I frequent are viewing the discovery of that ancient manuscript in the Irish Midlands last week open at Psalm 83 (A lament to God that other countries are trying to destroy Israel) as a Sign of the Righteousness of the Israeli Cause.

"A religous war is like two people arguing over who's got the best imaginary friend." Can't remember who said that.

NTM

tallus Caveat Emptor

nuttz
It could be mere incompetence that it took them 6 hours to hit the target, how long has the post been there, I think someone mentioned two years.

It's there at least 20 years according to a mate of mine who is currently a serving member of our rdf.

Bookee Registered User

What's this about "Friendly Fire" amongst the Israelis... ?

Carcharodon Registered User

I read through most of this thread and found it very interesting, the different opinions and perspectives.

I was wondering if anyone has a good link to something or even a book that would break down the whole situation that has come about over the past few centuries.
Israel has always come across as the bad guy but i would like to see how the whole middle east crissis arrose.

Manic Moran Moderator

You can have the short version, or the long version.

The Long Version probably wouldn't fit in the Encylopaedia Britannica.

The short version goes like this.

"We are God's chosen people, our view of God is the True one, and God has chosen us to live on this land"

"The hell he did. We are God's chosen, and this is our holy land."

"Fat chance"

"Sod off"

*Biff* *Splat* *Bam*

etc.

NTM

LostinBlanch Registered User

Carcharodon,

you could do worse than read some Leon Uris.

Exodus: Covers the founding of Israel. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553258478/ref=pd_sim_b_1/103-7664886-3884631?ie=UTF8

The Haj: His version of the Palestinian viewpoint. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553248642/103-7664886-3884631?v=glance&n=283155. This has drawn some complaints about it's portrayal of arabs. But maybe you can read it and make your own mind up.

Trinity: This is what he cosidered his best book (it's all about us).http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553248642/103-7664886-3884631?v=glance&n=283155

They're big books (exodus and The Haj are abetween 500 - 600 pages) but don't let that put you off. They are well written and he really tries to get inside the mindset of everyone involved.

I'd recommend his books to anyone interested in trying to understand how things have come to the state they are now.

Carcharodon

I was wondering if anyone has a good link to something or even a book that would break down the whole situation that has come about over the past few centuries.

If you find an unbiased book with no obvious slant on it please let me know. History is written by the victors and countered by the victims. It might be a case where you will have to read several different accounts and then use your own judgment to decide what it is you want to believe. Looking into the past is very necessary but it shouldn't cloud judgment when trying to find a solution for the present and future. Learn from history, don’t repeat its mistakes.

Tbh I think manic morans account in the post above is probably the best I've read. After about 10 years having an interest in politics and history and reading material constantly over that period of time I think manics account pretty much sums up the Israeli conflict better than any long winded and opinionated books I've ever read. (well not quite but it is an accurate if only very basic account none the less)

Manic Moran

"We are God's chosen people, our view of God is the True one, and God has chosen us to live on this land"

"Fat chance"

"Sod off"

*Biff* *Splat* *Bam*

etc.

NTM

Lol. I think we should give them all porkchops to throw at each other. And if that doesn't work bring in the menstruating women.

tallus Caveat Emptor

I read a few of Uris's books when I was younger, Battle cry and Mila 18 both excellent reads. My old man was a big fan of Leon heh

LordSutch Registered User

I know it sounds strange for an Irish person to be "Pro-Israeli" but believe me when I say I am 100% behind Israel, having lived & worked there for a whole year back in the late 80s. I can sympathise/ empathise with the Israelis cause 100%, there was feuding and a history between them & their neighbours back in the 80s just as there is today! (you can either take one side or the other), but I am firmly on the side of Israel because of my contacts & friendship with them over the years.

Six years ago the IDF vacated Lebanon on the basis that the vacuum would be filled (either by the Lebanese army or the UN) or whatever, as long as South Lebanon was safe and not a Threat to the State of Israel & I say "fair enough I say to that" but Six years later.................... Hezbollah have been deliberately spoiling for a fight (correct) by killing eight Israeli soldiers & by kidnapping another two + firing rockets into Northern Israel & by generally asking for trouble.

So what should Israel do then? keep taking this crapp from Hisbolla or turn the other cheek maybe? considering that Hezbollah & the Lebanese authorities were firmly warned over the six years that there would be serious concequences if Hisbolla filled the vacuum once again & posed a threat to the security of Israel .................

So finally, in my opinion, the sooner Hisbolla are 'cleaned out' lock stock and barrell the better for all concerned (especially the decent law abiding citizens of Lebannon) who are unwitting Hezbollah Pawns!

A Dub in Glasgo Registered User

Manic Moran

"Fat chance"

"Sod off"

*Biff* *Splat* *Bam*

etc.

NTM

Very good lol

God (who does not exist) has a lot to answer for!

A Dub in Glasgo Registered User

ArthurF
I know it sounds strange for an Irish person to be "Pro-Israeli" but believe me when I say I am 100% behind Israel, having lived & worked there for a whole year back in the late 80s. I can sympathise/ empathise with the Israelis cause 100%, there was feuding & a history between them back in the 80s just as there is today (and you can either take one side or the other), but I am firmly on the side of Israel because of my contacts & friendship with them over the years.

Six years ago the IDF vacated Lebanon on the basis that the vacuum would be filled (either by the Lebanonese army or the UN) or whatever, as long as South Lebanon was safe and not a Threat to the State of Israel & I say "fair enough I say to that"
but Six years later.................... Hezbollah have been deliberately spoiling for a fight (correct) by killing eight Israeli soldiers & by kidnapping another two + firing rockets into Northern Israel & by generally asking for trouble.

So what should Israel do then? keep taking this crapp from Hisbolla or turn the other cheek maybe? considering that Hezbollah & the Lebanese authorities were firmly warned over the six years that there would be serious concequences if Hisbolla filled the vacuum once again & posed a threat to the security of Israel .................

So finally, in my opinion, the sooner Hisbolla are 'cleaned out' lock stock and barrell the better for all concerned (especially the decent law abiding citizens of Lebannon) who are unwitting Hezbollah Pawns!

100% behind the slaughter of innocent people including women & children?

ArthurF
(and you can either take one side or the other)

or you can do the sensible thing and not take sides but instead praise and encourage anyone who makes positive progressive moves and protest and condemn anyone who is counter productive and killing innocent people. When you "pick a side" you leave yourself open to having to defend actions taken by your chosen side that are wrong because if you don’t defend your side when its wrong then you will become an enemy sympathiser in the eyes of your chose side.

bounty Registered User

if i was president of israel, i'd invade, occupy and regime change those lebanese terrorists

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!