nikolaitr Registered User

I have just done a Marks and Spencer phone interview which comprised of questions which had multiple choice answers and example of which would be

Q: A disabled person calls you at M&S to complain about road works outside the shop which prevents them from shopping there as there is no car park facilities available....how would you reply

1: Tell them a location of another car park, and give them directions

2: Offer to call a taxi for them to and from M&S

3: Offer to call them back when the road works have finished apologising for the inconvenience.

Well i choose 3, and I passed overall...They had 20-something overall. And all the multiple choice answers seemed right e.g none of them were straight forward

I was just wondering, is it actually a test to see what job in M&S on would be best for or if the person is suitable for M&S in general. Bear in mind I was applying for a basic job...not management

Gillo Registered User

I would have said 2, but yeah 3 is good also.

without seeing all the questions it's hard to say, but I'd say it was to see how you deal with customers, and solve problems.

BuffyBot Administrator

I was just wondering, is it actually a test to see what job in M&S on would be best for or if the person is suitable for M&S in general.

A bit of both, most likely along side your creative thinking skills and customer focus.

Another question was

Q: What kind of boss would you prefer

1: One who gives praise when good work is done

2: One who gives simples clear cut instructions

3: One who shows how you to do your job properly

Any HR people know about these kind of questionairres?? I´m just curoius at this stage

Suaimhneach Moderator

I did an interview once like that, for data input, so I thought those questions were weird, considering the position.

It was really random questions though like : What do you think it is better to be as a person? Understanding, Strong, Argumentative, Confident.

I was like, em... all of the above depending... really ambiguous questions.

Least to say they never rang me back...

m*pp*t Registered User

Just out of curiousity nikolaitr how did you get the phone interview? Had you answered an ad or did you just walk into a shop with a CV? I'm going back to college next year doing the Dip and I'm trying to sort out getting part time work for next year ('cause finding sumnmer work so far has been a complete wash out).

I just spread my CV´s far and wide. I must have handed out 50 and that was my only call back. Its getting really hard to find a job for us student types....

Dave! Moderator

Hey folks,

I'm gonna ring up M&S in a few hours and I presume I'm gonna be given this phone interview.

Just a couple of questions--

Is it automated? ie. the questions are pre-recorded and you press a button on the phone for your answer? If it's automated then that's alot less taxing than live.......

And does anyone remember any more questions they asked? It'd be good to have a heads up.

easyontheeye Registered User

i did that phone interview before for a part time job while in college...i couldn't believe at the end of the interview she said i didnt pass!!

I felt dumb...but then i realised it was only a poxy interview anyway...all customer interaction scenario based etc

Dave! Moderator

Just a couple of questions--

Is it automated? ie. the questions are pre-recorded and you press a button on the phone for your answer? If it's automated then that's alot less taxing than live.......

And does anyone remember any more questions they asked? It'd be good to have a heads up.

Oh and how many do I need to get right to pass?

mathie Registered User

nikolaitr
I just spread my CV´s far and wide. I must have handed out 50 and that was my only call back. Its getting really hard to find a job for us student types....

I remeber beign told by a recruitment agent (ugh I know, I feel so dirty) that it was a bad idea to put your CV around too many places as it reflects badly on yourself.

WTF?!

I always fail the M&S one. ALWAYS. lol.

Dave! Moderator

mathie
I remeber beign told by a recruitment agent (ugh I know, I feel so dirty) that it was a bad idea to put your CV around too many places as it reflects badly on yourself.

WTF?!

Sounds like bullsh*t to me... How would it reflect badly on you? Do the various employers get together for a conference and make fun of the people who sent in CVs? They wouldn't even know that you sent it to another store!!!

Seems like the agency wants to be the only one distributing your CV.

I did that phone interview a few years ago. They told me that i wasn't suitable for Blanchardstown (where i had applied) but i was suitable for Mary St. Weirdos.

Doctor DooM Moderator

This sounds like psychometric testing. Theres no real wrong or right answers, but apparently overall they get an image of how your mind works.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!