fightin irish Registered User

Dam i should be in bed.....Found this pretty decent video of a few live exercises withe an RDF batt. Hopefully not all will have seen it.

It might answer some questions of what people were expecting they might be doing if joining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7fdy56juAA&search=irish%20army

Explosive_Cornflake Registered User

Bad music mad me close that tab I'm afraid.

Hagar User 7841

Nice video but the music wasn't the best.

NMM

Yeah the music is pants alright, But good footage of the mortar firing and the gpmg on the range.

Dub13 Moderator

The lads look very happy because they are up in a chopper.

Scruff Registered User

wouldn't you be? beats driving around in a car.

lostexpectation Registered User

fightin irish
Dam i should be in bed.....Found this pretty decent video of a few live exercises withe an RDF batt. Hopefully not all will have seen it.

It might answer some questions of what people were expecting they might be doing if joining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7fdy56juAA&search=irish%20army

yeah right join the army and fire at the skyand have no-one shooting at you

Hagar User 7841

The only thing that was fired skyward in the video were mortar shells.
That is the way they are normally used. They fly in an arc towards the target.
You don't know much about things that go bang do you?

NMM

lostexpectation
yeah right join the army and fire at the skyand have no-one shooting at you

Have you anything intelligent to add to the thread? If you read this forum you will see alot of people asking what the RDF is like and that they are thinking to join......So maybe this video gives a little insight of what to expect.

Do you understand the idea of mortars?

r3nu4l Administrator

Admittedly not a bad video for an amateur effort and considering the budget for this was probably SFA other than the pleasure of making it I suppose.

However if anyone looking at this thinks that by joining an infantry batallion of the RDF they are going to have the luxury of having two (or even one) Alouette helicopters at their disposal every weekend then they are sadly mistaken so it's not exactly an accurate impression of a 'typical' days exercise now is it?

Even British TA infantry don't get that kind of budget and they actually serve in war zones like Iraq and Afghanistan.

The GPMG and mortar stuff was accurate enough as was the whole idea of the RDF being a good social outlet! Good job overall, shame about the music chosen.

Yeah i should of said that about the choppers. I spent five or so years in the FCA and never even smelled a chopper.

Altho by the looks on the 3 guys faces, they looked like 6 year olds on the big wheel at funderland for the first time

r3nu4l Administrator

fightin irish
Altho by the looks on the 3 guys faces, they looked like 6 year olds on the big wheel at funderland for the first time

Yep, their faces reminded me of when the Summer Project took us to Belgard Fire Station when I was six and we were allowed into the cabin of the fire appliance while the siren and lights were on

lostexpectation Registered User

fightin irish
Have you anything intelligent to add to the thread? If you read this forum you will see alot of people asking what the RDF is like and that they are thinking to join......So maybe this video gives a little insight of what to expect.

Do you understand the idea of mortars?

oh very clever you expect me to get into a technical discussion on mortars now do you.

firing at the sky was a general term for the shooting in the vid, as i said i await to see you talk about people on the receiving end which the kids at school will not see

Hagar User 7841

lostexpectation, this is a military forum. Dicussion of mortars being fired skyward towards their targets is the norm around here. That was obviously a practice range so no people were at the receiving end.

This is the sort of discussion that will go on around here whether you like it or not. If you don't like it please feel free to withdraw from the forum without criticising it further and there will be no hard feelings all round. If you choose to participate in the forum you will be made welcome, but if you try to undermine it you will get an instant red card.

Hagar (Mod mode on)

babybundy Registered User

i must say one thing i love asking recruits for bodies to do the butts on the mortars ranges and someone always puts up there hands

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!