shnaek Registered User

Can you damage a car by leaving it parked on a 45 degree slope for 2 weeks? My girlfriend did this. Today is the first day she has driven it in almost two weeks and her engine is heating up a lot. She has had to pull over several times to let it cool.

The_Magoo Registered User

Parking at a slope should not be a problem, but you might want to check the radiator for coolant/water, might have a leak in your system, if left sitting for two weeks there might be feck all water in it!

shnaek
Can you damage a car by leaving it parked on a 45 degree slope for 2 weeks? My girlfriend did this. Today is the first day she has driven it in almost two weeks and her engine is heating up a lot. She has had to pull over several times to let it cool.

Only way would be if you forgot to pull the handbrake and it rolled down the hill

Parking on a hill will not cause damage to a car

MrPudding Registered User

Is there a chance the brakes are seized slightly which could be causing extra work for the engine?

MrP

shnaek Registered User

MrPudding
Is there a chance the brakes are seized slightly which could be causing extra work for the engine?

MrP

I'll check that out.

Anan1 Registered User

Have you checked all the fluids yet? I'd be thinking along the same lines as the magoo on this one.

If the brakes were seized to the point of having to stop the engine to let it cool, there would be smoke also coming off the brakes. Do you find you have to work the engine harder to maintain progress?
Possible causes of over heating engine
- No coolant
- Blockage in cooling system
- Thermostat not opening
- Head gasket fecked
- Fan not working

What year is the car, make, mileage, last serviced, normal driving envoirment, town or country, whats the coolant level like?

Edit - - Double post sorry!

tabatha Registered User

can a car be damaged by parking half on a footpath. left side up and right side down? just wondering thanks.

Anan1 Registered User

tabatha
can a car be damaged by parking half on a footpath. left side up and right side down? just wondering thanks.

As long as the car is not completely upside down, you should be OK.

daymobrew Registered User

tabatha
Probably only by pedestrians extracting long overdue revenge for this unpunished offence (it's even listed in the old "Rules of the Road").

tabatha

Depends how high the footpath is! And how fast you mount it!

Kermitt Registered User

shnaek

Is there such thing as a 45 degree slope on any public road/street in this country? thats a 1 in 1 slope.. never seen this other than offroad.

ek942 Registered User

Anan1
As long as the car is not completely upside down, you should be OK.

Ha Ha..Like this?

Attachments
integra.jpg
Litcagral Registered User

Kermitt
Is there such thing as a 45 degree slope on any public road/street in this country? thats a 1 in 1 slope.. never seen this other than offroad.

Yes, I think the steepest roads are 1 in 4 or 5. The only time I recall seeing a car at 45 degrees would be some car transporters.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!