pod Registered User

Are 50cc mopeds/scooters only suitable for very short journeys, such as a mile or two, or can they comfortably be used for longer journeys?

How many miles can they comfortably be used for?

If you were doing a round trip of 20 miles, would you really need a larger engined moped/motorbike?

seamus Dental Plan!

My brother (and his girlfriend) did a trip from Dublin to Cork on a 50cc Vespa a few years back. It wasn't the most pleasant experience, but it proves that you can travel long distances on these machines.
The length of the trip doesn't matter all that much. If you're doing a ten mile trip to work, 8 of which are in built-up areas/traffic, then it makes little difference. Most of your time is spent waiting at lights anyway. If however a big chunk of that journey is on dual carraigeways or long open road, then I would recommend something with a little more poke that can keep up with the rest of the traffic - both for safety and boredom reasons.

pod Registered User

Thanks Seamus

- it'd just be country driving, so no major roads.

And very little traffic - if any...

Fighting Irish Registered User

When i had mine i would travel at least 5 miles a day just spinning around town and that, you could drive as far as you wanted. You could drive on big roads but it gets very boring

pod Registered User

Since mopeds don't have much storage space, apart from maybe a space under the seat for a helmet, is it possible to purchase some type of moped panniers for carrying groceries in?

Pigeon Reaper Registered User

you can get a top box for them. I haven't seen any around with panniers.

ifah Registered User

i had a 125cc scooter for a 10 mile commute each way to work and almost every day I wished for a bigger bike - my top speed was about 55mph (on a good day) but even so it was tough at times trying to keep up with traffic, not having enough juice to overtake, not to mention the instability of those small tyres etc.

i'd advise against a 50cc for the type of mileage you're talking about - go for a 125cc bike (insurance class 2) and you're laughing.

madrab Hosted Moderator

i travelled around crete & corfu on 50cc kitana's

Slaanesh Moderator

madrab
i travelled around crete & corfu on 50cc kitana's

Yeah but didn't we all ?

The weather over there is fantastic and you didn't mind the longer journeys because you were having so much fun exploring !

madrab Hosted Moderator

Slaanesh
Yeah but didn't we all ?

The weather over there is fantastic and you didn't mind the longer journeys because you were having so much fun exploring !

ahh the memories.....

Hagar User 7841

seamus
My brother (and his girlfriend) did a trip from Dublin to Cork on a 50cc Vespa a few years back. It wasn't the most pleasant experience...

That has made my day.

seamus Dental Plan!

Hagar
That has made my day.

They also drove to Mayo on an FZR250. Racing-style bike, with a rear "seat" that's about 6cm x 10cm, grand for small journeys. Needless to say, she now has a car to make such journeys

pod Registered User

ifah
i had a 125cc scooter for a 10 mile commute each way to work and almost every day I wished for a bigger bike - my top speed was about 55mph (on a good day) but even so it was tough at times trying to keep up with traffic, not having enough juice to overtake, not to mention the instability of those small tyres etc.

i'd advise against a 50cc for the type of mileage you're talking about - go for a 125cc bike (insurance class 2) and you're laughing.

The bike would just be for country roads, so there'd be virtually no traffic to deal with.

Do all 50cc mopeds sound like 50cc mopeds...?

Sometimes I hear a moped going past and it can be quite high pitched because of the small engine.

Do any of the 50cc mopeds have a quieter engine noise, or do most/all 50cc mopeds have this problem of having a high pitched tinny engine noise?

pod
Are 50cc mopeds/scooters only suitable for very short journeys, such as a mile or two, or can they comfortably be used for longer journeys?

How many miles can they comfortably be used for?

If you were doing a round trip of 20 miles, would you really need a larger engined moped/motorbike?

Dublin-Dundalk and back never gave mine any problems.
Long time ago now, before the motorways.
Wouldn't do it every day though.

pod Registered User

Gurgle
Dublin-Dundalk and back never gave mine any problems.
Long time ago now, before the motorways.
Wouldn't do it every day though.

On a 50cc...?

Pigeon Reaper
you can get a top box for them. I haven't seen any around with panniers.

Can you get much in those top boxes? Or are they only big enough for storing a helmet in when you park the bike?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!